Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I/Should I Buy LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any out of warranty BMW is more expensive than paying current market price premium on a model 3.

In any case I’m firmly in the camp that anyone expecting Y to tank 3 values Is going to be in for a rude awakening. This isn’t like an Altima vs Rogue or Camry vs RAV4.
I’m not expecting a “tank”, I’m expecting a correction. Used Model 3’s costing the same or more than a new Model 3 makes no sense. A 2018 AWD Model 3 is its autopilot should cost about 85% of the cost of a 2020 considering the age and loss of warranty, or in other words $41,600. That doesn’t seem to be the case right now.

If you live and work in a large metropolitan area like NYC, LA or the San Francisco Bay Area, you can go with the SR+ with no worries.SR+ range and the traction you get with 2WD will be enough. And there are Superchargers everywhere in most meropolitan areas, but you won't need them if you install a level 2 charger at home.

If you like to head off on road trips or do a weekend in the mountains, get the LR AWD for the four wheel drive. The AWD makes the M3 stick to the road like glue even when the road conditions are marginal. And in my case, I sometimes head up from the Bay Ara through Yosemite, and the range is comforting given that I haven't found any charging within the confines of the very, very large park.

Contrary to some others' opinions, forget the stealth or performance unless you like to go out drag racing on weekends. The AWD has all the acceleration you'll need on the road; step on the pedal and you'll feel like you're a watermelon seed that someone has squeezed between their fingers. I have to be careful on the on-ramp to the Interstate or within a few seconds I'll look down and see I'm hitting 90 and climbing. The best word I can use for the feel of the car is "authoritative"; you know you have ALL the power you need instantaneously when you need it.

There are some other perks for getting the LR AWD, such as the best auto sound system in the world (per the opinions of multiple professional reviewers), heated seats, etc.
I simply don’t want the RWD. I want the acceleration. Yes, I will use the acceleration frequently. I like to have fun with my cars.

Contrary to some others' opinions, forget the stealth or performance unless you like to go out drag racing on weekends.

Contrary to some others' opinions, the LR AWD (especially if Boosted) is perfectly happy drag racing on the weekends as I did such just this past one. It put a smile on my face beating a modded Camaro ZL1 to the finish and being immediately asked for a rematch and asked lots of questions by said victim thereafter. To anyone who thinks you strictly need the Performance model to have fun outside of the public roads is sorely mistaken.

@OP I say go for it. The LR AWD really hits the sweet spot and if you want even more speed you can always purchase it later with the Acceleration Boost. Had mine for over a year and absolutely zero regrets.

I was initially going to buy a model 3 a year ago. I was going to get the longe range rwd , then one day they took that away from me. I didnt buy then because my son decided he didn’t want to drive his first year of college. More likely he didn’t want to get a small part time job for insurance. Seeing as he took all prerequisites in high school dual credit and is going for medical school at Baylor he wanted to focus on school.. prices were going down and the sr and sr+ were not a compromise I could except. I’m not gonna pay a lot of money for very little range. As I Kept track of prices awd got bigger on my radar. But then the prices started going back up, and I had to really consider the sr+. I wanted a Tesla so bad, but I could not talk myself into the sr+. Not only is range way worse but the other limitations just sat bad in my mind. I wanted the rwd to make a comeback. From then to now I’ve had a couple of big raises and a good possibility of a huge promotion soon. So the awd fell back on my lap. The only regret is I didn’t act a little earlier and get a stealth. I ended up ordering the awd with one last ditch effort to get a stealth, but none will be coming out in the next 4 weeks is what I was told so it’s the awd. Come late summer I’ll order the wife a rwd y and then I’ll wait a year or two trade in my 3 for a new 3 performance. Figure the new battery tech should be in in a few years...

I can appreciate you planning for your future. You may be one of the lucky ones who retires at 50-55. But statistically speaking, the average retirement age in the USA is 67 and the average male life expectancy is 79. At 67-79, you may not care about the money.

I’m a firm believer... Take the trips, get the experiences, buy the cars! Life is short. Enjoy it in your middle years. It appears you can afford it just fine. I’d rather enjoy my money at 42 while still maintaining a very good net worth, than have someone hand my kids an even bigger check when I pass.

