Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I use my Tesla Wall Charger to charge a VW ID.4 with an adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a relatively simple question. I have a Model 3 and a Tesla Wall Charger. Can I use my existing setup plus an adapter (at the end) to charge a VW ID.4? I ask because we just put a $100 deposit down on an ID.4 Pro RWD (probably won't arrive until 2023). We could always install a second charger, but if I can dual-use my existing one, why not?

Yes. You will need a CCS1 adapter. And make sure to allow “all vehicles” in the WC settings.
Awesome, thanks! That's one less thing for me to worry about :) Would have kept it an "all Tesla" family, but couldn't justify the cost difference between the base ID.4 Pro RWD and the cheapest Model Y. I'm assuming something like this would work:

Last edited:
I have ordered a Ford MME for my wife and have the same charging situation. I ordered the Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter. They recently came out with a version that is rated for up to 48 amps. Just make sure whichever one you get has a high enough rating to handle the maximum charge your ID4 charges at.

I highly recommend buying it directly from Lectron. Here is their website:

Lectron Electric Vehicle Charging

If you register with them, you get a 5% discount and shipping was free. So including tax and shipping, the total cost was just over $150.

You don't have to worry about it. its to restrict other cars if the charger is outside.

Looks like I have gen 2 wall connector.

I recall Tesla needed my VIN when I ordered the charger from them. And yes, it is installed outside. Wondering if it somehow restricted to just my car and would I need to somehow configure it to connect to any (non-Tesla) cars?

Looks like I have gen 2 wall connector.

I recall Tesla needed my VIN when I ordered the charger from them. And yes, it is installed outside. Wondering if it somehow restricted to just my car and would I need to somehow configure it to connect to any (non-Tesla) cars?

The Gen 2 is not capable of being restricted. That feature is found in the Gen 3 version. So you should be fine.

• Helpful
Reactions: t3sl4drvr
The Gen 2 is not capable of being restricted. That feature is found in the Gen 3 version. So you should be fine.
In Europe (and other markets where Tesla uses the Type-2 connector), Gen 2 was able to be limited to Tesla-only with a DIP switch setting. However, I don't have confirmation that any of the North American ones did that. AFAIK, they look for Tesla comms, then fall back to J1772 signaling.

• Helpful
Reactions: t3sl4drvr