TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can I put a Model S on a U-Haul Auto Transport?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by henrus, Oct 21, 2013.

1. henrus

henrus New Member

I plan to take my car to the track next month and want to tow it with a Ford F-150. I figured I could just get a U-Haul Auto Transport (the one where the whole car goes on top), but their website won't let me do it with that configuration. I chatted with one of their support people online and the claimed that either the car was too heavy for the F-150 (unlikely), or that there wasn't enough clearance to get it on the transport (I have the lift system in my Model S). Anyone try this configuration or any other? Anyone else try trailering their Model S anywhere? I did a search on this forum and no joy. Thanks.

H

2. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Is the car too heavy for the trailer itself? Those ones with the small tires are often just barely accommodating of normal large sedans.

I helped a friend load a stock GTI on one once. Scraped the whole way up the thing. There's not a whole lot of clearance with the steep angles.

3. Bifff67

Bifff67 Member

interesting. My car was delivered on a Uhaul trailer with a uhaul pickup truck, about a year ago now. So seems to me like they would have some configuration that would work.

4. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Went and looked at their web site. It seems to allow towing the Model S with a U-Haul truck, so the variable is the towing vehicle.

5. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

The base F150 has a 6500 lb towing limit.

6. DavidM

DavidM P2624, Delivered

My Model S was also delivered on a U-Haul trailer. MAKE SURE you raise the suspension all the way up! I remember thinking that the bottom was going to scrape when the car started down the ramp. It was damn close, but it didn't.

7. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Hey, if you get the tow dolly, so the back wheels are on the ground, pop a heavy weight in the drivers seat to simulate someone sitting in it, and put it in drive with creep off, you'd have your own "F150 60kWh Supercharger"

Tehe.

8. henrus

henrus New Member

9. Cashoverass

Cashoverass Member

How'd it go? I'm moving at the end of the month from California to vegas and I'd like to do this. I don't have air sus. so hopefully I can get up there without scraping. I moved from florida to california 2 years ago with my Lotus Elise on one of these things and it went fine so I have a good feeling about this. If I was able to get my Lotus on there, I would think I can get the Tesla on without scraping.

Thanks,