Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I progress an old order for a model 3 SR+ (at a reduced price £37,980)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Yesterday i put in an order for a SR+ putting down the £100 deposit. After logging into my account, i saw a second order for a model 3 and realised this was an order that i never progressed last year (never put the £2,000 deposit down), however that order is still there with the following text:

“To complete your Model 3 order, submit a £2,000 order deposit. Please include your name and order number on the wire transfer for expedient processing.”
The price stated on the order is
£37,980 (Includes taxes and fees, excludes discounts)

So i’m just wondering, is it worth a punt of sending over the £2000 deposit? To see if they honour the lower price since they never expired/cancelled the order?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

I'd be surprised if they didn't honour it.

Personally, I think you'll get £1500 off the current price rather than £2000, on the basis that if you aren't already matched to a car then (I think) it wouldn't have been registered on the Government portal for the PICG, which has gone down £500 since you ordered.

You might get lucky though, I managed to get under the wire before the grant changed (and M3P lost it completely).

Reactions: Mikeoneuk85
I'd be surprised if they didn't honour it.

Personally, I think you'll get £1500 off the current price rather than £2000, on the basis that if you aren't already matched to a car then (I think) it wouldn't have been registered on the Government portal for the PICG, which has gone down £500 since you ordered.

You might get lucky though, I managed to get under the wire before the grant changed (and M3P lost it completely).
In my experience that isn't correct, it's the RN not the car itself that registers the grant.

I learned about the £500 reduction the day after the change & called my SC immediately, was put on hold and then told 'good news' my RN was registered on the Gov't portal at 11.25pm, just before the deadline so got the full £3500 PICG (....was matched to a car a couple of weeks later)

Thank you very much.

Have just checked and the order agreement is now showing (+ i was asked to fill out delivery details, drive license etc).
The amount showing for the SR+ is £37,980 (instead of £40,490). What is interesting (or may cause a problem) is that the Government grant is showing as £3,000 (instead of £3,500 as thats what is was when i put the order through back in 2019) and the overall price has not been reduced to reflect this, so not sure if tesla will take the hit there or they will notice and cancel my order.

I guess now its just wait and see. Thanks again for all the advice and comments, this forum is great :)

Reactions: JupiterMan
In my experience that isn't correct, it's the RN not the car itself that registers the grant.

I learned about the £500 reduction the day after the change & called my SC immediately, was put on hold and then told 'good news' my RN was registered on the Gov't portal at 11.25pm, just before the deadline so got the full £3500 PICG (....was matched to a car a couple of weeks later)
Fair enough.

I was in a similar boat, although I was already matched by the point the grant changed.

In th OP's case there is quite a delay between his original order, when the grant changed, and now. Any car he gets matched to at this point is almost certainly going to have been registered (or not) on the Govt portal after the change.

Thank you very much.

Have just checked and the order agreement is now showing (+ i was asked to fill out delivery details, drive license etc).
The amount showing for the SR+ is £37,980 (instead of £40,490). What is interesting (or may cause a problem) is that the Government grant is showing as £3,000 (instead of £3,500 as thats what is was when i put the order through back in 2019) and the overall price has not been reduced to reflect this, so not sure if tesla will take the hit there or they will notice and cancel my order.

I guess now its just wait and see. Thanks again for all the advice and comments, this forum is great :)

Awesome - worst case they might change the amount by the difference in the grant (it does state on the order booking I have that changes to the grant eligibility are not Tesla’s responsibility) which is still a big saving!

Edit: My order agreement states this at the side;

*Tesla will apply for the Plug-In Car Grant on your behalf. The Plug-In Car Grant is an incenve provided by the UK government and therefore subject to availability and change without noce. There is no legal entlement to the Plug-In Car Grant and Tesla is not liable for its payment. In case the Plug-In Car Grant is not available or changes, Tesla reserves the right to update the amount due in respect of your vehicle accordingly.

Awesome - worst case they might change the amount by the difference in the grant (it does state on the order booking I have that changes to the grant eligibility are not Tesla’s responsibility) which is still a big saving!

Edit: My order agreement states this at the side;

*Tesla will apply for the Plug-In Car Grant on your behalf. The Plug-In Car Grant is an incenve provided by the UK government and therefore subject to availability and change without noce. There is no legal entlement to the Plug-In Car Grant and Tesla is not liable for its payment. In case the Plug-In Car Grant is not available or changes, Tesla reserves the right to update the amount due in respect of your vehicle accordingly.
I imagine since you didn't pay the deposit there would have been no reason why tesla would have registered your order, plus it is many, many months after the grant changed now so I'm not sure they would even be able to hold it off that long anyway. But unless someone reviews the order and notices, it is quite possible Tesla might end up taking the hit. Time will tell.

Reactions: Durzel