Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I take delivery & sell M3 for a profit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds a lot like land line phone vs cell phones.

Not really. Cell phones do have some limitations (Service area, battery life) but the advantages opened new areas that land lines never had. Like range greater than a cord, portability. All things that made then desirable to the general public.

As they are now electric cars are still a compromise to the average consumer. Now if they become dirt cheap, Can charge in 30 seconds everywhere, have range great than an ICE car. The demand would change over night. All things I can see happening in the future.

I doubt the energy cost will stay cheaper the gasoline as once the market shifts to electric the infrastructure cost and road taxes will be added to the electricity cost.

Last edited:
Cost, Range worries, Ability to fill up quickly without planning on road trips, Reduced range in Winter, Charger installation, Plugging in every night. All things you do not worry about with ICE cars.

Okay, allow me to put my two cents about ICE vehicles.
- Cost, there are ICE vehicles people complain about the costs of as well. Not sure what your point is on cost... everything costs money.

- range worries. I laugh at this, really you have never ever seen a person with a gas can in their hands going to put gas into it so they can put some gas in their empty ICE to make it to a gas station. Why do people keep applying situations to EV's in a way to ignore the fact it happens with ICE vehicles. Look for 90% of most people do they do not drive hundreds of KMs per day. Typically it is between 30-120KM per day. In an EV - when you leave every morning with a full charge you can do that each day. Your home becomes your own personal "filling" station.

- Ability to fill up quickly without planning. I think this is a matter of familiarity. There was a time when you had to do just that when you drove a diesel vehicle - this was in the 80's/90's and even now to some extent. Not all stations carry diesel. Yet people planned when they did trips. I remember Mercedes always gave a booklet when you picked up your diesel wagon, which had all the locations of diesel fuel stations in Canada and USA. Yes you have to plan when doing long distance travel, but really you have to stop to eat anyway. Plan around your lunch and dinner breaks and washroom breaks. Not too hard or cumbersome. It is all what you get used to. We are all human afterall.

- reduced range in winter, in case you did not know, you get reduced range in a gas car as well in the winter. And again it depends how you drive. Also, you can pre-charge your car every morning in the garage - from your phone in your house and not have to worry about exhaust fumes, and a half-hour before you leave the car is warmed up and leave being at/around running temp for the winter and you experience less range loss. Try warming up your gas car in the winter in your closed garage. I would not recommend it for your or your family's health.

- charger insulation; Why is that a problem?????? do you have a dryer in your home? then you have a 220v installed. Is that an inconvenience? I'm not sure why you even brought that up.

- as for plugging in every night? Seriously! do you even understand that? I get the feeling you are just "trolling" for nonsense.

Well, tell you what; keep your ICE vehicle and the toxic fumes it emits out the tailpipe. And continue to pay the high gas prices. Make your choice, but do not state half-truths and infer certain choices as facts when they are not. All the automotive journalists out there are doing enough injustice and miss-direction when it comes to everything EVs; they do not need your help in addition.

Not really. Cell phones do have some limitations (Service area, battery life) but the advantages opened new areas that land lines never had. Like range greater than a cord, portability. All things that made then desirable to the general public.

As they are now electric cars are still a compromise to the average consumer. Now if they become dirt cheap, Can charge in 30 seconds everywhere, have range great than an ICE car. The demand would change overnight. All things I can see happening in the future.

I doubt the energy cost will stay cheaper the gasoline as once the market shifts to electric the infrastructure cost and road taxes will be added to the electricity cost.

Do you even know what you are talking about? Since when can you fill up a gas car in 30 seconds? and why is that necessary? Really, when did ICE cars become dirt cheap? Gasoholics are always stating unrealistic specs/criteria necessary for their conversion. Yet the very ICE vehicles they drive do not do most of what they seem to be calling for.

Why do people always forget the main thing... gas cars emit toxic fumes. Try and remember that. Also, why do people always think that technology will develop in every aspect of life except hydro...!!! Let me be clear; Hydro will improve in leaps and bounds as technology advances around us. Just wait until Fusion is figured out. Just wait for the next generation hydro-electric dams and advanced PV solar arrays and advanced grid technology. Hydro will experience a well placed "jump" in technical advancements in the next 3-5 years. That will render those non-sensical beliefs moot.

Sorry my friend for being so direct, but these statements are being perpetuated over and over again erroneously. Needs to be directly addressed. My opinion anyway.

Cost, Range worries, Ability to fill up quickly without planning on road trips, Reduced range in Winter, Charger installation, Plugging in every night. All things you do not worry about with ICE cars.

I've driven my Tesla for over 4 years and 100k km and your comments make me chuckle. You must know that the same and similar was said about the motor vehicle vs. horse and buggy with cost being number one too? Then where will you get gas? Hay and water were everywhere -- no worries or stress with a horse and buggy! Plus, what happens when the motor breaks down? It doesn't get better by itself like a horse can, and it costs a lot more to fix or replace. So horses are better, right? I guess so if that's all you've used for transport. But once people got a motor vehicle, they understood why it's so far superior to a horse, and once people get a Tesla, they understand why it's so far superior to an ICE and Tesla owners are more satisfied than all ICE owners:

Car Brands Ranked by Owner Satisfaction

But I know there's no convincing certain people that EVs are the future. Some people need to be dragged along into the future -- but when the Economist, a good conservative publication, declares the ICE dead, you know it's dead:

The death of the internal combustion engine

Last edited: