Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I make it home from delivery? Raleigh to richmond

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't believe they do the home delivery anymore. I'd likely take delivery at a service center,,even if I had the option,,just in case there was something legitimately missing/wrong with the car. It could be repaired on the spot. Also, while taking delivery at a SC, I'll be solo. At home I'd likely have the kids climbing all over the car during the orientation process.

Yes, I'm fairly confident I'll be ok with the i85 route, I'll just be conservative on speed etc. Once I get closer, hopefully I'll have extra range saved up to get a bit more 'spirited' with the drive.

Plug your route into: EV Trip Planner

You should get a fairly good estimate with speed options.

Cool. My install was torturous in comparison, but not because of my electrician. Davis and Greene was excellent. The issue was the set up in my house, primarily the distance between the panels and the garage. Went around and around and couldn't find any way around running a lot of cable. At that point, I decided to go full bore and went ahead and did Dominion Power's Schedule EV service with the separate meter base and install a 200A panel in the garage.

Techmaven -- Did Dominion put the new meter near the garage? Or did they insist on putting it near your current meter? My 200A panel is full. I either need a subpanel for a 50A circuit, which may be difficult given my circuit breakers (I guess they don't make them any more), or would need a heavy-up to 400A and then a 50A, 100A, etc. run out to the garage. My ideal set-up at this point would be a new circuit/meter placed next to the garage and a 200A panel installed directly in the garage. This way I could have a HPWC and a 14-50, or even two HPWCs if we decided to get a second Tesla, but I wouldn't have to change my current panel in the house. However, I expect that Dominion will balk at the placement. On the other hand, if they have done it before, I might be able to cajole them.

I just went through a long discussion with Dominion about installing a separate EV meter at my home. In my case, I had a full house back up generator installed prior to getting my MS. Because of all the extra panels required (two transfer switches, master cutout switches, etc) it was not possible to install the separate EV meter "close" to the existing meter. It could have been installed above (higher) but Dominion said that would be a safety hazard and they would not allow it. They required that the second meter be placed a distance about 12 feet away at eye level, which would require the installation electricians to run conduit in a very tight area. In addition, my installation with the generator would have required an additional transfer switch. The cost got to be too much --- so I have decided not to go forward with the Dominion EV plan. The MS is used only about 200 - 250 miles per week, and the cost of my electric service increased by only about $25 - $35 a month with the MS. At that rate, it would have taken me many, many years to pay back the cost of installation for the EV meter.

I just went through a long discussion with Dominion about installing a separate EV meter at my home. In my case, I had a full house back up generator installed prior to getting my MS. Because of all the extra panels required (two transfer switches, master cutout switches, etc) it was not possible to install the separate EV meter "close" to the existing meter. It could have been installed above (higher) but Dominion said that would be a safety hazard and they would not allow it. They required that the second meter be placed a distance about 12 feet away at eye level, which would require the installation electricians to run conduit in a very tight area. In addition, my installation with the generator would have required an additional transfer switch. The cost got to be too much --- so I have decided not to go forward with the Dominion EV plan. The MS is used only about 200 - 250 miles per week, and the cost of my electric service increased by only about $25 - $35 a month with the MS. At that rate, it would have taken me many, many years to pay back the cost of installation for the EV meter.

So to be clear: dominion required the second meter to be near the first? I'm on the whole house EV plan now but when the model X arrives we will have 3 EVs. A separate meter and feed may be necessary to get sufficient current to the garage. Ideally i would put the 2nd meter on the outside of the house near the garage. Will dominion balk at that?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. No, Dominion didn't REQUIRE the second meter to be near the first. I simply ran into a space problem. The exterior wall where the current meter is mounted is in a breezeway area next to a sliding glass door. The wall area around the current meter is not super large; hence, the equipment panels associated with the generator take up much of the space. There was a small area just above the current meter; and while the second Dominion meter COULD have fit within that space above, they cited it as a safety issue --- e.g. the lineman / technician would have to stand on a small step ladder to reach the second (EV) meter. So the solution was to place the second meter a lateral distance of about 12 feet away -- which drove other installation issues.

Again, Dominion didn't state that the second meter needed to be close to the first meter. You'd have to check with Dominion to see if there are other requirements which I am not aware of.

It would be helpful if Dominion provided a bit more information about the process, but I guess I shouldn't complain because, as far as I can tell, Dominion is about the only entity in Virginia that thinks electric cars are worthy (true it has a vested interest). Heck, the legislature is outright hostile to EVs. Getting closer to pulling the trigger on my order and the electrical is one of the things I'm dreading.

So to be clear: dominion required the second meter to be near the first? I'm on the whole house EV plan now but when the model X arrives we will have 3 EVs. A separate meter and feed may be necessary to get sufficient current to the garage. Ideally i would put the 2nd meter on the outside of the house near the garage. Will dominion balk at that?

In my case, it was the county inspector that required that all the electrical service cutoffs were in the same location. Therefore emergency response personnel would be able to cut off all electricity from one location. A good thing, but it meant that there was no flexibility in my case. The run - the meter base was going to be near the old one and run to the old panels, then out to the garage. It maybe different for you, but for me it was electric service -> meter base -> disconnect -> long run -> garage panel -> HPWC.

I've driven from Burlington, NC to Glen Allen, VA (north of Richmond) about 8 times now (4 each way) without any issues. Once was even in freezing temps (~30F).

North up I-85 seems to take less energy than south.

Back to the meter installation question: I went back and checked with Dominion, since I hadn't previously SPECIFICALLY asked whether there was a maximum separation distance between the two meters. Dominion told me the two meters must be within sight of one another --- he did not give me a specific maximum distance in feet between the two, and since it didn't impact my situation, I didn't ask.