Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I Please Get Basic Cruise Control Enabled on my New Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe TACC works under certain FWY and road routes.. and within certain speed limits....

Mostly... It doesn't work.

and "standard" cruise control... does not work. As confirmed my Tesla Service Support just today.
I believe if you have TACC, then there is no standard cruise control. This is true of other brands too. It's for safety reasons because people used to TACC are more likely to get into an accident if the system just falls back on standard cruise control (given they are used to the system slowing down automatically).

If you have standard cruise control, you have a car that does not have TACC. Do you have the EAP option or not?

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
From your picture, your car is uniquely broken. Other cars do not behave this way, and all AP2 cars seem to have cruise that works. Your AP2 cameras are working because you can see the lane lines on the screen. So my best guess is that your radar is mis-calibrated or broken.

I suggest you take your car to the Tesla Service center and ask them to test drive another late 2016 or 2017 car. Show them that it does not behave like your car does, and then ask them why your car is different. I'm sorry that you are having an issue, but it appears your issue is with your service center being incompetent, not Tesla as a whole. There's zero reason your car shouldn't have working cruise as it works on all the other cars just fine.

Here is mine with TACC on. Dang - that's dusty for a 4 day old car...

Attachments

• IMG_1156.JPG
    IMG_1156.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 83
From your picture, your car is uniquely broken. Other cars do not behave this way, and all AP2 cars seem to have cruise that works. Your AP2 cameras are working because you can see the lane lines on the screen. So my best guess is that your radar is mis-calibrated or broken.

I suggest you take your car to the Tesla Service center and ask them to test drive another late 2016 or 2017 car. Show them that it does not behave like your car does, and then ask them why your car is different. I'm sorry that you are having an issue, but it appears your issue is with your service center being incompetent, not Tesla as a whole. There's zero reason your car shouldn't have working cruise as it works on all the other cars just fine.

My car's got about 500 miles.. so it's uniquely new and broken...

Odd that some say it's supposed to work.. .other members say, it's normal...

The service center confirms it doesn't work.....

hm.... what to believe...

Am I a snowflake or not?

I am very confused with this thread. I am an AP2 owner, but I assumed we only have TACC and not basic CC. What's the point of basic CC anyways. Am I incorrect ?

@SocalMS - Do you have AP2 in your car ?
When AP2 cars were first released, they had NO cruise control. A couple of weeks later, they enabled regular cruise control. A few weeks later, they enabled TACC which replaced regular cruise control.

It sounds like the OP should indeed have TACC since he ordered EAP but there appears to be a hardware issue.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I am very confused with this thread. I am an AP2 owner, but I assumed we only have TACC and not basic CC. What's the point of basic CC anyways. Am I incorrect ?

I'm inferring the issue is that basic cruise control would not be governed by a finicky list of highways and parts of highways (occasionally unavailable), speed, etc. so OP and others can drive between super chargers working the wheel at a constant speed and adjust themselves with traditional controls, rather than trusting a shaky traffic aware cc. I get it actually. Makes sense. So far I don't mind having TACC but I'll report back after the first road trip on availability and whether or not there were issues. . In about two weeks.

My car's got about 500 miles.. so it's uniquely new and broken...

Odd that some say it's supposed to work.. .other members say, it's normal...

The service center confirms it doesn't work.....

hm.... what to believe...

Am I a snowflake or not?

You are a snowflake, but if enough snowflakes such as us speak up then maybe Tesla will do something about it. We'll see what the upcoming update resolves.

I do have AP2.

Works on "some" FWY's, I believe under 55mph or 65..

But normal cruise control NEVER works anywhere...

** I just want to be able to jump on a FWY, set it at 80MPH.. and let it cruise.... Can I have that (at least) please TESLA!

If you have an AP2 car with EAP ($5,000 option) active you do not and will not have "standard" or normal" cruise control! You have TACC which works up to 80 mph (at least for me).

How are you activating the TACC? It should be one pull on the stalk. Two pulls activates the full autopilot (both TACC and Auto Steering) up to 55 mph on some roads. The autopilot is not working very well as of yet but is getting better all the time.

There is a lot of terminology confusion in this thread.

Edit- I just saw your dash picture. What are you doing that gives you the "Cruise Not Available" warning? One pull of the stalk? If so then something weird is going on. I'm stumped!

I drive a 2013 S85 with the old fashioned 'fixed' cruise control. My wife's 2015 S70D has the AP1 TACC. I essentially cannot stand to use my cruise control, especially with SF Bay Area traffic. I really appreciate TACC and enjoy it when I get to drive her car.

Be careful what you wish for....

If you have an AP2 car with EAP ($5,000 option) active you do not and will not have "standard" or normal" cruise control! You have TACC which works up to 80 mph (at least for me).

How are you activating the TACC? It should be one pull on the stalk. Two pulls activates the full autopilot (both TACC and Auto Steering) up to 55 mph on some roads. The autopilot is not working very well as of yet but is getting better all the time.

There is a lot of terminology confusion in this thread.

Edit- I just saw your dash picture. What are you doing that gives you the "Cruise Not Available" warning? One pull of the stalk? If so then something weird is going on. I'm stumped!

Yes .... 1 Pull of the Stalk....

NO GO....

NO GO....

They owe you a solution, IMHO. As someone suggested, drive a recent AP2.0 loaner and compare.

They may be answering your specific question and not solving the problem.

Customer - My cruise control doesn't work. Can I have regular cruise control?

Tesla - No, there is no regular cruise control on AP2.0 cars with EAP.
I can tell you mine works fine in every condition over 18mph I have tried. I've mostly been on 55mph roads, so I haven't tried it over 85 yet though. I think 75 is the fastest I've tried.

Good luck!

NO GO....
Maybe those two big guns below your shoulder need a little work. Those stalks sure are tough to pull all the way towards you, especially if slightly angling your foot for a few hours causes anguish. Might I suggest a rigorous weight program to build the strength to pull the stalks fully? Maybe start with staples and work your way up to paperclips?

Just got off the phone w/ another service center rep.

He doesnt' seem to be 100% sure...

Their comment:
. Maybe I need to drive the car more so the system can calibrate...
. They suggest I turn off Auto Pilot / Traffic Assist / Auto Steer/ from the Control Panel

That might work.. they say...

I'll guess I'll try that later today...

Just got off the phone w/ another service center rep.

He doesnt' seem to be 100% sure...

Their comment:
. Maybe I need to drive the car more so the system can calibrate...
. They suggest I turn off Auto Pilot / Traffic Assist / Auto Steer/ from the Control Panel

That might work.. they say...

I'll guess I'll try that later today...

Mine specifically said something about calibrating when I tried to activate during the first 50-75 miles. Not the message you captured.

"They suggest I turn off Auto Pilot / Traffic Assist / Auto Steer/ from the Control Panel "

Tried the above... still doesn't work....

About to get a new update today.. we'll see what happens...

NO CRUISE CONTROL ON A NEW TESLA ... YET?