Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I take a car from another service center?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a model 3 a few days. Long range dual motor midnight silver metallic with Full self driving.

I’m hearing horror stories of people already waiting a month for this color and configurations similar.

I see This exact configuration at a service center a few hours away. Easily drivable. I texted my salesperson that has been guiding me on the purchase and they suddenly stopped answering me when I suggested I’d be willing to take one of those VINs

is this soemthing I can even do? Is this something my contact at my local service center can coordinate? Do they have some incentive NOT to pair me with that car? Should I just call the other service center and tell them I want that car?

what am I missing here? Anyone with experience with this?

OA here says that they're comfortable bringing in a car that's up to 500 miles away; beyond that, there's an additional service charge. I can't speculate on any other motivations that might be in play, as I don't know what incentives or risks they undergo.

I can say that, given the current trickle of domestic production, I've been pestering my OA for suggestions on whether to give up on my on-order build and pick up a local one. The response seems reasonable: give it a little more time, as we want to make sure you don't give up on the car you wanted in exchange for the expedient choice. That's rational enough--and I'm naturally impatient enough--that it sounds like wisdom rather than ulterior motive.

OA here says that they're comfortable bringing in a car that's up to 500 miles away; beyond that, there's an additional service charge. I can't speculate on any other motivations that might be in play, as I don't know what incentives or risks they undergo.

I can say that, given the current trickle of domestic production, I've been pestering my OA for suggestions on whether to give up on my on-order build and pick up a local one. The response seems reasonable: give it a little more time, as we want to make sure you don't give up on the car you wanted in exchange for the expedient choice. That's rational enough--and I'm naturally impatient enough--that it sounds like wisdom rather than ulterior motive.

this is within 200 miles - you’re saying they will actually transport that car for me to my local center for free if I ask? Do I need to get my
Local center to do it, or the center that has the car?

in my case , I wouldn’t be sacrificing anything. It is literally the identical build

How long does it take to get it shipped once you make the request? I will call first thing tomorrow to the other service center. My current center keeps ignoring my calls and texts. It made me think that somehow taking another service center’s car somehow hurt my service center’s numbers or something. They were so incredibly responsive until I made that specific ask

Hmm the rep from my service center was the one that initiated the transfer request from the out of state center, but it was after I selected the car and paid for it through the website (didn’t show a transfer fee at the time). They told me 1-2 weeks for shipping. Since I have to have everything settled before delivery in my state, I imagine it’s slowing down the process a bit. Hopefully should be good to go tomorrow, and I’ll have my car soon!

How long does it take to get it shipped once you make the request? I will call first thing tomorrow to the other service center. My current center keeps ignoring my calls and texts. It made me think that somehow taking another service center’s car somehow hurt my service center’s numbers or something. They were so incredibly responsive until I made that specific ask
It tends to be a bit open ended for shipping times. Plus more people handling the car...

I’d strongly suggest you make sure that the car is actually be trailered to the site. I had a bad experience with the Springfield NJ site using their employees to move cars from out of state as a cost saving measure. The car had numerous issues and I had to refuse it.

Luckily I was able to get a different car trailered from out of state to the Paramus location.

Please note that in my opinion, the Paramus Tesla staff and site are MUCH better than the Springfield group. I use Paramus now even though Springfield is closer to me.

I’d strongly suggest you make sure that the car is actually be trailered to the site. I had a bad experience with the Springfield NJ site using their employees to move cars from out of state as a cost saving measure. The car had numerous issues and I had to refuse it.

Luckily I was able to get a different out of site car trailered to the Paramus location.

I was just about to come here and reply with happy news —- the update is I called VA and they told me the cars are not actually at the site, they are in transit. He told me 1 VIN was coming the 22nd and the other the 23rd. He said I have to call NJ to my advisor to have the vin claimed.

i called Paramus Nj, my assignor was busy but the gentleman who picked out the phone was super nice - he offered to help. Within 2 minutes he had one of the VINs claimed for me and advised the VIN would show up on my account in a few hours. Because I happen to live south of Springfield, it obligated me to choose between Springfield and cherry hill and did not let me choose Paramus where we did the test drive while we were visiting family up there.

he claims it should add about a week to ship it from VA to Springfield NJ

are you saying I should have it shipped to Paramus or Cherry Hill? Is the Springfield sales center known for messing up the cars somehow during intake?

I personally would never use the Springfield location.

They actually lied to me about many issues including the reason the car had extra miles on it, the defects, etc etc. They greatly prefer you to pay for the car before even seeing it. Please note that when I showed up for delivery, all of the Tesla people I previously had worked with were “not available.

I have no experience with Cherry Hill but it’s hard to imagine them being as bad as Springfield.

I personally would never use the Springfield location.

They actually lied to me about many issues including the reason the car had extra miles on it, the defects, etc etc. They greatly prefer you to pay for the car before even seeing it. Please note that when I showed up for delivery, all of the Tesla people I previously had worked with were “not available.

I have no experience with Cherry Hill but it’s hard to imagine them being as bad as Springfield.

While I have never met you- I’m going to take your word for it! Just texted my advisor and they switched me to a Paramus delivery.

thanks for the advice