Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I reject perfectly fine car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ended up picking up a 2022 with USS and it’s so worth it as long as I keep the car a while. The sensors are helpful to me not just parking but I get a wiggly worm line as I pass things like walls when driving and with a shiny new car I like the confirmation that I am not as close as it feels.

I really was looking for a defect but the car was just perfect so I decided not to gamble.

I ended up picking up a 2022 with USS and it’s so worth it as long as I keep the car a while. The sensors are helpful to me not just parking but I get a wiggly worm line as I pass things like walls when driving and with a shiny new car I like the confirmation that I am not as close as it feels.

I really was looking for a defect but the car was just perfect so I decided not to gamble.
Congrats on the car. Am glad it all worked out for you. Enjoy and drive safe!

Reactions: Rotarybuddy

Same here, I love the sensors and was glad my September built 2022 came with them. My garage has a curb and the sensors pick up the curb to my left as I pull in and help prevent me curb rashing my rims.

I just received a vin for EDD Nov first week delivery. If my goal is to delay delivery till 2023, would the best approach be to reject car once I get assigned the 3 days to pick it up? I’ve already been told I can’t put it on hold due to original EDD May.

You can wait for a car you like and take it. A couple months done the road a new feature is offered and you won't have it.........so you never catch up.
Tesla seems to be removing features more than adding them nowadays. While some of this stuff probably won't make a difference or may even reduce weight (i.e. RADAR, ultrasonic sensors) because they probably won't even use those features in older vehicles once the software gets updated and the code for those old systems is no longer being maintained, other stuff like removal of passenger lumbar support and the included EVSE just make the car worse or more expensive for the same product(s).

I just received a vin for EDD Nov first week delivery. If my goal is to delay delivery till 2023, would the best approach be to reject car once I get assigned the 3 days to pick it up? I’ve already been told I can’t put it on hold due to original EDD May.
Illinois already has an EV tax credit that will likely be a higher total than what the federal credit will be. Why keep screwing with an order You asked for. Just cancel it if you can’t afford it.

The best way to guarantee yourself a 2023 delivery is to cancel and reorder. Tesla has no obligation to honor your order at a lower price of you refuse to accept a car. Google stuff all you want, there is no surefire way to do this. Sorry.

What is the best strategy to push back EDD?
Can I change the design back and forth to delay the EDD to 2023?
Currently have an Oct30-Nov27 EDD
You could try that. In the past you could switch the order to have no options (free paint color, etc). However, Tesla doesn't show different EDDs for no option vs optioned MYLRs anymore. Although EDD range is a big range and no option orders may still be delivered later. So changing all your options to base may delay EDD somewhat...hard to know these days.

Tesla's official policy they announced a couple days ago is you are allowed to put your order on hold up to the original EDD at time of ordering. Otherwise only a 7 day hold is allowed. So unless the order page said Jan 2023 or later when you placed your order they won't let you hold more than 7days
I've also read of people putting financing on their order but then not completing the financing and that can delay the EDD. This was sort of like having your profile not complete. However, Tesla has said that profile completion doesn't affect EDD anymore...so who knows?

• Informative
Reactions: ord3r
You could try that. In the past you could switch the order to have no options (free paint color, etc). However, Tesla doesn't show different EDDs for no option vs optioned MYLRs anymore. Although EDD range is a big range and no option orders may still be delivered later. So changing all your options to base may delay EDD somewhat...hard to know these days.

Tesla's official policy they announced a couple days ago is you are allowed to put your order on hold up to the original EDD at time of ordering. Otherwise only a 7 day hold is allowed. So unless the order page said Jan 2023 or later when you placed your order they won't let you hold more than 7days
I've also read of people putting financing on their order but then not completing the financing and that can delay the EDD. This was sort of like having your profile not complete. However, Tesla has said that profile completion doesn't affect EDD anymore...so who knows?

My original EDD was SEP30-OCT27
this was pushed back by changing to a 7 seat configuration
and now I was wondering if the same trick still works as I would like to change the config once a day
Also mim still not finish my payment setup

• Funny
Reactions: ord3r
My delivery is due 10/9-10/23 and assuming that date sticks I’d like to see if my car is delivered with USS. If not I was thinking of rejecting so I can get a car in November which is likely to be a 2023 model at least and I’ll save on payments and insurance for a time when I won’t be driving anyway. I don’t need a car until late November.

Can I reject a perfectly fine car in this scenario?
Yes, you can reject it and get a new one in 2023.

As I understand it, Tesla does not do "model years". There is no such thing as a "2022" or a "2023" model, but only a build date. When buying or selling, you'd have to ask if the ultrasonic sensors are part of the car you're looking at or not. Most people would never know, and a lot of them would never care if USS were or were not included. I know I wouldn't. What might be the advantage? If you tail-gate, you're going to hit someone, with or without sensors.

As I understand it, Tesla does not do "model years". There is no such thing as a "2022" or a "2023" model, but only a build date. When buying or selling, you'd have to ask if the ultrasonic sensors are part of the car you're looking at or not. Most people would never know, and a lot of them would never care if USS were or were not included. I know I wouldn't. What might be the advantage? If you tail-gate, you're going to hit someone, with or without sensors.
All Teslas listed in existing inventory and on any used car site use the model year in the title. Tesla makes changes throughout the year so the model year doesn't mean much to a knowledgeable buyer but may be of significance to a less knowledgeable buyer.

Ultrasonic sensors are used for parking. Not for autopilot or emergency breaking. So tailgaiting has nothing to do with it. Tesla lists the four features they've had to disable in the cars without USS so those are the features that make use of them. Only one of those features (Park Assist) is on non-EAP/FSD cars. But it is a valuable feature IMO.
I agree that most buyers will have no clue. However, I was just browsing used Tesla ads and the most some recent ones had "ultrasonic sensors included" in the title even. But just like radar, Tesla may eventually just disable the feature on existing cars with the hardware anyways. If the speculation is true and the new 2023 cars have some updated cameras and Tesla disables USS on older cars then things might flip and a 2023 will become more valuable.