Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I return my tow hitch? (delivery in a few days...)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realised that the two hitch was included in my initial order without knowing I can remove that.
I have paid for my model Y LR and it will be delivered next week (already have a VIN) but I would like to remove that accessory and return it to tesla, ideally for a refund.
Would that be possible? If not, are there any recommendations for selling this somewhere?

If it was installed at the factory likely no, since they may have cut out a hole for the receiver and if not, I assume they would charge you to remove it from the car. But if the hitch is installed by the dealer, then perhaps you can cancel it. Call the dealer ASAP!

I believe whether purchased at the same time you purchase your Tesla Model Y or when purchased separately from the Tesla online store the Tow Hitch is installed by the local Tesla Service Center. Things could have changed. Your sales advisor may be able to remove the Tow Hitch from your order, see about a credit to your final amount due at delivery.

Many thanks for your replies, I will contact my coordinator and let you know how that goes!
My assumption here is that I can refuse delivery so that another vehicle is assigned to me (without the tow hitch), then wait a couple of months and get my newly assigned vehicle (that hopefully has the new HW4 sensors or USS), but I do not think it's worth it, not to mention that things might slow down significantly.

Reactions: ATPMSD
Many thanks for your replies, I will contact my coordinator and let you know how that goes!
My assumption here is that I can refuse delivery so that another vehicle is assigned to me (without the tow hitch), then wait a couple of months and get my newly assigned vehicle (that hopefully has the new HW4 sensors or USS), but I do not think it's worth it, not to mention that things might slow down significantly.

USS is never coming back to the MY

If you try to order a model Y on the Italian website, then as soon as you choose the Long Range option, the two hitch is added by default! They do not do that for the RWD or the Performance model Y, absolutely nuts!

Here is what happened:
I ordered a model Y, but I scrolled down to the configuration first, chose my white interior and then checked that everything else is standard (no extra cost, 19", no enhanced autopilot). Then I went back up and I chose Long Range, then clicked continue (bottom of the page). The next page briefly mentions what the cost of the car is and that's pretty much it. I ordered a tow hitch (gancio di traino), because the UI added a tow hitch automatically when I switched to Long Range, while keeping the rest of my configuration! I did not realise this because they mention a bunch of stuff in the inventory page (like Standard Autopilot which I did not pay for either), so I assumed that the tow hitch is not up to me to configure.

Now they will deliver my vehicle in three days and it is not possible to remove it as the VIN assigned to my vehicle contains a tow hitch.
Is there any person that I can complain to, or ask for a refund?

Last edited by a moderator:
@ATPMSD My coordinator informed me that the tow hitch is part of the VIN, so to remove that we have to change the VIN. But the vehicle is due to be delivered next week so we cannot really do that anymore. I just realised that the Italian website adds a tow hitch when you choose the Long Range option while keeping the rest of the configuration, this is nuts! I opened a new thread it's awaiting approval.

Long story short, the Italian website automatically adds a tow hitch when you choose model Y Long Range. They do not do that with the RWD or the Performance model.
What happened was that I scrolled down to the configuration, chose my white seats, made sure that everything else is standard (no extra cost). Then scrolled back up to change to Long Rage and hit continue. Tesla kept my white seats configuration but it added a gancio di taino (tow hitch). This is absolutely nuts and I did not realise because the inventory is full of things that you don't have to pay for (like standard autopilot)

You can reject the vehicle here in the US. Find out if you can do the same in your country.

You will probably need to cancel the order unless after rejecting the current VIN your able to change your order and remove tow.

How much extra is tow package in Italy? Here in the US tow is $1,000 and non refundable order fee is $250. Here it would be advisable just to leave the tow package on rather than go through all the hassle for $750.

I realised that the two hitch was included in my initial order without knowing I can remove that.
I have paid for my model Y LR and it will be delivered next week (already have a VIN) but I would like to remove that accessory and return it to tesla, ideally for a refund.
Would that be possible? If not, are there any recommendations for selling this somewhere?
It probably will be installed at the Service Center. Contact them with your change of plans and I bet they'll not install it and issue a refund.

it will be delivered next week

I guess you didn't pay yet the fullamount for it?
At the time of signing your delivery, review your amount and mention this issue and try to get it rectified.
Or get reimbursed later if this is another possibility.

I remember in my case that there was a change of $1,000 lower price between when I ordered and took delivery.
So, I didn't signed any document untill the change was made.,

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
@240vPlug , the two package is 1350 EUR which is more like USD 1450, but prices always include v.a.t here. Even if I sell the actual hitch, most of the cost is due to installation and review, not the two ball itself, I guess

@brkaus, I did not add a tow hitch, this was automatically added by the website when I chose model Y. This is misleading UI and as a web developer I can assure you my company has received lawsuits for similar issues. I understand they already added the tow packages and I can't really remove that now, but at the very least they need to fix that so that other people do not get tricked by that UI.

@240vPlug , the two package is 1350 EUR which is more like USD 1450, but prices always include v.a.t here. Even if I sell the actual hitch, most of the cost is due to installation and review, not the two ball itself, I guess

@brkaus, I did not add a tow hitch, this was automatically added by the website when I chose model Y. This is misleading UI and as a web developer I can assure you my company has received lawsuits for similar issues. I understand they already added the tow packages and I can't really remove that now, but at the very least they need to fix that so that other people do not get tricked by that UI.
I understand. I think contacting the service center and discussing it with them right away is a good first step.

But you had a chance to review your order and remove it right? I'm obviously not familiar with the laws in Italy regarding these types of things, but I would imagine that unless it's a 'mandatory option' for some reason, you would have had the opportunity to remove it before confirming the order. But yes, you need to contact your Sales Assistant and ask whether it is shipped with the hitch installed from the factory or if it is added at the delivery point.

Reactions: SO16
But you had a chance to review your order and remove it right? I'm obviously not familiar with the laws in Italy regarding these types of things, but I would imagine that unless it's a 'mandatory option' for some reason, you would have had the opportunity to remove it before confirming the order. But yes, you need to contact your Sales Assistant and ask whether it is shipped with the hitch installed from the factory or if it is added at the delivery point.
The UI is designed in a way to trick you into getting a tow-hitch without knowing. I do not understand why the US version of the website does not add the tow-hitch automatically. It looks like some EU countries do this to maximise profit to be honest! You have a chance to review the add ons, and I was definitely excited for getting a new car that I did not pay enough attention to the details. But as a software developer I have seen lawsuits for similar, UI related issues. I was told that this has been installed by the factory and it is not possible to remove that.

Here in the US Tesla has pre-selected options in the past. When the cheapest options would result in a significant delay in delivery. One example I can think of is when they preselected 20 inch induction wheels. They did that because if you selected the 19 inch Gemini it resulted in a significantly longer delivery time. So if you wanted to save $2,000 you had to deselect the induction wheels and select the Gemini wheels. The key here was the price you knew by looking at the price that that option was pre-selected because the car was $2,000 more. You could also visually see that the car has the black induction wheels and not the 19-in Gemini wheels. I could see how one could possibly overlook the tow package. However, the higher price should have been a dead giveaway that something additional was added. The only thing I can tell you is to reject the vehicle and then try to change your order.

I suspect Tesla does this so that when someone navigate to the web page the estimated delivery time displayed is as quick as possible. If they left everything at the cheapest options to delivery time would be significantly longer and may deter some buyers. This is only speculation on my part however.