TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can I pay for some of my Model S with a credit card?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by carrerascott, Jan 27, 2013.

1. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

I've paid the $5k deposit with a CC, can I pay more with a credit card? I was planning to finance some and pay about 1/2 cash -- but would certainly prefer to pay that portion with a CC and get some miles or cashback etc. Anyone know if Tesla will allow me to either pay more of a deposit on a CC now (I've already finalized) or pay with a CC once they come asking for their money?

2. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

I think I read that you can't. I assume your reservation was made a few months ago and not today... If it was today, your reservation number would be nice to see.

3. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

No I made reservation last fall, 13,850 -- already finalized and expect delivery in March (they say Feb/March). I'll ask anyway, if I can pay early (now) with a credit card. Maybe they won't say no to an extra $45k before the earnings report. ;)

4. Frankc

Frankc Member

I asked this question of the Tesla team a while back, and they indicated that a credit card payment is only available for the deposit. Too bad, that would be a lot of bonus points for the card....

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

It would cost them 2% to 3% merchant discount fees. That's a lotta bucks on $100,000.

6. swegman

swegman Member

When I asked, tjey told me I would have to pay the bank transaction fee charge.

7. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

My DS told me no on Friday.

8. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

9. Sousaphil

Sousaphil P2,595

Depending on your state, you may be able to pay for your tax, license and registration with credit card. That's the case for me in Arizona. My final MVPA was without any of those charges and the car will have temporary CA registration when I receive it.

I plan to use a credit card at AZDOT for the full amount due to the state. That, along with the initial $5,000 is pretty decent.

10. fluxemag

fluxemag Member

This is good to know. Please let me know if AZ MVD charges you a transaction fee. Also, if City of Scottsdale sends you a city sales tax bill after you register with AZ. Fortunately the extra 1% AZ sales tax went away after the election. I think our registration fee on an EV is freakishly cheap too, like $5.

11. Sousaphil

Sousaphil P2,595

Yes, we are saving a ton of money by registering an EV. A comparably valued ICE vehicle would cost about $600-800 for the first year of registration in AZ, or so I'm told. My 5 year old Prius was $150 for this current year.