TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

CAN-JR / SR Anti-Theft Lock

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Roadster, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Roadster

Roadster Member

Looking for recommendations on which brand/model luggage lock(s) CAN owners are using on each respective adapter. The CAN-JR looks like a straight pass-through but the CAN-SR appears to rely on the top of the lock loop to be seated in the recessed channel to prevent it from turning so fit seems critical. Thx in advance for your suggestions (and photos)!

2. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

I use a small combination lock, the size of a luggage lock. I prefer a combo lock system for that its one less key to loose or leave behind that will keep you locked out of your own stuff. The key, no pun intended, is that the lock of course fits through the hole for the lock of the can and is able to close while the CAN is in use. I believe I just took mine down to the hardware store and picked one up there so I could test. There was a thread on this some time ago, however the TMC search doesn't pick it up. Don't know if the new TMC search indexes contain 100% of the metadata from the legacy site or not, but I was unable to find it.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. ViviV

ViviV Member

@Roadster In this picture I am using CAN Sr with the Tesla J1772 adapter at a public charger. It is a small Master lock. I have two keys. One I keep safety pinned in the charging cable bag in the trunk and the other key I take with me. I presume a variety of lock types would work as long as they fit in the slot.

upload_2017-7-22_14-11-38.png

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

We do @wiztecy method with combo lock...

Except we bought the lock at Target.

5. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

While we're at it. I carry two pad locks, reason being is that one time I had someone disconnect the J1772 adapter while the car was still charging. I usually don't lock it in case of someone's dying need of a charge, however there are some anti-EV folks who want to play games and EV owners who don't know better. So its good having a 2nd lock in times where you need to ensure the car is charging and don't want to play these games, one for the CAN and one for the J1772 handle.

6. ViviV

ViviV Member

@wiztecy picture please -- how do you lock the J1772 handle?

7. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

All the J1772 handles I've used have a hole below the release button, this is where you place the padlock on after its connected.
    [​IMG]

I'll try to get pics of my combo lock when I get a free moment...

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Rare in my area to find the hole for the J1772 locks... However, I do the same thing when we use our JesLA Charger on the Roadster.

• Helpful x 1
  9. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

I'm pretty sure I bought this padlock at Home Depot. I keep the key on my other keychain with my house keys. It works fine on the Can SR.

image.jpg

• Helpful x 1
  10. Roadster

Roadster Member

Thx all. I'd prefer the @wiztecy/@AEdennis method with the combination locks so I don't have another set of keys but am wary of this hack...

Anyone care to test it out? If it's legit, I may just bring the CANs to a local locksmith and see if I can get a solid fit with a standard padlock like @ViviV and @supersnoop use.

11. ViviV

ViviV Member

@wiztecy Zooming in on a side view photo, I think I see a hole in the button on the J1772 handle. Thank you for pointing it out. I would not have looked for one. However, in this set up below, I presume someone could just pull the J1772 adapter out of the CAN Sr since it is not held in by any lock. In this case, public handle would still be locked onto the adapter, but could be used by a Tesla. Adapter is so hard to pull out of the CAN Sr (at least when new - this was first time I used it) that I think it is probably safe.

upload_2017-7-22_20-23-36.png

• Informative x 1
  12. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#12 wiztecy, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    Note that these small locks are not security devices by any means, key or no key! Never trust any lock and know that *all* locks can be opened. A small bar with leverage pops them every time or carry a small snipper. What they are and what I use them for are deterrents from somebody just walking down the street, disconnecting and taking the thing. And chances are very slim that there is a Roadster owner on the hunt wanting to bust your lock to steal your CAN.

For the CAN SR, not sure by putting a padlock in the assembly would prevent the S charge handle or J1772 accessory from disengaging. The ring needs to be pushed in for the accessory to be removed.... I do remember testing this sometime ago but forget the results, my CANs and S accessories are not close by to re-test.

The CAN JR does indeed lock with no questions. Below is a pic where the J1772 latches on:

CAN 1.JPG

Even the Tesla J1772 to Roadster connector has this latch, however there's no way to lock down the Roadster end. So anyone can take your Roadster offline from the charger but would most likely just leave the whole assembly attached to the J1772 handle if you had it locked with the Roadster end scratched and on the pavement.

J1772_1024x1024.jpg

Attached Files:

13. gregd

gregd Active Member

@ViviV, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what you are doing is using the CAN-SR adapter on the Roadster, and then the Model S/X J1772 adapter into that, and then plugging the J1772 charging cord into the middle adapter. If so, then I believe you're right that the middle adapter is tight but doesn't lock.

The CAN-JR adapter for the Roadster takes a J1772 charging cord directly to the car, and both pieces appear to be able to be locked.

Thanks all, for this thread. I also didn't realize that the J1772 charging cords had a locking hole!

• Informative x 1
  14. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

For what it is worth I have been plugging in for over 9 years now and have racked up over 60,000 gas free miles and have never had a plug or adapter messed with.

• Like x 1
  15. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

A padlock of this type is what I test on each CAN before it goes out the door. It's a standard 1/2 inch padlock made by several manufacturers and sold at almost any hardware store. Most luggage locks work too, but I have only tested a couple of them. Some luggage locks don't work so if you're not buying a standard 1/2" padlock then bring your CAN to the store and test it before you buy it.

• Informative x 1
  16. ViviV

ViviV Member

@gregd your description is correct. This arrangement gives me the most flexibility for charging at home and publicly. Works great!