Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can it replace my Jag XF Suprtcharged? the numbers do not add up......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me, high performance means 'smooth'.
The Model S response is instant, the full power is always there and it never has a hesitation or change in response due to being at a gear transition, valves opening, turbo charger gearing up, etc.
I haven't driven a Jag yet, have tried Audi's, Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, etc. they all drove like dogs.
I would recommend test driving an S to see how you like the drive as that seems to be a significant part of why you like what you drive.
If you prefer self contained explosions being used to propel you around, you may not like the S.
If you like the always the, always consistent, always instant, and silent performance of the S, all the other things are details:)

Keep the Jag, get the S as a 2nd car

I'm fascinated with the S85Performance version. I'm in Long Island, currently loving my (second) XF supercharged which in my mind probably inspired the design of the S in many ways....
What would/could deter me from going with the S for my next car?
1) Range: I travel to NJ at least twice a month down the GS Parkway, approx. 110mi each way. Sometimes I return the same evening, otherwise I stay overnight if I need to stay 2 days.
I travel over the GW Bridge twice a month, down Rt 80 west approx 35 miles. total 80 mi. each way.
Neither of these routes have superchargers.
Other than that, my commute is 50 mi. round trip. Total yearly 15,000 mi.
2)Lease: From checking around, I get the impression there are no leases on these cars. I need to go with a lease for business purposes, and I like to get into a new car before
warranty expires.
3) Maintenance: I'm shocked the S needs as much scheduled maintenance compared to other luxury sport sedan like my Jag. In addition, in case of my current 2011 Jag, all maintenance is included (absolutely everything except tires). Even with my previous XF, I actually had to pay for 1 oil change in 3 years. (15,000 mi. oil change schedule, first oil change free). Brake pads were still good after 3 years.
4) TC: The S is $30K+ more than my car out the door. I average 15.5 MPG - (gotta enjoy all those ECU upgraded 540 horses as much as I can). The electric utility cost here is $0.20/KWH. Doing the math, the S will save $2800/year in gas . So, even after 4 years I'm very far from braking even
5) Hurricane Sandy left us without power for 11 days!!. At least I could wait in line for 1-2 hours and get gas . The S would be useless.

What to do?

--> " I average 15.5 MPG - (gotta enjoy all those ECU upgraded 540 horses as much as I can"
That line tells me that you will not get the range to make it NJ and back in one day. Even the 80 mile round trip is cutting it a little close if you like to enjoy your horses - that is to say, drive with a heavy foot.

KEEP THE JAG (or Rent a car for the 2 days a month you travel further than 110 Miles one way.

15.5MPG overall is not bad, still above the EPA city rating of 15. This is Long Island traffic, and I drive about 70% around towns with many stop signs, lights, etc. Also, North shore is very hilly terrain. ( best place to safely open this thing up is going up hill).
I can see having to drive the S in 2 mental modes: short drives, around town, commuting to work & back, etc. Here I can do whatever I bloody like.
Long trips ( over 60-70mi one way), where I put my efficiency hat on.......
One issue I learned here is the vampire drain. The XFs used to have this same problem, since people would not lock the cars in the garage. If you lock it physically , there is no drain. I think this has the potential of a big PR stinker for the S.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, on the highway (long trips) , I normally get 22-24 MPG . My average is low, because of mostly town driving.

I would like to add that the "Super Storm Sandy" concern is a non-issue. Last time we had a hurricane in Houston, power was out in many places for over a week. Power was also out for the gas stations. The gas stations were not pumping gas, so the gas cars had what they had in the tank. A BEV would have what it has in the battery. When the power was restored to the gas stations, that is equivalent to power being restored to other places you could charge a Model S.

My advice to you is to not get the Model S, because you have too many concerns. If another storm approaches, remember to get gas in the tank before it hits.

The Model S would likely offer you less convenience than an ICE considering your 220 mile R/T unless there is easy charger access at your destination, then I would say the Model S is more convenient.

Those of us who have made the move to the Model S did so knowing the limitations of an electric car. Range is really my only concern now.