You’re not being irresponsible. Go for it!

The question that has been asked 1000 times already, but decided to post it anyways knowing the ultimate decision comes down to a case by case basis, but here I am doing it anyways. Fire away and poke holes anywhere you see them. Feedback for or against is all welcome. The most expensive car I’ve ever bought was a $32k car, so this is a big jump. Anyways, here’s me.

I’m 42 and make $120k a year at a stable job. I love my job. I have a stay at home wife and 2 kids, a 12 yo being the oldest. I currently drive a 2016 i3. I was an original launch day Model 3 reservation holder, but backed out after realizing I was never going to get $7,500 credit off a $35,000 car. Got a used $19k i3 instead. I can’t stop thinking about it. This is my dream car. For as long as I can remember as a kid building and racing RC cars, I’ve wanted an EV. I’m a big EV fan. It’s my hobby.

Back to the financials. Like I said, $120k gross salary. I max out my 401k every year and almost have a million in net worth. In 2010, we did the opposite of most people and sold the McMansion and bought a smaller foreclosure, fixed it, and now live comfortably with our $860/mo mortgage payment (included P&I, and taxes and insurance escrow). I want to pay for my kid’s college.

So I ask, do I pull the trigger? I’m struggling doing so even though I think the math works out. Like I said, this would be by far the most expensive car I’ve ever bought. And this is me raised by my mother and father who are very well off, but my father always buying $15k used cars and keeping them for 10 years. I’m I stupid for not following his footsteps that have worked out very well?

Thanks in advance of letting me ramble on and on. I need people to push me or pull me from this ledge.

I'm likely different than most people posting. I am older - later 60's - and very financially conservative. I guess I have lived through too many reversals to take anything for granted. I've been well off, flat broke, and everything in between.

In terms of salary, you have to ask yourself what you expect to be making in the future (say 3-5 years) not now. When I worked for a living :D many years ago .... 42 was the age where companies started moving people up or moving them out. I think it's still pretty much the same today. No one will want someone to do a job given to a 40 year old when that person reaches 50. They just get too expensive - and you know how it goes if you've been working a while. This applies to most jobs.

At $120K, your taxes are likely pretty low with the kids and expenses you describe. So that is good. Chances are in 2-3 years, any changes in the tax structure will not affect you either way - which is good. On the other hand, you have two kids to support - an expensive proposition, especially if you want to pay for their college. A good chunk of your current net worth can get eaten in raising and schooling your kids. Finally, you have to be prepared for the unexpected. People get sick beyond what they are insured for. Tens and hundreds of thousands can just go out the door simply for that. Lots of things happen - and you likely know that.

But I said "can". Life is a gamble, and you need to enjoy it while you are here. That doesn't mean rolling high and spending up a fortune as that is not a safe way to live with a family that depends on you. It does mean enjoying the fruits of your labors. You didn't talk about your other expenses. That (to me) makes all the difference here. If you or your wife have other costly lifestyle choices - you have to consider those as well. The one thing about money is that you can't spend it more than once. So your decision probably is a balance of what you want for a car and what you spend on other things. So, at that, I will stop acting like an old fart and get to the point.

Most people are never satisfied with whatever car they can have. I never am. Eventually they will want more - that is - if they are into cars (which it sounds like you are). Tesla-wise ... a stealth is close to $60K with tax (I'm in California). A SR+ is a LOT less money and still a damn nice car. Most likely it will be far from your last car, so plan accordingly. If you want to hit the accelerator and feel the G-forces - then a stealth is a nice ride (I have one). If you are into the EV lifestyle (sees like you are) and want a nice car that still performs damn well - an SR+ is good. Ask yourself, are you really going to be charging around at ridiculous speeds with your wife and kids with you? Either way, a Tesla could and should be in your future. Only you can figure out which one. You will like all of them, and want something else in a few years - likely another Tesla.

