Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I still cancel my M3P order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my white / white Model 3 Performance (Seattle area) on March 17th. I have a delivery date for this Friday, but no vin or details on a specific vehicle match yet.

I bought FSD, but now that HW3 is being included in the MS and MX builds, I don't want to take delivery of my M3P until it has HW3 included since the timing is so close.

Can I still cancel the order, get my $2500 back and place it again in a few weeks when they announce HW3?

HW3 references:
So I received a HW3
HW3

I saw the article in the media about HW3 but I don't believe everything I read on the internet. We still don't know when the M3 production line will have HW3 hardware. If you let Tesla know that you want to cancel your order and wait until HW3 is shipping I think they will most likely give you your money back in spite of what the language about the deposit says. You could also just ask to delay your delivery until they can confirm they have a car with HW3 in it and see how they respond. And of course, last resort you could take delivery and then immediately return it and get your money back. I'm sure you don't want to do that but just telling Tesla you will do that if need be will likely cause them to issue you a refund rather than dealing with a return which is far more expensive to them.

I would focus on getting the VIN before doing any cancelations.

If it has HW3 then you don't need to make any decision.

If it doesn't have FSD I would simply get written confirmation that you'll get the upgrade to HW3 for free. It's going to be awhile before HW3 owners will really benefit from it.

We also don't know when new Model 3's will get HW3. They obviously started with the Model X, but we don't know which other models are shipping with HW3.

I am guessing based on the language in the order agreement it will be harder to cancel and get my deposit back after a VIN is assigned. I got my order in before the price increase, but the same config is only $1500 more. So I am thinking it is safer to cancel my order now if possible and place a new order as soon as it is confirmed that HW3 is shipping in the Model 3. Worth the $1500 and waiting a little longer in my opinion to get a huge hardware change in the car.

If it were me I’d pocket the $1,500 guaranteed savings you have by keeping the order in place. If you are buying FSD anyway you will get an HW3 upgrade when it’s ready. I don’t think I’d want one of the first HW3 upgrades to roll off the line anyway. Who knows what quality control issues they may have with the first batch.

If you bought FSD, you'll get a free HW3 retrofit. Elon's said this multiple times on Twitter, and service centers should be getting ready for the upgrade. So, if that's your only concern, you should be all set.

Agreed. However who knows how long it will take to get the upgrade installed and if they will change any sensors. If the HW3 date was still some time in the future I would just move ahead and get my M3P now so I could enjoy it. However, since we are probably a few weeks or a month away from HW3 coming standard on Model 3s it seems worth waiting at this point for the 100% assurance of getting the latest and greatest.

I posted this on the other thread but try this on the ev-cpo option code page:

Before delivery you will have a box called “View Spec” on your My Tesla page. Right click and copy the URL or hold down on the button (if on mobile) and copy the URL that way. From there you just paste the URL to the page above to get the decoded option codes.

Inventory cars on Tesla can just use a VIN.

Here is the direct link: https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/?lookup
As @Tkun said, copy the 'View Spec' link in mytesla and paste it here.

I wonder whether it would show HW2.5 if somebody ordered recently and was assigned a 2018 Model 3 but hasn't taken delivery yet or, whether it would incorrectly show HW3 even in this case. In other words, is the 'View Spec' link tied to your specific car or is it a default setting that applies to all orders.

Last edited:
I am guessing based on the language in the order agreement it will be harder to cancel and get my deposit back after a VIN is assigned. I got my order in before the price increase, but the same config is only $1500 more. So I am thinking it is safer to cancel my order now if possible and place a new order as soon as it is confirmed that HW3 is shipping in the Model 3. Worth the $1500 and waiting a little longer in my opinion to get a huge hardware change in the car.

Out of curiosity we don’t know when FSD will be improved for use yet (and not even fully baked yet at development) so does it really matter that the car gets delivered with it now or not? They will be updating all cars that ordered it, and Elon said about a 30 min shop timeframe. Don’t think this is a huge hardware change that you think it is, at least in time and useability right now.

If you delay you’ll miss the reduced pricing on the car, and if it doesn’t get installed in new Model 3s until later, are you at risk of losing more of a Federal Tax credit? Plus you’ll miss out on driving a fun car during those months you wait.

