TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can I see photos of how you are using a bike water holder to hold the UMC plugged into NEMA 14-50?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by ponzu, Nov 6, 2018.

?

Should I have NEMA 14-50 installed so that UMC plugged into it

1. hangs down

8 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. points up and needs to be mounted in a rack

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. points sideways and needs a shelf

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. points sideways and can free hang

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. other (please explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ponzu

ponzu Member

NEMA 14-50 outlet is getting installed today in the garage. I imagine I will have a say in which way it gets oriented: up, down or sideways. I assume it is generally agreed that suspending the UMC from the outlet is not a fantastic idea. Do most people angle their NEMA 14-50 outlets up, and then install a bike water bottle holder or some such device above to securely hold the UMC, which plugs into NEMA 14-50 below it? Or is it a sideways mount with a little shelf?

Is there any such thing as the best practice for orienting the NEMA 14-50 outlet and securing the UMC, or does everyone wing it on their own?

I have enough time to go and get the bike water bottle holder or shelf before the job gets done, but I imagine I need to tell them which way to orient the outlet, and I need this decision in the next few hours.

Photos and success/trouble stories will be appreciated ASAP.

Thanks!

2. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

I would say that is definitely not what "most people" do. I've seen that only very rarely on this forum. Considering that Tesla has a published outlet installation guide that says how it should be installed (hanging down), that is probably what "most people" do.
    https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/installation-guides/NEMA_14-50_installation_guide_NA_US_2017.pdf
    The older version of install guide they used to have up there specified 18 inches minimum off the floor, so I have mine that high, and the electronics box of the charging cable rests on the floor, and then I have the cord come back up to loop over a cable hanger on the wall, so I don't need any bracket to support the box.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

• Helpful x 1
  4. ponzu

ponzu Member

Thanks!