Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I load a 65” TV into my Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking to purchase a 65” TV and was wondering if anyone has attempted to load one into their Model 3 in either the trunk or back seat. It seems like it may be a really tight fit so I would prefer not to buy it only to find it doesn’t fit.

Thanks!

Best chance would be to fold the backseats flat and lay the TV in from the trunk, then slide forward onto the now flat seats. Sliding the tv on its back of course. I don’t think width of the TV will be an issue but height may. You’ll want to measure the height first then measure between the most narrow point in the trunk to see if that will fit.

if not, it always pays to have a friend with a truck or a larger vehicle.

Found this online that may be of help:
  • Min width bottom 37 inches

• Min width top 31 inches

• Max depth (seats up) 42 inches

• Max height 18 inches

• Depth (seats down) 67 inches to rear seats, 75 inches to front seats

• Trunk cubby width 27 inches top, 24 inches bottom

• Cubby depth 18 inches top, 15 inches bottom

• Cubby height 12 inches

• Disagree
Reactions: JulienW
Best chance would be to fold the backseats flat and lay the TV in from the trunk, then slide forward onto the now flat seats. Sliding the tv on its back of course. I don’t think width of the TV will be an issue but height may. You’ll want to measure the height first then measure between the most narrow point in the trunk to see if that will fit.

if not, it always pays to have a friend with a truck or a larger vehicle.
The large glass is at risk of cracking when not vertical or with support. The typical shipping boxes do not provide the support needed to lay the glass horizontal.

I rent a van by the hour from Home Depot for these jobs.

Thanks everyone. It looks like it might fit depending on the size of the box, but it would definitely have to lie flat. I wonder if shipping companies really keep the boxes upright while on their trucks.
Keep in mind I'm super paranoid about expensive things breaking, I'm in the minority here as almost everyone else thinks laying it flat is fine if you take it easy.
I had a 72" Sony and 55" Sony LCD ordered online and shipped to my house. If it's a shipper don't sign until you inspect it, meaning open the box up and look for cracks. Actually I had a 65" plasma shipped back in the day as well. If it's a store delivering do the same thing or have them install it for you if the price isn't horrible.

To answer your question all three of my shipments were in the truck properly, I looked. But people that don't care are everywhere.

Be thankful that rear projection CRT sets are behind us. :)

I used to work for a TV manufacturer, and occasionally had to take my work home, so here's my advice:

1) Best way to transport the TV is vertically
2) The floor behind the front seats is flat, which is fantastic for this purpose
3) If carrying the TV without a box, as I used to, have the screen facing backwards.
4) If carry the TV without a box, take off the stand, if it has one.
5) Big blanket, or two, to protect the TV

• Helpful
Reactions: jbcarioca
I went with the LG OLED C9 65 inch TV but the width of the box was 37.4” so I didn’t want to push my luck and just ordered it from Costco online. It was a better price than in the store anyway and I didn’t have to mess around with squeezing it into the trunk space. From the measurements I took it looked like I might have been able to angle it in but it was too close for my comfort to take the chance.

Reactions: Jim R
Cars are funny, dimension wise. All the TV manufacturers state that the flat screens should be shipped vertically. Would they be damaged on the drive home if flat? I don't know. When we bought a 65" about year ago, we found, to our surprise, that it would not fit in our CRV vertically. My son came with me to the store in our Honda Fit (he was going to a friends house after) and we were amazed, as was the Best Buy clerk, to find that it did fit in the Honda Fit. A much smaller car, but a higher roof-to-floor measurement. I guess that's why they call it the 'Fit.' :) After you purchased a large flat screen, if you want to take it home yourself the Best Buy employee follows you out to ensure that you load it vertically. Delivery was free, but would have taken 3 or 4 days, and required that we were home during the day. So we folded all the seats in the Fit just-so (front passenger seat ALL the way forward and it fit.

Thanks everyone. It looks like it might fit depending on the size of the box, but it would definitely have to lie flat. I wonder if shipping companies really keep the boxes upright while on their trucks.

Not a good idea to lay something like that flat for very long. One bump / flex and you could have an issue with the screen. There is almost no chance you are getting that in there in a box, either, you would likely have to take it out of the box. Much better to rent a truck from Home depot as mentioned, for an hour or something.. or even better buy it from a store that does free delivery and have them deliver to your threshhold if you dont want them in the house.

Either way is much better than laying it down out of a box in a car.

Is this a really expensive TV? I picked up a cheapo large tv from Walmart last Black Friday for the kids gaming room with no problem laying down in my Model 3.
If this is $1000 plus awesome OLED Or something I might be a little concerned enough to get larger vehicle for standing up.

Is this a really expensive TV? I picked up a cheapo large tv from Walmart last Black Friday for the kids gaming room with no problem laying down in my Model 3.
If this is $1000 plus awesome OLED Or something I might be a little concerned enough to get larger vehicle for standing up.

The TV was over $2,000 (OLED) so I took everyone's advice and had it shipped from Costco online. It was oddly a better price overall from the online store versus the local store.

• Informative
Reactions: cbaaz and JBT66