I wonder whether it would show HW2.5 if somebody ordered recently and was assigned a 2018 Model 3 but hasn't taken delivery yet or, whether it would incorrectly show HW3 even in this case. In other words, is the 'View Spec' link tied to your specific car or is it a default setting that applies to all orders.

The codes are specific to the car ordered and not a default setting. But they can and do change as the car goes into production. So it could say AP2.5 now, but then change to AP3 later. In no case would it go backwards and say AP3 now and then change down to AP2.5.

For the OPs question, I’d suggest like the others just take delivery now and wait for the retrofit. HW3 probably won’t do much until then anyway and cancelling and reordering is a hassle and expensive for both parties with virtually zero benefit.

You can also use the easy to remember shortcut: https://ev-cpo.com/lookup

Last edited:
Not getting anything showing on my vin # when I entered it in on ev-cpo?

The Options Lookup tool on EV-CPO does not decode all Tesla VINs. It can only decode VINs that have been sold as Inventory or Used(CPO) cars on the Tesla.com website.

To get the options list for your car, you need to acquire the options code list elsewhere (see the instructions above to copy the link from your 'view spec' order page), and then plug that list into the Option Lookup tool.

I ordered my white / white Model 3 Performance (Seattle area) on March 17th. I have a delivery date for this Friday, but no vin or details on a specific vehicle match yet.

I bought FSD, but now that HW3 is being included in the MS and MX builds, I don't want to take delivery of my M3P until it has HW3 included since the timing is so close.

Can I still cancel the order, get my $2500 back and place it again in a few weeks when they announce HW3?

Overreacting. Don't worry about it. If you need it you will get it.

So it could say AP2.5 now, but then change to AP3 later. In no case would it go backwards and say AP3 now and then change down to AP2.5.

Let's assume the following scenario:
1. John ordered a Model 3 yesterday. His View Spec link shows HW3 but no car has been assigned yet.
2. Mike was supposed to take delivery today but he realized that the car is a 2018 Model 3 and refused delivery.
3. Tesla has now assigned the same car to John's order.

In this scenario, I would expect John's View Spec link to update and show HW2.5 and his VIN to show 2018 (10th character is J for 2018). Why wouldn't this happen? Tesla had 11,000 unsold 2018 Model 3s on 19 Feb 2019. The full list is here.

Yes, in my scenario there's nothing being refused/cancelled. You're adding a hypothetical situation to my assertion and then refuting that new scenario.

I still assert that someone ordering a NEW car today, the code will either say APH3 or APH4. Once it's in production, it might change from APH3 to APH4. Of course one can come up with dozens of oddball hypothetical situations that would change that. But I wasn't talking about those rare or highly unlikely cases. Also, if he refuses delivery (a) why would Tesla assign that car to his account, and even if they did... (b) why would he care which AP HW version it has? It's irrelevant at that point.

But I wasn't talking about those rare or highly unlikely cases.

That's your assumption and it's obviously incorrect because the following scenarios happen all the time:

Scenario 1: Somebody orders a new Model 3 and Tesla assigns a 2018 Model 3 to this buyer
Scenario 2: Somebody orders a new Model 3 and Tesla assigns a 2018 Model 3 to this buyer that was returned previously and the car has a few hundred miles on it.

Both scenarios are common. Also, Tesla is doing this without even asking the buyer whether they would be OK with this.

Edit: There are lots of examples of both scenarios. With the 7 days return policy, this will continue to happen in the next few days.

Last edited:
Let's assume the following scenario:
1. John ordered a Model 3 yesterday. His View Spec link shows HW3 but no car has been assigned yet.
2. Mike was supposed to take delivery today but he realized that the car is a 2018 Model 3 and refused delivery.
3. Tesla has now assigned the same car to John's order.

In this scenario, I would expect John's View Spec link to update and show HW2.5 and his VIN to show 2018 (10th character is J for 2018). Why wouldn't this happen? Tesla had 11,000 unsold 2018 Model 3s on 19 Feb 2019. The full list is here.

Have you noticed most on your 11000 list are, in fact, 2019’s?