Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I unplug 12 volt battery for a week?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
I'm not going to be driving my car for a week. Is there any issue with leaving the 12 volt disconnected for that long?

Are there any scenarios where bad EEMC^2 would surface after a disconnect that wouldn't necessary show if you were just rebooting? Any difference in unplugging for a few minutes like when changing the 12 volt vs leaving it disconnected for days?

I'm not going to be driving my car for a week. Is there any issue with leaving the 12 volt disconnected for that long?
Do you mean you intend to disconnect the 12V battery from the car or just that the car won't be plugged into any charger for a week? Disconnecting the 12V is not recommended, except when someone is working on a car. If leaving the car not charged for a week or more, ensure that the main battery has a reasonably high state of charge when parked e.g. 80% - 90%. The car will turn on power convertors every so often, to top up the 12V battery from the main battery pack.

Disconnecting the 12V is not recommended, except when someone is working on a car. If leaving the car not charged for a week or more, ensure that the main battery has a reasonably high state of charge when parked e.g. 80% - 90%. The car will turn on power convertors every so often, to top up the 12V battery from the main battery pack.

It will do no such thing with the 12 volt disconnected.

Last edited:
Reactions: user212_nr
First I cant believe you took the cowling out to get to the battery. I'm had o do it last Sunday while broke in NC.
Second, page from manual.

Attachments

• official.JPG
    official.JPG
    585.3 KB · Views: 259