Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I use my own referral code for Tesla Solar?

silverwolfe08

Aug 8, 2017
melbourne, FL
My solar advisor couldn't answer this question, so here goes: I've already got a referral code from buying a Tesla car. Can I use that referral code (i.e. refer myself) when getting solar? Thanks for any help!

Kuhz

Oct 25, 2017
Mars
I don’t see why not. Other owners have used their own codes when buying another Tesla. But if you can’t, feel free to reach out ;)

boaterva

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 2, 2016
Northern Virginia, USA
Sigh... how does this work in the states where we can’t get referral awards? (VA and OH) And I don’t want to start a conversation about how to bypass those regulations. :D

DriveMe

Aug 12, 2017
NE OH
Sigh... how does this work in the states where we can’t get referral awards? (VA and OH) And I don’t want to start a conversation about how to bypass those regulations. :D

I think we get the same benefits (e.g. extended warranty), just not the referral awards.

Paul8810

Jun 19, 2013
AZ
Can anyone confirm they have received a referral credit for solar? I'm 1 referral away from the 22" inch wheels and just signed up for a Tesla Solar install, but this wasn't mentioned. Thanks!

zanary

Jan 25, 2017
SF Bay Area (East Bay), CA
Can anyone confirm they have received a referral credit for solar? I'm 1 referral away from the 22" inch wheels and just signed up for a Tesla Solar install, but this wasn't mentioned. Thanks!

There are two separate referral programs, and yes you can refer yourself.

I sed my vehicle referral when I purchase my solar, but it counts as a solar referral and not a vehicle referral.

Reactions: Paul8810

MorrisonHiker

Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
We used our own solar referral but it never showed up in the app it online. We just received an email indicating it was time to choose the $750 credit or $400 cash. At least one other person had used our referral code for solar as well but we didn't know about it until we got the same "choose your reward" email.

• Informative
Reactions: Paul8810

zanary

Jan 25, 2017
SF Bay Area (East Bay), CA
We used our own solar referral but it never showed up in the app it online. We just received an email indicating it was time to choose the $750 credit or $400 cash. At least one other person had used our referral code for solar as well but we didn't know about it until we got the same "choose your reward" email.

Yeah, it doesn't appear in the app. I collect about 5 of them for $750 credit each, and then applied them against an Extended 4 year Warranty for the wife's Model X.

MorrisonHiker

Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
Yeah, it doesn't appear in the app. I collect about 5 of them for $750 credit each, and then applied them against an Extended 4 year Warranty for the wife's Model X.
Did you get a referral Powerwall for those as well? It was a lot harder to get solar referrals compared to car referrals. A referral Powerwall would've been well deserved!

r0xx0r

Jul 9, 2016
CA
I think it takes 90 days from when you get permission to operate before you get the referral email.

Also make sure that they used your referral code for the installation.

I ran into a situation that they used someone else code for my installation at the end. So when I called them and asked for the referral. They said I have nothing. I had multiple conversations with them and now they said I have to wait another 6-8 werks to get it.

I was qualified for $750 store credit/$400 check. But now they said I only qualified for $250/$250 because now my submission time is Jan/2019. So will have another fight again.

RamshakleZ

Apr 3, 2016
Houston, TX, USA
Reading the responses above I am still not clear on how this works. I have a Model S and I am about to purchase solar. Can I use my Model S referral code? If yes, do I get the 5 year warranty AND the solar referral credit ($250)?

Kuhz

Oct 25, 2017
Mars
Reading the responses above I am still not clear on how this works. I have a Model S and I am about to purchase solar. Can I use my Model S referral code? If yes, do I get the 5 year warranty AND the solar referral credit ($250)?
Yes

gnumeric

Apr 17, 2018
Bay Area, California
Does the new referral program still work for solar? I only see the 1000mi free supercharging for car referrals. I don't see anything about solar in the current referral program.

With the older referral program, I was able to use my own referral code (I own a Model X) for my solar install and I got both rewards: 5 years extra warranty as the buyer, $400 cash as the referrer. My solar install was completed in Aug 2018. I got the referral reward email to choose $400 cash or $750 credit in November 2018. I just recently got the check for $400 a couple of days ago in April 2019.

Reactions: Maximapolak

MorrisonHiker

Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
I don't think there is a current referral program for solar. The website doesn't mention anything and if you use a referral code, it only shows the 1000 miles of free Supercharging.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC