Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I use this adapter to charge my model Y at an RV park?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are in Ontario and going to ON provincial parks a lot, this is probably what you are looking for to get the 30amp charging.

I didn't get it personally because depending on the site and the location of the electronical outlet, the mobile connector could be too short to use.
So I just use the regular 15amp outlet with an outdoor extension cord.

I would use the $90.00 adapter garumaru linked to. It will automatically set the car to 24A @ 120V so you don't pop a breaker.

The TT-30 to 14-50 adapter you linked requires manual intervention in the car to set it to 24A or else you will draw too much current (32A vs the 24A required on a 30A circuit)
Even worse, most TT-30 to 14-50 adapters will be wired for RV use and won't work for EV use. Definitely get the evseadapters one.

Hi, I'm looking to charge my tesla at a 15-30 amp connector at an RV park...with this adapter work? (I already have the 14-50 adapter)

thanks
You just linked to a general search for TT-30 to 14-50 adapters, so it's a big list. And the answer is: "It depends." These can be wired in two different ways. If it's an adapter made by camping equipment places for RVs, then no, it definitely won't work. It won't harm your car, but it will just see 0V on the pins and not do anything. There are some that are marked that they are made for EV charging, and those are wired differently and will work.

If you get one of those, then you must remember to turn the amps down to 24 or less. Or, I would also just recommend getting the really good one from EVSEAdapters, which automatically announce the 24A limit to the car so you don't have to remember to do anything.

Here's another vote for the EVSEAdapters one. I have used mine several times, and I must say that unless you're a very specific type of person (e.g. an Equity stage manager), you are unlikely to remember to set the charge rate when you pull into a campsite at the end of a long day of driving (or hiking!).

Reactions: e645824
Hi, I'm looking to charge my tesla at a 15-30 amp connector at an RV park...with this adapter work? (I already have the 14-50 adapter)

thanks
Are you saying the RV park provides 15 to 30 amp service or are you trying to name a plug? There is a 14-30 plug similar to the 14-50 but less amps. It is 240V so not sure if Canada uses those plugs at RV parks. TT30 is mostly specific to RV parks and is 30A 120V as mentioned above. If you haven’t been to the park, you should definitely confirm the plug type before buying an adapter.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
If you are in Ontario and going to ON provincial parks a lot, this is probably what you are looking for to get the 30amp charging.

I didn't get it personally because depending on the site and the location of the electronical outlet, the mobile connector could be too short to use.
Because of this I carry a 20’ 14-50 extension cord and use a tt-30p->14-50r pigtail. Charges around 3kW. Just used it last week a few times on a camping trip and there was no easy way to get the car close enough. I have to manually set 24A the one time but the pigtale cost $30-40 vs the $100 10-30 rigged to be a tt-30 EVSE makes.

Reactions: doghousePVD
Because of this I carry a 20’ 14-50 extension cord and use a tt-30p->14-50r pigtail. Charges around 3kW. Just used it last week a few times on a camping trip and there was no easy way to get the car close enough. I have to manually set 24A the one time but the pigtale cost $30-40 vs the $100 10-30 rigged to be a tt-30 EVSE makes.
Which pigtail did you get? I've read that some don't work with EVs??

Reactions: shoemakj
A07CD048-CD96-450E-9451-7348328707D8.jpeg

While it may be designed for EVs, it is far from safe since it will allow your car to try to charge at 32A since you will have the 14-50 adapter inserted into the mobile connector. To be used safely, you need a tt-30 to 14-30 adapter. Or add a 14-50 male to 14-30 female adapter to this one.
Do you think it's safe if I use the adapter @MyMYLRnw posted and set the car to charge at 30amps? I'm trying to figure out a good solution to charge at a campsite with a 30amp box using the NEMA Adapter Bundle from Tesla.

Do you think it's safe if I use the adapter @MyMYLRnw posted and set the car to charge at 30amps?
I'm trying to figure out a good solution to charge at a campsite with a 30amp box using the NEMA Adapter Bundle from Tesla.

Since the plug is mentioned to be EV compatible, the internal pins connections must be correct.
- Phase 1 of the TT-30 connected to the Phase 1 of the NEMA 14-50.
- Neutral of the TT-30 connected to the Phase 2 of the NEMA 14-50.

To be safe, you will have to set, inside the Tesla car, the charging Amp to be 24 A.

Since the input voltage will be 120 V, you will get (120 V x 24 A) = 2.88 kW charging speed.

Reactions: chrstna4

Quoting this again. For anyone reading this thread, this is the adapter for TT-30 campsite charging. Why bother with stacking adapters?? It's even on sale now. Get this, never have to manually set your charge rate, and be set.

Do you think it's safe if I use the adapter @MyMYLRnw posted and set the car to charge at 30amps? I'm trying to figure out a good solution to charge at a campsite with a 30amp box using the NEMA Adapter Bundle from Tesla.
Either use one that is direct TT30 like above or stack a 10-30 or 14-30 official Tesla adapter with a tt30 one. The Tesla adapters are $45. The tt30 are $25 on Amazon so $70 total. There’s not much savings but either will work and be 100% safe.