Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I only change front tires for my all wheel drive model x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

This might have been asked before.

My 2018 model X has 23000 miles on it, the front two tires worn out. Back 2 tires seems still have some milages left. It is said in internet for 4 wheel drive ICE car, better change the tire sets, not just change 2. But I also heard that Tesla front tires and back tires are not connected. So it is ok to change individual tire.

Is there a link or spec on this information?

By the way, due to Tesla's popularity, looks like to to get original type of tire (CROSS CONTACT LX SPORT) will wait forever, I might go for this type: MICHELINCROSSCLIMATE SUV. If you have any suggestions, I will highly appreciate it.

Thank you for your help,

Xin

I replaced them all with the same Cross Contact LX Sport that came with it, as I had some warranty from Continental on them. There might be an issue with two different brands with two different patterns and rolling resistance. But it sounds like this is for a short period of time. Let us know what the tire shop says.

Hi,

This might have been asked before.

My 2018 model X has 23000 miles on it, the front two tires worn out. Back 2 tires seems still have some milages left. It is said in internet for 4 wheel drive ICE car, better change the tire sets, not just change 2. But I also heard that Tesla front tires and back tires are not connected. So it is ok to change individual tire.

By the way, due to Tesla's popularity, looks like to to get original type of tire (CROSS CONTACT LX SPORT) will wait forever, I might go for this type: MICHELINCROSSCLIMATE SUV. If you have any suggestions, I will highly appreciate it.

Thank you for your help,

Xin
You must not be at Tesla Service Center, since they always have only the OEMs in stock. Honestly I would only buy the OEM tires. If you ever need emergency road service for a flat? guess what, you are getting an OEM as an emergency replacement. Maybe it doesn't make much difference, but it might require one less tire swap exercise to get you out the door.

You will be fine replacing only the fronts. But you need an alignment if you ate up two tires in only 23,000 miles. 30k to 40k is more normal.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
I decided to change the whole set for both front and back, since I realized one of the back tire worn more on the inside. Once I got the 4 tires changed, I will go to Tesla SC to do the alignment. I read from the post some of Model X owner only complained their tire only last for 20k miles. I would like to give MICHELIN a try, and understand there is a problem with the service for flat tires. Tesla might deny road assistant for flat tire if that is not OEM. Also the MICHELIN tires does not have the foam inside to have lower noise. The MICHELIN tires are cheaper than Continentals, but with 40k miles warrantee. Continentals Cross Contact LX Sport does not come with any mileage warrantee.

I decided to change the whole set for both front and back, since I realized one of the back tire worn more on the inside. Once I got the 4 tires changed, I will go to Tesla SC to do the alignment. I read from the post some of Model X owner only complained their tire only last for 20k miles. I would like to give MICHELIN a try, and understand there is a problem with the service for flat tires. Tesla might deny road assistant for flat tire if that is not OEM. Also the MICHELIN tires does not have the foam inside to have lower noise. The MICHELIN tires are cheaper than Continentals, but with 40k miles warrantee. Continentals Cross Contact LX Sport does not come with any mileage warrantee.
I was at 6/32 tread all the way around, evenly worn at 32,000. I could have easily made 40,000 had I not hit a brick (in my own driveway!) and destroyed one of the rears. I also picked up a quarter inch bolt through one of the fronts, causing a not so slow leak <sigh>.

Before any of the failures, the vehicle was aligned three times. Once in warranty shortly after delivery (did not drive perfectly straight). Then twice more with two axle half shafts replacements (shudder problem). Second repair seems to have stuck. Side note, if you ever have an half shaft replacement, a wheel alignment is part of that repair.

I just had the half shaft repair done today. The invoice does not mention wheel alignment. Is wheel alignment something that inherently has to be done with the half shafts replaced?
Yes, exactly. It does not show up as a line item on the invoice. My return was once delayed because the SC was queued up, getting it on the alignment rack.