Good luck in our decision. I say "pull the trigger" but first decide what you want to buy. Life is short - and needs to be enjoyed. But you have a family too. Nothing's easy, huh??!:cool:

prices were going down and the sr and sr+ were not a compromise I could except. I’m not gonna pay a lot of money for very little range

I guess this is relative, but considering the current EV landscape, I don't think one can call 250 miles "very little range."

SR+ is the most efficient EV ever produced, and compared to other EVs of similar price, is a great value (federal tax credit notwithstanding).

Reactions: house9
Buy the car that meets ALL your needs. Else you will have regrets every time you get behind the wheel of the compromise you did buy.

@shiftkenny can help you find a 3 stealth performance. You will love every mile, not regret it.

The car is among the safest on the road. You will save money on maintenance and fuel.

Tesla is - by far - the most expensive car we’ve ever purchased. Twice. We had previously never paid as much as $30k for a car, then drove them until repair costs made them unacceptable.

First round in 2017. Model S for my wife. Started by looking for one with the colors and features she wanted, and lowest cost. At that time lots of features were extra-cost options.

I’m the long haul driver in addition to primary earner. Anticipated how it would feel driving a nice, pricey vehicle that fell short of my requirements for a road trip tool. Added those to the list.

Went from 75 KWh (Standard Range) to 100 KWh (Long Range). RWD to AWD since that gave better range for S. Smart Air Suspension, too, since it lowers the car at highway speed for less drag. Enhanced Autopilot for less stress. Saved money by purchasing an inventory car with 1,100 miles and a sweet markdown.

That dream car was in Chicago, we live near Philadelphia. Avoided delivery fee by flying out on a cheap plane ticket, then driving it 900+ miles home with a friend.

After the first 50 miles there was no doubt - I spent more and ended up with the car that checked every box. Got a sore elbow from patting myself on the back for configuring the best road car I could imagine. No regrets at all.

It was our first AWD car, we both appreciated the benefit in slippery conditions.

My wife loved it. Her friends all admired the car and envied her. Eventually she complained it was too big to easily park downtown, and the interior storage was inadequate.

She test-drove a Model 3 AWD when the local Tesla showroom/ Service Center got one mid-2018. That thrilled her. The right size, useful interior storage and sports car handling. We ordered P3D- (it was on the menu then) that evening.

It’s hers and she loves it. I got the S and still feel deep satisfaction every time I get behind the wheel.

I’m a lap ahead of you - both daughters through college and married. I’m fortunate to do well in a job I love, still working past retirement age. That, plus rising stock market, allowed us to get two cars in two years while still adding to retirement fund.

thanks for the reply. I have a 5 mile commute, but I do not want a SR+. I want the AWD. A bit crazy, yes, but I want the AWD. I just don’t want regular old RWD (even though I’m a fan of some cars in RWD). I’m a bit of a car nut, but trying to balance sanity vs “YOLO!”
Why do you think that the AWD is so much better?
If this is going to be the family car, get the AWD. If this is your commuter, get the SR+

You can afford it so no reason to have to justify rewarding some of your cost saving measures that got you to where you are at.
Get the AWD new in the color you want and enjoy it.

Or if you are in no rush, seek out one of the elusive stealth models (definitely worth the $2K premium) ; just be aware you may need to be flexible on color/options to actually get one of those.

More power, better acceleration, more grip, better resale, and available acceleration boost. I have fun with my cars.

You're questioning your own ability to afford the car but are then talking about spending an additional (non-financed) $2K after purchase on acceleration boost. ‍♂️ To each his own.

Also, there are good discussions about which models will hold up best for resale and many think it'll be the Standard Range/+ models.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
At your stage in life my thought would be: If you have to finance it, don't buy it. By your own analysis and admission you don't need it to live your life. Same goes for boats, fancy vacations, and all those other luxury non-essential. You're doing great in your life, don't get carried away.

Just comments from an old curmudgeon who just bought a 2020 M3 LR AWD. For cash.

The question that has been asked 1000 times already, but decided to post it anyways knowing the ultimate decision comes down to a case by case basis, but here I am doing it anyways. Fire away and poke holes anywhere you see them. Feedback for or against is all welcome. The most expensive car I’ve ever bought was a $32k car, so this is a big jump. Anyways, here’s me.

