TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can I set the charger to pull more than 40a from a NEMA 14-50?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by elecblue, Dec 22, 2012.

1. elecblue

elecblue Member

Singapore (for next 2 years) previously Chicago, I
    I have a NEMA 14-50 at home, and would like to pull more than 40 amps - to see if I can get it higher (really just a test). However, the car won't let me go over 40a. Does anyone know how to adjust this?

2. CanuckS#69

CanuckS#69 Member

My understanding is that 40a is the limit for continuous draw on a 50a circuit. Above 40a is ok for burst, but not long term.

3. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

You can't. The UMC sends a pilot signal based on the adapter attached, and since the UMC is rated for only 40A maximum current, that's all that will be allowed. There might be a way to force it in the car but we're not privy to that.

4. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I think that's correct. If you want to charge faster, you have to charge off a HPWC, supercharger or high-amp J-1772, which all come with their own cables and connectors that are designed for the current they supply. If you try to trick the car into pulling more than 40A over the UMC, you risk destroying the UMC and charge port, and starting a fire.