Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I override auto high beams dimming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm finding the automatic high beams useful to some degree, but there's a problem: The system sometimes dims the lights in response to the reflection of my own headlights on a white road sign, or when I'm passing a house with a post light near the street. And after passing a car on a dark road, the system sometimes takes too long to go back to high beams.

What I would like to do in these circumstances is force the high beams to stay on, without going into the configuration screen and turning off the automatic system.

I guess what I want is a three position stalk: high, low, and auto. Since that doesn't exist, is there a workaround?

OK, so with my left hand I pull on the stalk, and I keep my right on the steering wheel so AP won't yell at me and disconnect. Now how am I supposed to eat my Doritos?

Seriously, thanks Max. I will try this tonight. BTW, I'm old enough to remember when the beams were controlled by a left foot switch. It was easy to use, and much less confusing than modern cars, where you have to remember what stalk action does what. Who among us has not sprayed a windshield while attempting to control the headlights?

I really hope they can get the Auto HighBeam to parity with the AP1 cars soon. In my AP1 car, I can leave it turned on and it is every bit as good as I would be, if not better. In the AP2 cars I've driven, I had to turn it off and manually control the high beams. It would leave them on when it shouldn't and turn them off when it shouldn't. And not just occasionally. The worst was constantly leaving them on when I'm approaching other cars; either from behind or coming from the opposite direction.

I really hope they can get the Auto HighBeam to parity with the AP1 cars soon. In my AP1 car, I can leave it turned on and it is every bit as good as I would be, if not better. In the AP2 cars I've driven, I had to turn it off and manually control the high beams. It would leave them on when it shouldn't and turn them off when it shouldn't. And not just occasionally. The worst was constantly leaving them on when I'm approaching other cars; either from behind or coming from the opposite direction.

Do you have the latest software? I feel like the auto high beams are working better with the newest update than with the initial one that activated it.

It was a loaner from a month ago. It had 2017.28.4. I had it for a week and a half.

Honestly, comparing it to my AP1 car might not be fair, as AP1 is truly amazing at how well it does. I rarely turn off high beams. As I traverse through the city, suburbs, and rural areas, it is as close to perfect as you can get.

I have faith they'll get there with AP2, it's just taking some time to tweak it.

I have faith they'll get there with AP2, it's just taking some time to tweak it.

Well, in the sense that faith transcends logic you may be right. Based on the evidence, though, as we come up on a year of failied or non- attempts at AP2, Summon, rain-sensing wipers, and all the announced EAP features, I would have to say the chances of a well-performing headlight control system are...dim, not bright.

My only real hope is that Tesla will swallow its pride, accept the collapse of their in-house software team, and beg Mobile-Eye to come back.

• Funny
Reactions: KyleDay and Max*