Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can liftgate adjustment be made specific to a location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The parking garage in the condo where I live has a low ceiling. I had to adjust the liftgate opening height on my Y to keep the gate from crashing into the ceiling. The adjusted opening height is lower than I’d really like to have it generally. Has Tesla developed the height adjustment feature so the preset height is linked to specific locations? I’ve noticed certain features, like automatic locking, can be made to operate or not at the home location.

If they made this location specific, when it inevitably doesnt work sometime because the geolocation is off or something, and then crashes into the ceiling, how many people would say "Oh thats ok I will trade that chance for geo location"?

Said another way, how many people in the above scenario would be looking at tesla to fix their trunk damage for free? Probably "all of them", because their argument would be "I set this up, and the car didnt obey it".

If they made this location specific, when it inevitably doesnt work sometime because the geolocation is off or something, and then crashes into the ceiling, how many people would say "Oh thats ok I will trade that chance for geo location"?

Said another way, how many people in the above scenario would be looking at tesla to fix their trunk damage for free? Probably "all of them", because their argument would be "I set this up, and the car didnt obey it".
I hear you and get you. but still.... head hurts 😂

Uhh...well...DUCK!!!! 😭
Operator error continues...repeatedly. (While moving, emptying an attic, I bloodied my head when I hit a nail protruding through the roof. The NEXT DAY, I hit the exact same nail, reopening the wound. Maybe I should have sued the roofer, 9 years after installation...HAHAHAHA!)

I hear you and get you. but still.... head hurts 😂

I get it, I really do. I have already whacked my head on the liftgate of my wifes Model Y because I lowered it at home for a similar reason (close to garage door when garage door is open).

Im just under 6' 3' so yeah I get it. Tesla might offer location aware for this setting at some point, too. I get that its a good idea, but that doesnt change my opinion on what would happen if they did offer it. File that under "reason XXXXXX why we cant have nice things ". 🤣

True enough. But a lot of the bells and whistles on the car are elective and the election would expose the owner to greater or lesser risk. Owner’s choice, owner’s risk. And Tesla’s lawyers knows how to write assumption I’d the risk language with the best of them.

Anyway, I gather there is no such feature at this point.

How does one suggest improvements to Tesla?

Same risk applies to the current setting. At any moment it could forget the set height and open too high causing damage.

Same risk applies to the current setting. At any moment it could forget the set height and open too high causing damage.

Not the same risk, no. Location aware asks for it to open to various heights based on location. The way it is now, its set once and stays that way. Once is "one thing" failing, the other is "the car GPS is offline etc" not the same at all.

I get it, I really do. I have already whacked my head on the liftgate of my wifes Model Y because I lowered it at home for a similar reason (close to garage door when garage door is open).

Im just under 6' 3' so yeah I get it. Tesla might offer location aware for this setting at some point, too. I get that its a good idea, but that doesnt change my opinion on what would happen if they did offer it. File that under "reason XXXXXX why we cant have nice things ". 🤣
Maybe invest in one of these? :)

• Funny
Reactions: jjrandorin
Will it stop trying to raise the trunk if it encounters resistance? Or just keep trying?

I have the same problem as the OP - once I actually free enough space in my garage, the low garage door overhead means strictly limiting how much it goes up, but it won't be at all ideal elsewhere.

Reactions: Volleyballmom