Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I park the wipers in up position?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that the first snowfall of the season has hit, the critical question is this: is there any way to park the wipers in the "up" position so they can be folded away from the windshield while the car is parked? This is a pretty basic snowbelt defensive move.

Thx, but sadly even in service mode the passenger wiper will not lift away from the windshield.

I am fairly sure you are correct here, that you can not lift and leave them away from the windshield.... but with the ability to run the heat on the car from the app, is this needed? I ask this as someone who doesnt live someplace that has to worry about this, but my understanding is, people do what you describe to keep the wipers from freezing to the windshield.

if you can pre heat the car, wont that loosen them, thus this is a non issue if you do that? I believe thats what all the tesla model 3 owners in cold climates do, and there has not been any outcry of "not able to park wipers in up position" in the model 3 section over the years, so I expect this works fine.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
You can also preheat it to melt the snow/ice ahead of departure.

I am fairly sure you are correct here, that you can not lift and leave them away from the windshield.... but with the ability to run the heat on the car from the app, is this needed? I ask this as someone who doesnt live someplace that has to worry about this, but my understanding is, people do what you describe to keep the wipers from freezing to the windshield.

if you can pre heat the car, wont that loosen them, thus this is a non issue if you do that? I believe thats what all the tesla model 3 owners in cold climates do, and there has not been any outcry of "not able to park wipers in up position" in the model 3 section over the years, so I expect this works fine.

Ever come outside to 10 inches of fresh snow on your car? Really nice to have the wipers up and off the glass so they not frozen to the windshield, you can clean the windshield off, and the rubber isn't nearly as frozen as it would be if the heater is one. I'm guessing it'll take an hour to melt 10" of new snow from the car using the pre-heat option...

Reactions: Sunvalleylaw

Preheating doesn't do too well on 4 inches of snow (unless you leave it running all night). It's just easier to clean the car if the wipers are put up when you leave the car. Maybe I'll see if I can modify the passenger wiper arm to allow it to be lifted up.

Ever come outside to 10 inches of fresh snow on your car? Really nice to have the wipers up and off the glass so they not frozen to the windshield, you can clean the windshield off, and the rubber isn't nearly as frozen as it would be if the heater is one. I'm guessing it'll take an hour to melt 10" of new snow from the car using the pre-heat option...

Only in a rental car when I was traveling for business to someplace that has actual winter weather.......

I ask this as someone who doesnt live someplace that has to worry about this,........

Now that the first snowfall of the season has hit, the critical question is this: is there any way to park the wipers in the "up" position so they can be folded away from the windshield while the car is parked? This is a pretty basic snowbelt defensive move.
I am curious as to how bad those tucked away wipers will get frozen this winter. Only other cars we’ve had tucked in like that have usually had built in heaters/nozzle warmers, etc. I have been seeing the raised wipers more and more over the past few years. For some reason it’s been especially prevalent in my covered work parking structure during snow storms.

Granted I don’t live in a place that gets multiple heavy snowfalls a year but we get a couple. I have found that throwing a rubber welcome mat on the front windshield does the trick. One of those big ones stores use at their entrances. You can get them at Lowes for like $30.

Another option is to use a car cover. Since I'm retired and often go several days without driving, this works for me. But I can imagine that if you had to put on and take off the car cover every day, it could quickly become a nuisance.
CarCoverSnow.jpg

Pre-heating the car will de-freeze the windshield wipers, even under 10 inches of snow. While CT is not as harsh as OH, I have not had any issue using pre-heat to un-freeze wipers. Usually it also melts the hard scrabble on the windshield under the snow and most of the snow can be removed by brushing and there is much less need to actually scrape the windshield. Plus getting into a pre-warmed car is always nice!

Bigger issue we have found is in freezing rain the door handles freeze and are hard to open. (Using Tesla recommendation of pressing on front of door handle only works moderately better.)

From Tesla Manual on Cold weather:

Attachments

• 1636992771941.png
    1636992771941.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: richapps
No matter what may be said for preheating or covering the windshield, for snow and ice my preference is to park the wipers off the windshield. I then find it much easier to clean the car properly (yes, I'm a tad fastidious about such things.) I like to preheat while I'm doing that; any car should do a decent job of thawing windscreen and rear window in that time.

Okay -- update on the issue of raising the wipers off the windshield while in the service position: as I have said, the driver's wiper raised up easily enough, but the passenger wiper would not lift more than an inch or so off the windshield. Today, I took a closer look at the wiper arms. As the pivot point looked to be the same on both, I held down the base of the passenger wiper while carefully pulling the arm away from the windscreen and lo, the arm resisted but did raise to the upright position. And thereafter it pivoted freely. Tight rivet in the pivot point, I guess. At any rate, I'm relieved.

Thanks all for the contributions and suggestions. You helped me work through the problem.

🧀

Thank you Cheffromage. I wanted to know the same thing. Both for the upcoming winter and for simple things like cleaning the windshield glass, applying rainX or wax to the windshield, cleaning the wiper arms, etc. There are any number of practical reasons to want to allow the wipers to freely remain in the standing position fully lifted from the windshield. I’ll go out and try this now on my M3. Glad you found there is a pivot point.