Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can IFTTT be synced to Tesla to start charging automatically when electric prices go below a certain threshold?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here in Chicago, IL, the electric company (ComEd) has an hourly pricing option. Electric prices are typically lower during off peak hours (11pm - 5am), and higher during peak hours, but sometimes prices can be very high during typical off peak hours due to an event or unusually high demand on the grid. During the winter storm that hit nearly the entire country, hourly prices went as high at $2.62 kwh in the middle of the night. Then a couple days later, prices went into negative territory in the middle of the day. ComEd directed me to an applet called IFTTT (If This Then That) that allows me to create a notification when the average hourly price goes above or below a certain threshold.

I leave my car plugged in, and when I get a notification from IFTTT that the ComEd price goes below $0.035 (I set this number), I then go to the Tesla app and tap "Start Charging." I then periodically check the real time pricing on ComEd's website and when it starts to go up again I tap "Stop Charging" on the Tesla app. This requires me to do some monitoring. I'm wondering if there is a way to sync IFTTT with the Tesla app and have it automatically start charging when the low threshold is crossed and conversely automatically stop charging when a high threshold is crossed. All this is possible on the IFTTT applet/app in terms of receiving notifications, but I am required to go to the Tesla app to stop and start charging.

It'd be so cool if the middleman (me) could be cut out and all this could happen on its own. Perhaps there's a 3rd party app/program/applet already out there that would enable this? One thought would be to enable an Alexa skill (Tessie?) that syncs with Tesla for commands and somehow program IFTTT to sync with the Alexa skill and tell it to start and stop charging when thresholds are crossed. Would love to hear if anyone has figured this out and is already doing this. Thanks.

Reactions: APotatoGod and A2be
Sounds like tessie.com might do the trick. Here's the page on IFTTT:

If you follow the Tessie API endpoint link you will see a menu on the left side of the page. Scroll down and find the Charging topic. Go there and you'll see actions such as Start Charging and Stop Charging.

I've no link to tessie.com. Just found it by Goggling.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod and A2be
Upvote 0
Sounds like tessie.com might do the trick. Here's the page on IFTTT:

If you follow the Tessie API endpoint link you will see a menu on the left side of the page. Scroll down and find the Charging topic. Go there and you'll see actions such as Start Charging and Stop Charging.

I've no link to tessie.com. Just found it by Goggling.
Thanks, Ray. Looks like this can be done and you found the spot. I didn't realize that Tessie has a monthly service charge when I mentioned it earlier. I wonder if there's a way to accomplish the IFTTT integration/syncing with the Tesla API without using a third party. Looks like there's currently no other way. but I could be wrong about that.

Upvote 0
Here in Chicago, IL, the electric company (ComEd) has an hourly pricing option. Electric prices are typically lower during off peak hours (11pm - 5am), and higher during peak hours, but sometimes prices can be very high during typical off peak hours due to an event or unusually high demand on the grid. During the winter storm that hit nearly the entire country, hourly prices went as high at $2.62 kwh in the middle of the night. Then a couple days later, prices went into negative territory in the middle of the day. ComEd directed me to an applet called IFTTT (If This Then That) that allows me to create a notification when the average hourly price goes above or below a certain threshold.

I leave my car plugged in, and when I get a notification from IFTTT that the ComEd price goes below $0.035 (I set this number), I then go to the Tesla app and tap "Start Charging." I then periodically check the real time pricing on ComEd's website and when it starts to go up again I tap "Stop Charging" on the Tesla app. This requires me to do some monitoring. I'm wondering if there is a way to sync IFTTT with the Tesla app and have it automatically start charging when the low threshold is crossed and conversely automatically stop charging when a high threshold is crossed. All this is possible on the IFTTT applet/app in terms of receiving notifications, but I am required to go to the Tesla app to stop and start charging.

It'd be so cool if the middleman (me) could be cut out and all this could happen on its own. Perhaps there's a 3rd party app/program/applet already out there that would enable this? One thought would be to enable an Alexa skill (Tessie?) that syncs with Tesla for commands and somehow program IFTTT to sync with the Alexa skill and tell it to start and stop charging when thresholds are crossed. Would love to hear if anyone has figured this out and is already doing this. Thanks.
This is a fascinating question the OP asked a year ago, and it deserves to be bumped.

I just finished some deep research into my Denver, Colorado (Xcel Energy) options for buying cheaper electricity to charge my car, and was beyond underwhelmed. In the main, and in cahoots with the monopoly regulator the Colorado Public Utility Commission, Xcel is trying to keep the vast majority of the surplus from getting EV owners to offload the system and use much lower cost power (by charging at much cheaper times for Xcel to supply the power), while giving peanuts to the EV owner. (Perhaps I should start a thread on that.)

But the IFTTT option the OP suggested might still be better for a Xcel Colorado EV owner using a time-of-use (TOU) rate than the various EV programs on offer where Xcel promises the vehicle owner a mere $50 per year of the rather large benefit to the system.

Upvote 0
If you have a wall connector, it is worth noting that you can add that to your Tesla app. From there, you can set a charging window to correspond to the low rate.
Is this a very recent thing? I have a wall connector and it never had app integration. Or are you thinking of the Powerwall system that has app integration with the wall connector and the batteries, etc?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0