Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I upgrade my Ap1 car to Full Self Driving ( FSD )?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has there been any chatter regarding the ability to upgrade Ap1 cars to FSD. My understanding is that Tesla will replace hardware on Ap2/2.5 to make them able to be FSD.

I am guessing the biggest challenge with Ap1 cars is running cameras into the B pillars.

• Funny
Reactions: TampaRich
...upgrade Ap1 cars to FSD...

I don't see why not.

It's software and hardware challenges.

The problem is to find someone to do it for you and I doubt that Tesla will take your money to do an upgrade.

Tesla prefers you to do a trade-in instead.

That means you need to pay a Do-It-Yourself expert. The problem is that payment may cost much more than a brand new car!

I don't see why not.

It's software and hardware challenges.

The problem is to find someone to do it for you and I doubt that Tesla will take your money to do an upgrade.

Tesla prefers you to do a trade-in instead.

That means you need to pay a Do-It-Yourself expert. The problem is that payment may cost much more than a brand new car!

I think this is kind of customization that's very dangerous to make. It involves a lot of liabilities and codes. Even FSD becomes approved in a state, they would not certify this kind of cars.

With HW1 (circa 2015), all the talk (from the showroom employees) was a self driving run from NY to LA that was promised to come soon. Sure sounded like FSD to me at the time. OK - maybe the cars have all the compute power and proper sensors. I do feel as if I was over promised/sold.

In 5-6 yrs, there will be vehicle to vehicle or vehicle to intersection communication that just might need new hardware to take full advantage of. Unless hacking is still too much of a threat, in which case just forget V2V communication.

Nearly 4 yrs old, I still don't think the time is right to trade up to a newer model S. Perhaps in a couple of years.

Yes, but nobody has done it yet. Pre-AP to AP1 has been done, and that's much harder. AP2 upgrading will require more cameras and wiring, but you won't need to upgrade the brake booster. I'm sure one of the usual suspects will do it sooner or later now that AP2 offers some features AP1 doesn't have.