Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I use my laptop in the Model S and use the wifi in the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm taking delivery of my MS in mid June. One of my questions, that I haven't got a straight answer on is if I can use the wifi in the car for my laptop?

I have AT&T service with an iPhone, but I don't currently have any additional service for my laptop. I'm thinking for longer trips, that I would be able to do work in the car, upload/download email, etc.

You can't use the car as a wifi hot spot, but you can use your iphone as one and do the work that you describe. The car as a wifi hotspot was announced as a benefit early on before production began, but has not come to be yet.

You can't use the car as a wifi hot spot, but you can use your iphone as one and do the work that you describe. The car as a wifi hotspot was announced as a benefit early on before production began, but has not come to be yet.

OK, several years ago, I did use my iphone for tethering to my laptop, but AT&T (and/or Apple) has made sure that you can't do that anymore. So, would I need to add on to my AT&T service to do so? Or is there a work-around?

You can (probably) still tether with AT&T, depending on what type of plan you have, but it's not free. If you're on a grandfathered unlimited plan, it's prohibited, but it's an option for all other plans. It's an optional monthly expense for standard plans, or included for "free" with Mobile Share plans.

Technically there is a workaround in that if you jailbreak you can enable tethering on all plans, but you'd be violating AT&T's TOS.

Check under Settings to see if there is a Personal Hotspot option. If you don’t have that, you’ll need to contact AT&T to enable it, although it should be included as a no cost option for your Mobile Share or DataPro 5GB plan.