I was driving a 2008 BMW 335i convertible before my MSP. The difference between the two is stunning. I loved that BMW. I thought I would miss it terribly. I haven't.

Acceleration feels like a ride on a slingshot. I've given a bunch of test rides to friends and all of them walked away giddy and slightly terrified. The Model S is an absolute beast. When I got on board the Model S train, it was way before I had the opportunity to drive one. All of my preconceived notions of an electric car have been destroyed. The experience is so enjoyable. You must test drive a MSP before making up your mind.

Thanks, for your kind reply. That's what I'm trying to do - 'get myself mentally on the MS train'. But, as you said, I need to understand the limitations as they apply to my driving cycles.
I'm sure I'll get hooked after a test drive, being a car guy and being addicted to high power / performance . That's not the issue here.
Another thing is, in reality we have 3 cars in the household anyway - so always an ICE vehicle around if need be. That's another way to look at it....

Also, I think I was a little misunderstood regarding the 220 mi RT.
I know how to drive my Jag efficiently when needed, and always do on the highway/ long trips. As I said before, for that trip to NJ and back, I typically average 22-23 MPG door to door. This is incidentally better than the EPA highway rating of 21 MPG for my car. So, I'm a very smooth operator on the highway. My average speed door to door (inc. start in town, toll plaza, etc.) is usually60-63 MPH, with highway cruise at typical 75-80 MPH
With that being said, you think I could safely make the 220 mi. RT with the MS, with say just 110V basic charging for 4-6 hours at the NJ office???? What if for example I would also 'range charge' it the night before at home??

Last edited:
My average speed door to door (inc. start in town, toll plaza, etc.) is usually60-63 MPH, with highway cruise at typical 75-80 MPH
With that being said, you think I could safely make the 220 mi. RT with the MS, with say just 110V basic charging for 4-6 hours at the NJ office???? What if for example I would also 'range charge' it the night before at home??
Frankly, no, not with highway speeds of 75-80 mph, not in hot or cold weather. The 110v outlet will add perhaps 15-20 miles of range on a good day; on a cold day, you'll get a few miles only (but keep the battery warm).

My experience yesterday: Starting with 221 miles of rated range, I drove 157 miles, mostly highway but at least 20 miles on city streets and secondary roads. Typical highway cruising speed was about 72 mph. Heat was low but comfortable, normal usage. I wasn't trying to be conservative, because I knew I had enough power -- but I wasn't cruising @ 75-80 mph. Occasionally passing at speeds > 80 mph, but only briefly. The bottom line: I used 197 miles of rated range, i.e. 1.255 rated miles per actual mile.

If you start with 265 miles of rated range and add 15 miles while at your meeting, you'll have 280 miles of rated range to drive 220 miles. That's 1.273 rated miles per actual mile. So, if you drove more like I did, cruising at 72 mph, that's possible. There's a big increase in energy required going from 72 to 77 mph, though; you probably need more like 1.35 rated miles per actual mile at that speed.

Now, if you could get a 208v/240v 30A/40A plug installed at your destination, the drive would be easy.

Also, I think I was a little misunderstood regarding the 220 mi RT.
I know how to drive my Jag efficiently when needed, and always do on the highway/ long trips. As I said before, for that trip to NJ and back, I typically average 22-23 MPG door to door. This is incidentally better than the EPA highway rating of 21 MPG for my car. So, I'm a very smooth operator on the highway. My average speed door to door (inc. start in town, toll plaza, etc.) is usually60-63 MPH, with highway cruise at typical 75-80 MPH

I agree with everything Robert.Boston said. Is there any possible way you could install a NEMA 14-50 outlet, a J1772 charger or a Tesla High Powered Wall Connector at your office? If you could, the drive would be a cinch on a standard charge even with 4-6 hours of charging (would add at least 80 miles of EPA rated range). You'd definitely have to range charge but most likely drive 65 miles to make it and it would be close in the winter.

If you'll still have a gas car to take the twice a month for the 220 mile trip then I'd say get the Model S Performance for the other 98% of your driving.