Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I Please Get Basic Cruise Control Enabled on my New Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But why can't they just have non TACC cruise control....just set it to a speed and leave it so that your foot doesn't get exhausted on a 4 hour freeway drive.

How many folks purchasing Teslas with AP2 knew that they wouldn't have a standard cruise control until TACC was actually enabled?

Reactions: dhrivnak
But why can't they just have non TACC cruise control....just set it to a speed and leave it so that your foot doesn't get exhausted on a 4 hour freeway drive.

How many folks purchasing Teslas with AP2 knew that they wouldn't have a standard cruise control until TACC was actually enabled?
TACC is enabled on AP2 up to 85mph. Is it not working for you?

This is just confusing. Especially the OP terminology. I have a 2017 MX delivered 3/22/2017. After about 50 miles and a short stop TACC (traffic aware cruise control) became available. It worked at 75 MPH without a problem. If yours is not calibrated in 500 miles it needs to go to the Service Center for camera adjustment, or maybe a repair. Autosteer, which is only the steering portion of Autopilot, also becomes available at the same time as TACC, but it is limited to 55 MPH or lower. That is what your phone call to Tesla confirmed, not TACC. Hopefully that Autosteer speed limitation will be raised in a couple of days with 8.1 .

I believe there was a basic CC used for AP2 cars before Autopilot features were delivered. I haven't seen any evidence of it in my car, nor read anything about it here for new deliveries.

I have a 2017. Picked up Friday.

There is no standard cruise control. TACC worked fine for me after 50 miles and "a break" (worked when I came back out from store). Worked at 78 mph fine for me.

Does TACC not work for you? Do you get a message when you pull the cruise control stalk back once?

There is no standard cruise regardless of speed . I'd guess because the wouldn't want someone to get the two modes messed up.

The auto-steer doesn't work over 55.

It sounds like you're having a problem, socalms. What firmware version are you on?

On HW2, TACC works anywhere for me. There are no road restrictions. Speed restrictions are minimal - an upper limit, 80mph or whatever it is right now, and minimum speed to engage, something like 5 or 10mph.

AFAIK, there is no such thing as "standard" (set a speed and it dumbly maintains that speed) cruise control anymore on HW2, nor will there be anymore since we have TACC. My HW2 car used to have it prior to the broad AP2 release that came with 17.3.2 in January.

Reactions: croman and boaterva
I believe TACC works under certain FWY and road routes.. and within certain speed limits....

Mostly... It doesn't work.

and "standard" cruise control... does not work. As confirmed my Tesla Service Support just today.

• Standard Cruise Control - Cruise control hold a preset speed, regardless of what is ahead of it. This is only on AP2.0 hardware cars that do not have EAP enabled. Cars with AP2.0 and EAP enabled do NOT have standard cruise control. Driver is responsible for adjusting the pre-set speed for traffic conditions. Driver steers car.
  • Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) - Cruise control that will hold a preset speed, unless there is a vehicle in the road ahead of it (tracked by radar and/or camera) going a slower speed. If there is a car in front, TACC will slow down and match the speed of the car in front. Will work in stop and go traffic. Driver oversees the operation and is ready to brake as needed. Driver steers the car. Cars with the latest firmware and EAP have this feature. It is enabled by pulling the control stalk back towards the driver once. It works up to 85 MPH.
  • Auto-steer - AP2.0 cars with EAP and latest firmware will auto-steer up to 55 MPH on divided highways. Up to 35 MPH on surface streets. Requires good road lines. auto-steer is enabled by pulling back the control stalk 2x. When auto-steer is enabled, TACC is also enabled. In addition to TACC features above, auto-steer attempts to steer the car between the lines. Driver should keep hands on wheel and be ready at all times.

Your not saying what happens when you pull the stalk back 1x?

What features do you have on your car?

What firmware? I have 17.9.3

Traffic Aware Cruise Control works fine for me on un-marked local roads at 20 mph. No speed restrictions that I have found. I have S100D, 312 miles, EAP feature.

Last edited:
I picked up my MS on 3/18. TACC worked within 10 miles of leaving the delivery center, and it still works at all speeds I have tried - at least to 80 MPH. Now, Autosteer worked by the second day, but it only works under 55mph on the freeway so it is not too often I can use it. Something is wrong with SoCalMS' car.