Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I make it from Page AZ to Blanding UT Superchargers this weekend?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're planning an epic road trip from Newport Beach CA to Breckenridge CO via the "scenic route" through Springdale UT (Zion National Park) to the Superchargers in Page AZ and Blanding UT. The Page AZ to Blanding UT leg is " and 200 route miles" and 252 "rated miles" using EVTripPlanner.com and ABetterRoutePlanner.com both show I can barely make it in our 2015 P85D with 26k miles with 19" Michelin Primacy MX4 tires.

We were just at Zion, Bryce, and Page this weekend with an ICE. The elevation changes in the mountains and the headwind on the open desert roads (I-89) are crazy. You may want to spend a night at the Zion Lodge, they have EV chargers (one station at the visitor center and the other is for guests of the lodge).

It's a nice hotel too.

Here is someone charging at the visitor center on Saturday.

CDA0F03D-B94A-413C-944A-611ADE4BF519_zpsgm1jlihz.jpg

Reactions: jbcarioca
Are you going through monument valley?

Consider stopping at Goulding's RV park for a boost charge. Sounds like an hour or so would give you charging insurance.

We drove from Page to Goulding's last March (before the supercharger was in Page) and made that stretch just fine in our S60. We also drove Blanding to Goulding's last August. We took our S60 from Blanding to Flagstaff -- and charging at Goulding's for about 3.5 hours and Tuba City for 2 hours was less time than driving the Supercharger route via Farmington-Gallup-Holbrook-Flagstaff...

My calcs at this time of the year with the temperature and winds at both Page and Blanding make it look doubtful, if not impossible. I would want to plot some emergency RV park or something between those two places just in case.

There is this place you can get 50 amps at Bluff, UT.

Cadillac Ranch RV Park- Home Page

Do I need a special adapter for my UMC to use 50A RV receptacles? Or will the 14-50 adapter in my UMC bag do the trick?

Any idea what they charge?

Do I need a special adapter for my UMC to use 50A RV receptacles? Or will the 14-50 adapter in my UMC bag do the trick?
Any idea what they charge?
The 50 amp RV outlet is really a NEMA 14-50 outlet so no problem there.
Call ahead and make sure they are open. Some of the smaller RV parks close for the winter season.

Are you going through monument valley?

Consider stopping at Goulding's RV park for a boost charge. Sounds like an hour or so would give you charging insurance.

We drove from Page to Goulding's last March (before the supercharger was in Page) and made that stretch just fine in our S60. We also drove Blanding to Goulding's last August. We took our S60 from Blanding to Flagstaff -- and charging at Goulding's for about 3.5 hours and Tuba City for 2 hours was less time than driving the Supercharger route via Farmington-Gallup-Holbrook-Flagstaff...

Any idea what Goulding's RV Park charges?

Where did you charge in Tuba City? The "destination charger" at Moenkopi Legacy Inn & Suites shown on Tesla's charger map Find Us | Tesla ?

Thanks to all the great advice on Hypermiling our Tesla we made the 200 mile leg Monument Valley route from Page to Blanding with 18% charge remaining. Weather was 50's & 60's so we turned off the AC, winds were nominal (0-5 mph), roads were super smooth 90% of the way so we lowered our SAS, Range Mode ON, used AutoPilot 95% of the way with TACC set at 60 mph at the beginning, dropped to 55 mph for about 20 minutes when estimated arrival SoC dropped below 20%, then back up to 65 & 70 the last 50 miles.

We definitely would have had to stop if:
• headwinds incurred
• AC or heat running constantly, especially during extreme temps

Both Gouldings and Cadillac Ranch confirmed by phone we could charge there for $10.00. Great "back up plan" but we drove 20% slower than normal for the 1st 70% of this trip leg to eliminate an hour charging stop.

NOTE: there are LARGE areas where there is ZERO cellular coverage... so if you run out of power you're not going to be able to call roadside assistance. We always carry a SPOT Satellite GPS locator / emergency for "no cellular" areas like this just in case.

Supercharger at Blanding has 24 hour restrooms at the Visitor's Center next door staffed by a fascinating WWII veteran named Harold. Made the 1 hour recharge to 90% a pleasure. The City of Blanding (not Solar City) installed the solar panel array next to the Supercharger as part of their self-powered town. Talk about energy independence!

Best motel in Blanding is the Stone Lizard. The ONLY place to dine in Blanding is the Homestead Steak House which was packed on a Friday night.

Glad to hear this. I also have an 85D and am going to drive from Phoenix to flagstaff to page to Blanding in one day in mid august.
The Page to Blanding stretch is the one that pushes the range limit. We will go through monument valley, so the Goulding and Bluff options are nice to know about in case head winds or rain or something else pops up.

If anyone has recent experience, please share.

Just thought I’d add my experience from early September 2018. Five and a half year old P85 with 112,000 miles on the odometer. Fully charged in Page (to 243 miles), drove at 55 for about half the distance to Blanding then increased to 60-65 as it was clear I’d make it easily. Arrived in Blanding with about 38 miles left. I did have range mode on and the outside temperature was mild.

Where are you starting from and what is your normal range? Driving slower than the limit by 5 mph can add a decent amount of range.
Driving from Page to Moab, with a stop at Blanding. But, I do have a very full car with probably 600 lbs of people, luggage, and other gear. With 18k miles, original 18” Michelin’s, the car says 290 miles max at full charge. 180 miles has been my worst range experience, but that was 20 degrees, 80mph Interstate, high head winds, but not much elevation change. I am expecting to full charge at Page before we leave. And keeping the L2 in mind, if needed, at Twin Rocks in Bluff. I am most concerned with the elevation increase coming into Blanding. Actually, I am most concerned with my wife’s nervousness when the range meter goes “red”. :).
So, I want to pick the best route. Google Maps says the Monument Valley route is shortest, but maybe there is a bunch of extra elevation on that stretch?