Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I reset preconditioning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Preconditioning timing has gotten weird. The morning preconditioning is pretty well timed for my trip to work, but the evening is way off. I find it on at 9 to 10 at night, and I have NO idea why it thinks that's right. I'm rarely driving at that time.

Can I reset it so it learns again from scratch?

i turned it off after I got in the car one morning and the AC was on and it was freezing out side.
OK, so not really freezing but cold enough that you needed a jacket.
It just would have been nice to have the car auto adjust what temperature it should be at rather then turn
on what you had been using the last time you used the climate control. Thats how it works for me.

I bet you can reset it, but I don't know if you can do it without resetting everything else as well. The Tesla does have a "factory reset" option that I suspect will clear the pre-conditioning, but you'll also have to reset everything else as well.

As for the feature itself, it's an absolutely abysmal implementation, I recommend everyone turn it off. Tesla really tried to over think this one, and in the process ended up with a much worse implementation than if it had been much simpler. Right now the auto pre-conditioning only works if you have a very consistent schedule, and if that's the case, it would be dead simple to set it manually using a scheduler, set once and forget. This method would be more reliable, and also have the benefit of letting people without the consistent schedule enter when they wanted it as well. Over thinking this and making it automatic made it a useless option for the majority of owners.

• Informative
Reactions: ToddS
I turned mine off after about a week. It was turning on at night just because I had gone out a couple night before. My schedule is erratic. It should function like a programmable home HVAC controller with weekday and weekend settings as a start but better yet a day to day or sync with the calendar. Then you could program it by having calendar events with travel time settings.

This is what the Nest Thermostat's scheduler looks like. This screenshot is from the web app, but the mobile apps have the same setup. If the car UI had something like this where you just slide and tap-to-adjust the times and temperatures, the preconditioning would be usable.

Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 09.32.05.png

Right now the auto pre-conditioning only works if you have a very consistent schedule

To re-iterate the point -- you have to have absolutely zero deviations in your schedule. ZERO.

Otherwise it'll remember that one time you had to run an errand at 2pm and will always precondition the car at 2pm :confused:

Tesla needed to do what Nest did. I let Nest learn my schedule, it did an OK job, but then I went and fine tuned it. Without the ability to see/fine-tune the schedule Tesla made a big mistake.

Preconditioning timing has gotten weird. The morning preconditioning is pretty well timed for my trip to work, but the evening is way off. I find it on at 9 to 10 at night, and I have NO idea why it thinks that's right. I'm rarely driving at that time.

Can I reset it so it learns again from scratch?

I believe so. I had it set for a while but when I discovered preconditioning was coming on at obscure times, I shut it off. Yesterday, (knowing how I like to punish myself) I turned it back on. Now the settings screen once again displays "learning." I take this to mean that the old information has been discarded and it is again trying to learn a schedule.

I turned mine off for this reason. It's pretty temperate where I live. So I really don't need it. But if it worked right, it would be awesome in extreme climates. I use my Remote S if I want a particular temp. I just wish I could have more options, like vent position and A/C, recirc control.

Glad to see I'm not alone. I never caught mine doing anything at any time until last evening, when I heard it working as I shut the garage door for bedtime. I didn't think it would need all night to prep for going to work in the morning so I shut it off...