Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I use Homelink to replace my garage door FOB?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, my garage door (for my condo building) uses a FOB / tag. It looks like a small EZ pass (about the size of a credit card but about 1/3 inch thick). It's meant to be adhered to the inside of the window, near the rear-view mirror (just like EZ Pass), however the coating on the Model S window prevents it from reading (I have to open the sunroof and hold the tack against the roof). This is fine, but, I was wondering if the Homelink can be programed to mimic the tag signal? Technically, and theoretically, this should be possible. Has anyone any info / success with this?

Thanks!

Mark

I don't believe so. I think the tag you mention is a passive device whereas Homelink is a transmitter used to mimic typical garage door opener RF transmitters. We use passive tags for doors and gates where I work, and my understanding is that they receive some sort of RF signal and resonate back at a certain frequency that the mechanism recognizes. There is no battery or active transmitter in our gate control tags.

Yes, that's exactly how they work. I'm wondering if the response signal can be mimicked by an active device. I'll do some research into the frequencies used as well later this week and report back.

I don't believe so. I think the tag you mention is a passive device whereas Homelink is a transmitter used to mimic typical garage door opener RF transmitters. We use passive tags for doors and gates where I work, and my understanding is that they receive some sort of RF signal and resonate back at a certain frequency that the mechanism recognizes. There is no battery or active transmitter in our gate control tags.