TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can I use my own referral code for Tesla Solar?

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by silverwolfe08, Apr 28, 2018.

1. silverwolfe08

silverwolfe08 Member

My solar advisor couldn't answer this question, so here goes: I've already got a referral code from buying a Tesla car. Can I use that referral code (i.e. refer myself) when getting solar? Thanks for any help!

2. Kuhz

Kuhz Active Member

I don’t see why not. Other owners have used their own codes when buying another Tesla. But if you can’t, feel free to reach out ;)

3. ww73

ww73 Member

4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Sigh... how does this work in the states where we can’t get referral awards? (VA and OH) And I don’t want to start a conversation about how to bypass those regulations. :D

5. DriveMe

DriveMe Member

I think we get the same benefits (e.g. extended warranty), just not the referral awards.

6. Paul8810

Paul8810 Member

Can anyone confirm they have received a referral credit for solar? I'm 1 referral away from the 22" inch wheels and just signed up for a Tesla Solar install, but this wasn't mentioned. Thanks!

7. kev1n

kev1n Active Member

they are two different programs, the solar one is like $250 per referral

• Like x 1
  8. zanary

zanary Member

There are two separate referral programs, and yes you can refer yourself.

I sed my vehicle referral when I purchase my solar, but it counts as a solar referral and not a vehicle referral.

• Like x 1
  9. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.32.12.2

We used our own solar referral but it never showed up in the app it online. We just received an email indicating it was time to choose the $750 credit or $400 cash. At least one other person had used our referral code for solar as well but we didn't know about it until we got the same "choose your reward" email.

• Informative x 1
  10. zanary

zanary Member

Yeah, it doesn't appear in the app. I collect about 5 of them for $750 credit each, and then applied them against an Extended 4 year Warranty for the wife's Model X.

11. MorrisonHiker

Did you get a referral Powerwall for those as well? It was a lot harder to get solar referrals compared to car referrals. A referral Powerwall would've been well deserved!

12. Babaron

Babaron Member

I used mine. System install in Nov. 2018. But still have heard nothing from Tesla on receiving the award and nothing on the app. Patiently waiting.

13. MorrisonHiker

I think it takes 90 days from when you get permission to operate before you get the referral email.

14. r0xx0r

r0xx0r Member

Also make sure that they used your referral code for the installation.

I ran into a situation that they used someone else code for my installation at the end. So when I called them and asked for the referral. They said I have nothing. I had multiple conversations with them and now they said I have to wait another 6-8 werks to get it.

I was qualified for $750 store credit/$400 check. But now they said I only qualified for $250/$250 because now my submission time is Jan/2019. So will have another fight again.

15. RamshakleZ

RamshakleZ Member

Reading the responses above I am still not clear on how this works. I have a Model S and I am about to purchase solar. Can I use my Model S referral code? If yes, do I get the 5 year warranty AND the solar referral credit ($250)?

16. Kuhz

Kuhz Active Member

Yes

17. gnumeric

gnumeric Member

Does the new referral program still work for solar? I only see the 1000mi free supercharging for car referrals. I don't see anything about solar in the current referral program.

With the older referral program, I was able to use my own referral code (I own a Model X) for my solar install and I got both rewards: 5 years extra warranty as the buyer, $400 cash as the referrer. My solar install was completed in Aug 2018. I got the referral reward email to choose $400 cash or $750 credit in November 2018. I just recently got the check for $400 a couple of days ago in April 2019.

• Like x 1
  18. MorrisonHiker

I don't think there is a current referral program for solar. The website doesn't mention anything and if you use a referral code, it only shows the 1000 miles of free Supercharging.

19. TheTalkingMule

TheTalkingMule Distributed Energy Enthusiast

Down with sales cost!

20. jajabor

jajabor Member

Yes, you can use your own referral code.