Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I see photos of how you are using a bike water holder to hold the UMC plugged into NEMA 14-50?

Should I have NEMA 14-50 installed so that UMC plugged into it

• hangs down

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • points up and needs to be mounted in a rack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • points sideways and needs a shelf

• points sideways and can free hang

• other (please explain)

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NEMA 14-50 outlet is getting installed today in the garage. I imagine I will have a say in which way it gets oriented: up, down or sideways. I assume it is generally agreed that suspending the UMC from the outlet is not a fantastic idea. Do most people angle their NEMA 14-50 outlets up, and then install a bike water bottle holder or some such device above to securely hold the UMC, which plugs into NEMA 14-50 below it? Or is it a sideways mount with a little shelf?

Is there any such thing as the best practice for orienting the NEMA 14-50 outlet and securing the UMC, or does everyone wing it on their own?

I have enough time to go and get the bike water bottle holder or shelf before the job gets done, but I imagine I need to tell them which way to orient the outlet, and I need this decision in the next few hours.

Photos and success/trouble stories will be appreciated ASAP.

Thanks!

Do most people angle their NEMA 14-50 outlets up, and then install a bike water bottle holder or some such device above to securely hold the UMC, which plugs into NEMA 14-50 below it?
I would say that is definitely not what "most people" do. I've seen that only very rarely on this forum. Considering that Tesla has a published outlet installation guide that says how it should be installed (hanging down), that is probably what "most people" do.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default.../NEMA_14-50_installation_guide_NA_US_2017.pdf
The older version of install guide they used to have up there specified 18 inches minimum off the floor, so I have mine that high, and the electronics box of the charging cable rests on the floor, and then I have the cord come back up to loop over a cable hanger on the wall, so I don't need any bracket to support the box.