Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I *not* update to version 9?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many of the improvements in software version 9 seem to be for cars with AP, which mine does not have. From my perspective, for non-AP cars, the biggest change is to the user interface. Personally, it's a change I do not like. I really like being able to have the rear view camera and media player open at the same time. It's uncommon for me to want the nav map open. But, unless I'm mistaken, version 9 forces at least half the screen to be dedicated to the map. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

The Atari games would be neat. But for the most part I am seeing version 9 as more of a negative for me personally. Can I have my car *not* do the update?

Thanks

Reactions: zro ltr
Likewise for me.

Anyone who get version 9 -- please confirm whether it's possible to have the rear view camera and media player open simultaneously.

If it's not, Version 9 is breakage, and I'm not updating.

If it's possible, that's OK then.

To DrMike -- you can always refuse updates, and you usually should. I was only forced to update to version 8, which broke USB media playback, years after they released it (I was forced to do so due to cumulative memory-management problems in version 6 resulting in an MCU which rebooted constantly; but it took two years for that to happen.)

Can I have my car *not* do the update?

Yes, you just have to keep clicking the X on the software update screen. It will keep popping up, so it is an annoyance. Over time, it will get more difficult to stay in a lower software, because if you need anything replaced that requires firmware, the service center will have to upgrade you then. MCUs do not last forever, unfortunately.

If you manage to stay on the lower software long enough, other features may start not working. Holdouts for version 7 reported that voice commands stopped working due to backend server changes Tesla made over time that required newer software.

Software updates are Teslas biggest advantage and their biggest disadvantage at the same time.

Tesla is actually violating its warranty obligations with its software updates. I've considered suing them already.

Let's petition them to actually maintain functionality rather than breaking it.
Petition to demand "camera on top, media player on bottom" be retained in UI

Here is the saga of another Tesla owner making the same arguments from a prior software revision. I don’t believe he tried any legal actions, just ended up rooting his car. They said "you can't stay on 7.0 forever. .."

My adventures in gaining control of my car

Many of the improvements in software version 9 seem to be for cars with AP, which mine does not have. From my perspective, for non-AP cars, the biggest change is to the user interface. Personally, it's a change I do not like. I really like being able to have the rear view camera and media player open at the same time. It's uncommon for me to want the nav map open. But, unless I'm mistaken, version 9 forces at least half the screen to be dedicated to the map. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

The Atari games would be neat. But for the most part I am seeing version 9 as more of a negative for me personally. Can I have my car *not* do the update?

Thanks
Well, I got it this morning, and on my pre-AP 2013 MS, I can still bring up the rear view camera (and the other apps) in what is effectively a split screen. Sort of a pop-up/over window without a frame.

Of course I haven't tried to bring up two apps at the same time, and not show the map, so I guess there's that if anyone still needs a reason to scratch that itch.

To DrMike -- you can always refuse updates, and you usually should. I was only forced to update to version 8, which broke USB media playback, years after they released it (I was forced to do so due to cumulative memory-management problems in version 6 resulting in an MCU which rebooted constantly; but it took two years for that to happen.)

Thanks for clarifying that!

I find it to be a helpful way of keeping track of other cars around me.
+1 I too find it provides additional useful awareness while driving. IMO rearward mirror views and blind spots in the MS are worse than some other cars so the camera really helps on top of that huge screen

Meanwhile v9 having map take over the whole screen with only max one app allowed as overlay on bottom, even though 99% of time some people don’t need map/nav for general driving means basically half of the big screen is now wasted

I would hold off on doing the update if I was the OP.

I do expect a lot of backlash against not being able to have the backup screen at the top. I think Tesla will cave to the backlash, and it will get fixed.

So wait to update until after they fix it.

Personally I think they should have two update paths. One update path for safety/security stuff, and the other update path for GUI/features.

Lots of people don't like change, and they don't like things moving around so there should be a long term stability branch. Where it's really only intended for people with older cars where the latest updates are likely not terribly useful.

The other thing they should change is having a check for updates button. The first people getting an update (past the early access people) are the "I want it now" kind. So let them have it, and then a little while later do the automatic rollout.

Reactions: DrMike
When we test drove the X, the OA told us that's how he drives his S with the rear view on all the time. We tried it a few times.. it is kind of cool but decided to turn it off. It is just too much info.

I do that in my Model 3, and my Camper Van.

I tried it a few times in my Model S when I had it, but I never really liked it.

The Model 3 has a gun barrel like rear view so I find myself needing a bit more. So that's why I use the backup screen, but the backup screen is also useful for checking on corners. It's probably my favorite backup screen. It's definitely a lot of info.

. I really like being able to have the rear view camera and media player open at the same time. It's uncommon for me to want the nav map open. But, unless I'm mistaken, version 9 forces at least half the screen to be dedicated to the map. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.
From my experience the answer is a flat NO. You always have the map and it's always at the top. If you select the media player it can occupy the bottom one third or you can stretch it up to occupy the bottom 2/3 or somewhere in between. No swapping of the top/bottom as before (at least I could not find that control but I could be wrong about that).

When you select any of the apps (like the rear view camera) it will appear as a popup over the bottom 1/3 of the display.