Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I lock my car without the screen or phone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a scary situation where I was waiting in my Tesla in a parking lot... It was a super sketchy and unsafe area.

The car doors where unlocked, and the screen was bugging out. It shut off and would not turn back on.

I couldn't figure out how to lock my car doors without the screen working.

Is there any way to manually lock/unlock my car doors without the screen?

This seems really dangerous to have to rely on the screen to be able to lock my doors... considering it quite frequently gets buggy and doesn't work.

Edit - Also I forgot to add, my tesla decided to blast the heat at the highest while this was happening, and I could not turn it off because the screen was black... I am in South Florida and it is beyond hot already... Very dangerous

Last edited:
When the entertainment/info screen crashes, it will automatically reboot. That might take a minute, during which time the AC/heat does sometimes go to max. It will get back to normal once the systems boots back. You should be able to open the windows in the meantime or get out of the car, those buttons are not linked to the infotainment system. This in itself should not be dangerous.
The infotainment system does not crash often at all, in normal usage. If you play with netflix, youtube or the web browser, you augment your chances of it crashing. If you are in a dangerous area, I suggest not using those features.
If your infotainment crashes often without using those features, I suggest you take an appointment.

I *think* the keyfob has a lock button. Otherwise yeah, it's screen or mobile app.

EDIT: Oh, you can also drive even when the infotainment is crashed. You could leave that dangerous place if you wanted to. You are not stuck.

I have found that you can lock and unlock the doors of the Tesla Model Y by pressing the door release button. I thought this would enable me to lock the doors while exiting the Model Y but the door immediately unlocks after pressing the button.

I have found that you can lock and unlock the doors of the Tesla Model Y by pressing the door release button. I thought this would enable me to lock the doors while exiting the Model Y but the door immediately unlocks after pressing the button.

@jcanoe are you saying you can lock the doors using the door release button? How does that work?

@hypeforeal one thing you could do is turn off the "unlock on park" feature, so that your vehicle stays locked when you arrive and put it in park. You can then tap the park button a second time to unlock all the doors, or just use your door release button to get out. That doesn't solve the problem if you just got into your vehicle in a sketchy area and the screen has flaked out. I've never tried it, but guessing you could pull the Tesla app up on your phone and tap the lock button there, even while being in the vehicle? Does anyone know?

@jcanoe are you saying you can lock the doors using the door release button? How does that work?

@hypeforeal one thing you could do is turn off the "unlock on park" feature, so that your vehicle stays locked when you arrive and put it in park. You can then tap the park button a second time to unlock all the doors, or just use your door release button to get out. That doesn't solve the problem if you just got into your vehicle in a sketchy area and the screen has flaked out. I've never tried it, but guessing you could pull the Tesla app up on your phone and tap the lock button there, even while being in the vehicle? Does anyone know?
I will have to try it, see if I can repeat the steps.

Also, you can use the voice command "Lock Doors"; this definitely works.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
@jcanoe oh I too rarely think to use voice commands. Good call. Do you know if they work while the infotainment system is going haywire/rebooting?
I don't know if the voice commands will work while the infotainment system, screen is rebooting. Fortunately my Model Y infotainment screen has not needed to be rebooted by me. The main voice control functions are activated using the right side steering wheel scroll wheel.

I tried using the door release button to lock the doors and it was a non starter. Not sure what I was thinking. The voice command does however work to lock, unlock the doors. Press the right side scroll wheel on the steering wheel and after the Tesla voice prompt tone is played, the voice dialog appears on the Tesla screen say "Lock doors" or "Lock the doors". You can also say "Unlock doors" or "Unlock the doors."

Perhaps someone whose Model Y regularly reboots the infotainment screen can try to use the voice command feature to lock the doors while the Model Y screen is booting.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Oddly, voice commands require the mobile data connection. I'm confident the data connection is lost during screen reboot, so it's unlikely voice commands will work in this scenario.

@alstoralset that was my initial thought too. If I happen to hit a screen reboot scenario and remember, I'll try it to confirm. (Unless someone beats me to it and reports back :) ).

Reactions: alstoralset
The key card can lock the car from outside. So maybe try to open the window and use your key card to tap the door pillar behind you. I haven't tried this myself yet.
I've just tried this - of course my screen was running at the time - and it can lock the car. It is pretty easy to reach out and tap on the pillar when the window is open all the way down.

Reactions: cancoi