Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I report a phantom braking event?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the car track while in autopilot using cruise control or something like that, when the brake is being used via the AI? I get plenty of phantom braking events and I was wondering if there's a way to report that with some footage to go alongside it. I'd really like to trust cruise control and autopilot steering but I just don't feel comfortable with it on now. It's happening enough times now that I just don't trust it. It's breaked very aggressively for no reason with drivers somewhat close to me probably narrowly avoiding an accident.

I hit the camera/ report button every time I experience phantom braking. It might not help at all, but I feel better hitting the button. I have a stretch of road that is tree lines , heavily shadowed and AP thinks the shadows are objects....go figure.

Reactions: techno
I hit the camera/ report button every time I experience phantom braking. It might not help at all, but I feel better hitting the button. I have a stretch of road that is tree lines , heavily shadowed and AP thinks the shadows are objects....go figure.
So frustrating that this system confuses shadows for objects. Yeah, I don't have FSD but is there still away from me to report this way? I know they have a lot of data on this but I want mine specifically to be reported just that way I can relay a direct complaint from my experience to Tesla. I'd also feel a little better. I noticed this happens to when a car and a different lane might get ahead of me and the sun is such that their shadow is projected onto my lane. I fed really aggressive phantom breaking a few times which is really scary and very dangerous for the people behind me. I just can't trust the system to not cause an accident. I wish there was some way to disable whatever the reaction is that's causing it to slam breaks for no reason. But maybe it's the same one that reacts to what the car in front of you does since it's all visually based. Super frustrating. Feel like I have a car where my favorite feature is something I can't trust

Reactions: RSpanner
Unless you have FSD Beta, you can’t report the issue directly to Tesla very easily. You can use the bug report voice command when it happens, but that data stays in the car unless you follow up by contacting service. Phantom braking is so common that it’s not worth going through the trouble of reporting it.

Reactions: EVEnergy
Unless you have FSD Beta, you can’t report the issue directly to Tesla very easily. You can use the bug report voice command when it happens, but that data stays in the car unless you follow up by contacting service. Phantom braking is so common that it’s not worth going through the trouble of reporting it.
I just want Tesla to validate my unhappy feels. Darn.

Well some are saying it's better with the latest version. I can't recall if my most terrible incidents were with that or the one before. Might have been a few weeks ago.

Does the car track while in autopilot using cruise control or something like that, when the brake is being used via the AI? I get plenty of phantom braking events and I was wondering if there's a way to report that with some footage to go alongside it. I'd really like to trust cruise control and autopilot steering but I just don't feel comfortable with it on now. It's happening enough times now that I just don't trust it. It's breaked very aggressively for no reason with drivers somewhat close to me probably narrowly avoiding an accident.

Yes, hold down on the car icon on the lower-left corner after it happens. This works on non-FSD cars. You'll get a "thank your for your feedback" message.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and ZapCarM3
So did they ever disable radar on those or not?
By getting rid of radar Tesla is saying they are able to do things that can’t be done with cameras. I am sorry but they can not be trusted at the same level as radar.

My 2¢ don’t waste money of FSB on cars without radar.

Every BMW, MB & Porsche that has active Cruise control has radar so does every Tesla X & S Why? Because it’s better than just a camera Elon calling Tesla the safest car letting shadows cause cars to brake without notice is complete negligence.

Everyone needs to understand that radars are able to really detect a solid object and there is no possible way a camera can ever come close to that form of reliability.

Do not think it’s horrible or smart to praise a man for developing the most popular models without radar and it’s negligence and it will hurt people.

I am not anti-Tesla; I'm pro doing things
the right way.

By getting rid of radar Tesla is saying they are able to do things that can’t be done with cameras. I am sorry but they can not be trusted at the same level as radar.

Every BMW, MB & Porsche that has active Cruise control has radar so does every Tesla X & S Why? Because it’s better than just a camera Elon calling Tesla the safest car letting shadows cause cars to brake without notice is complete negligence.

Everyone needs to understand that radars are able to really detect a solid object and there is no possible way a camera can ever come close to that form of reliability.

Do not think it’s horrible or smart to praise a man for developing the most popular models without radar and it’s negligence and it will hurt people.

the right way.
With 4 posts of the same topic and content I think you are pro agenda.

the right way.
Quick question. You only have two cameras in your head, and you can tell shadows aren't solid. Is there radar in your eyeballs?

the right way.
My suspicion is that you are not a radar expert.

My 2018 model S usually has 1-2 episodes of phantom braking on most long trips. It’s very discouraging and embarrassing (being a huge Tesla fan) especially considering I don’t yet have FSD and would be impossible to justify paying $12k over standard cruse control. My wife’s Lincoln radar cruse control is not as good as a Tesla but it never has phantom braking