Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I tow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a Model X a couple months back. My spec sheet says that i have the accessory option but not the towing option. I also have the hitch hardware in my frunk.

If I can put a ball hitch on the same accessory receiver, what am I missing to tow something other than "tow mode" in the software?

Thanks in advance!

Contact Service to see if you can have the software installed. Totally depends on the VIN you give them.

They did it for me several years ago. Had to take it in for the rear seat recall and they did it at that time.

Your X will automagically be aware when you are towing something and engage anti sway software and make any other adjustments for the weight you are towing.

Not sure any X actually were delivered with the tiny accessory hitch they designed for bike racks and small trailers. Most got upgraded to the full sized before delivery.If you have a full sized receiver connection (Bosal) you should be good to go.

Reactions: SamDean
Contact Service to see if you can have the software installed. Totally depends on the VIN you give them.

They did it for me several years ago. Had to take it in for the rear seat recall and they did it at that time.

Your X will automagically be aware when you are towing something and engage anti sway software and make any other adjustments for the weight you are towing.

Not sure any X actually were delivered with the tiny accessory hitch they designed for bike racks and small trailers. Most got upgraded to the full sized before delivery.If you have a full sized receiver connection (Bosal) you should be good to go.

That was a huge confusion picking up my Raven Model X because of posts like this. I don't think there is any tow software to be installed.

As soon as you electrically plug in, it will sense a trailer and flip the tow mode switch on and an Icon will appear on your dash show blue trailer.

Now it could be different on older X's. It was an option at one time. But just try plugging a trailer in electrically first. If nothing happens then go to Service Center. Even if there was at one time needed software, prior owner might have had it done. Service Center was confused as heck when I asked them to install the Tow Software. They ended up just putting the tow bar in. And losing my cover in the process. Wish I never asked for anything.

All the software is mostly the same. More work for them to install software. And if it was true I'm sure the SC would have told me it's only for older Model X.

Reactions: SamDean
Since the OP lists a 2016 X on their profile I have to assume it came with the hitch but not the software. From the Tesla website it states Note: Customers with vehicles equipped with a trailer hitch & without Tow Mode enabled can upgrade to the full tow package by contacting their Service Center for information and availability.

I just got my X back from the Tampa service center yesterday, and installing the trailer towing package was one of the items they did.

For $700 and change, I got a 2" receiver in a nice Tesla bag and a small wiring harness. I assume they also installed or activated the trailer mode software. The manual says that if the car detects that lights have been plugged in, or if there is a heavy load detected, the car automatically goes into trailer mode.

Since the OP lists a 2016 X on their profile I have to assume it came with the hitch but not the software. From the Tesla website it states Note: Customers with vehicles equipped with a trailer hitch & without Tow Mode enabled can upgrade to the full tow package by contacting their Service Center for information and availability.
Just spoke to the SC today. They told me that there is no longer a need for separate software upgrades. We all just have it. Once the trailer is plugged in it turns on.

Reactions: Mbrockus