Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I update when parked on a steep hill?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've looked through the forum, but couldn't find any details about if this is safe or not.

I am currently on a trip to San Fransisco and need to park on a very steep hill in front of the airbnb. Parking has been no issue and each morning I wake up expecting to find the vehicle down the hill with a trail of damage behind it (hasn't happened yet :p)

I got a notification that there is an update pending and while normally I would wait until I return home to apply the update, there is one change in particular that might help on our 900+ mile drive home next week.

My question: Is it safe to update the car while parked on a steep hill without a risk of the breaks releasing and the car causing millions of dollars worth of damage as it tears through Potrero Hill?

1670546274167.png

Breaks don’t release, brakes do. To be safe, I would either chock and angle the wheels towards the kerb, or delay the install
Heh. Yeah those. I did di that, but just wanted to make sure.

My driveway have a slight decline and with the numerous updates we get, it never moved. It would be a major problem if your car would move in a middle of an update.

Another recall (OTA) for everyone. 🤣
Ok good, that’s what I was hoping. Just wanted to be sure. Some of these hills are scary.

IMHO, I would not do an update on a road trip, just in case of issues.
Just like my phone, won't update just before or during a trip.

That would be me reason to not update, too. Also, while that new feature definitely applies to road trips, has there been much discussion here of people noticing significant differences? Maybe if there's a portion of your return trip with little charger coverage and you expect to have to drive 55 to reach the next charger with 1% left, then yeah, every little bit helps. But if the drive to SF was smooth sailing and you have nothing to fix then why not wait? I'm assuming the latter is the case: you're in San Francisco, and your forum location says "WA", so you just driving on I-5?

While I sympathize that the San Francisco hills can be scary, it's not like you're the only Tesla there, or even the only Tesla to upgrade while there. Upgrading on hills has been done many times. That's not the reason I would avoid the update.

That would be me reason to not update, too. Also, while that new feature definitely applies to road trips, has there been much discussion here of people noticing significant differences? Maybe if there's a portion of your return trip with little charger coverage and you expect to have to drive 55 to reach the next charger with 1% left, then yeah, every little bit helps. But if the drive to SF was smooth sailing and you have nothing to fix then why not wait? I'm assuming the latter is the case: you're in San Francisco, and your forum location says "WA", so you just driving on I-5?

While I sympathize that the San Francisco hills can be scary, it's not like you're the only Tesla there, or even the only Tesla to upgrade while there. Upgrading on hills has been done many times. That's not the reason I would avoid the update.
That's a good point. We made it here with no issues and considering I'll be doing all the driving on the way back I don't know why I'm need to update now.

Thanks for the insight.

P.S. by law you must curb your wheels when parking on a grade greater than 3%, and the San Francisco recommendation is to curb your wheels whenever the street is steep enough to tell which direction it slopes. They like to give tickets for this. (I learned the recommendation from a traffic court judge.)

And surely you know to long-press the Park button on the stalk to set the parking brake.

Reactions: OxBrew
P.S. by law you must curb your wheels when parking on a grade greater than 3%, and the San Francisco recommendation is to curb your wheels whenever the street is steep enough to tell which direction it slopes. They like to give tickets for this. (I learned the recommendation from a traffic court judge.)

And surely you know to long-press the Park button on the stalk to set the parking brake.
Yeah I curb them for sure. And long press the brake.

I decided not to update.

Reactions: Transformer
Advice about not updating on trip is good, but if you’re worried about upgrading on a hill, apply the parking brake (which most people don’t realise how to do, or that it’s even an option, apologies if you’re aware). Instead of just pressing park briefly, press and hold in the park button and you’ll see an additional brake gets applied.