TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can I use Homelink to replace my garage door FOB?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Seegem, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Seegem

Seegem Member

Hi, my garage door (for my condo building) uses a FOB / tag. It looks like a small EZ pass (about the size of a credit card but about 1/3 inch thick). It's meant to be adhered to the inside of the window, near the rear-view mirror (just like EZ Pass), however the coating on the Model S window prevents it from reading (I have to open the sunroof and hold the tack against the roof). This is fine, but, I was wondering if the Homelink can be programed to mimic the tag signal? Technically, and theoretically, this should be possible. Has anyone any info / success with this?

Thanks!

Mark

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I don't believe so. I think the tag you mention is a passive device whereas Homelink is a transmitter used to mimic typical garage door opener RF transmitters. We use passive tags for doors and gates where I work, and my understanding is that they receive some sort of RF signal and resonate back at a certain frequency that the mechanism recognizes. There is no battery or active transmitter in our gate control tags.

3. Seegem

Seegem Member

Yes, that's exactly how they work. I'm wondering if the response signal can be mimicked by an active device. I'll do some research into the frequencies used as well later this week and report back.

4. dtich

dtich #P708

you could try mounting it behind the smoked plastic nose on the front grill....?

5. dychen888

dychen888 Member

They had this issue with certain vehicles when EZ Pass first came out in NYC. The solution was to get a front plate mounted ez pass.

6. Seegem

Seegem Member

Thats precisely what I'm doing with my EZ pass and garage door fob :)

- - - Updated - - -

No front license plate :)

7. PaceyWhitter

PaceyWhitter Member

I assume the fob contains an rfid chip, if so there is no way for homelink to mimic it.

8. MarkR

MarkR Member

Because the windshield of the Model S blocks radio waves, I mounted the EZ Pass to the inside of the nosecone with some velcro tape - worked nicely!