I’m 42 and make $120k a year at a stable job. I love my job. I have a stay at home wife and 2 kids, a 12 yo being the oldest. I currently drive a 2016 i3. I was an original launch day Model 3 reservation holder, but backed out after realizing I was never going to get $7,500 credit off a $35,000 car. Got a used $19k i3 instead. I can’t stop thinking about it. This is my dream car. For as long as I can remember as a kid building and racing RC cars, I’ve wanted an EV. I’m a big EV fan. It’s my hobby.

Back to the financials. Like I said, $120k gross salary. I max out my 401k every year and almost have a million in net worth. In 2010, we did the opposite of most people and sold the McMansion and bought a smaller foreclosure, fixed it, and now live comfortably with our $860/mo mortgage payment (included P&I, and taxes and insurance escrow). I want to pay for my kid’s college.

So I ask, do I pull the trigger? I’m struggling doing so even though I think the math works out. Like I said, this would be by far the most expensive car I’ve ever bought. And this is me raised by my mother and father who are very well off, but my father always buying $15k used cars and keeping them for 10 years. I’m I stupid for not following his footsteps that have worked out very well?

Thanks in advance of letting me ramble on and on. I need people to push me or pull me from this ledge.

just my 2 cents.. Buying a *new* car is never a good/sound financial idea, it is second only to buying a boat. Buying a 3yr old car under 20k would make the most sense financially. That said.. I have never ever bought a used car, all the cars I have ordered/waited/took delivery were based on emotion not math, and all of them cost me upwards of 50k. I was raised in a financially conservative family.. well they did not have money so they had no choice. But my dad always told me.. "if you don't plan to spend your hard earned money.. someone else will surely will". Looks like you work hard, make responsible decisions, there is nothing wrong IMHO in rewarding yourself. A week long vacation for 4 to your dream location in Europe will cost you 10k approx, would you have trouble with spending that? If you took similar vacation for 3yrs in a row.. there is your depreciation on a car. The joy of driving your dream car 2-3 hrs a day for 365 days a year for 7yrs would be MUCH greater than the 3 weeks in 3yrs you took as vacation to your dream location in Europe, that cost you pretty much what you lost in depreciation. Or another way to look at it is .. $50,000 (Total cost of ownership) divided by (7yrs * 365 days) equals less than $20 a day, if you use Uber every day for the same amount of travel how much would it cost you in 7yrs?? Would it be the same fun?

More power, better acceleration, more grip, better resale, and available acceleration boost. I have fun with my cars.

And you are indeed going to get all of that. When compared to the i3 (and most other car on the road)
People seem to think that the SR+ is a slow, terrible car, but it's not. It's faster 0-60 than most anything else out there.
I'm not sure why you think resale would be worse. Odds are that it will be better. Lower priced cars in the same lineage just about always have better resale.

People seem to think that the SR+ is a slow, terrible car, but it's not. It's faster 0-60 than most anything else out there.

It's the fastest car I've ever owned. At age 65, it's got all the acceleration my reaction time can handle, and much more than my wife wants. I have plenty of fun with the car when I'm alone in it, or with a guy friend. Wonderful car.

At your stage in life my thought would be: If you have to finance it, don't buy it. By your own analysis and admission you don't need it to live your life. Same goes for boats, fancy vacations, and all those other luxury non-essential. You're doing great in your life, don't get carried away.

Just comments from an old curmudgeon who just bought a 2020 M3 LR AWD. For cash.

I agree-- I would not buy more than you can easily afford in cash without any impact to your family/lifestyle. In my case I got a SR because it has the same build quality and interior/exterior as the most expensive P3D model. As much as Tesla has improved quality in 2020, there's still widespread reports of paint issues, rattles, and other annoyances. I knew that if I paid $50-60k+ my expectations would be much higher and I would be dissapointed. At $35k I am at least more ok and accepting of these issues on delivery. You're getting 90%+ of the product at a fraction of the price. The extra range and acceleration is nice, but for me the 30-60mph acceleration range is definitely fast enough and I don't necessarily need the range for a ~35 mile RT commute and mostly city driving.