Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can minor Rim Rash be fixed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model S 75D, with 19" silver slipstreams. I'm a camper, festival-goer, and general outdoor enthusiast... so needless to say, I've had this brand new car in a few off-the-beaten-path locations already. I've sustained a couple of small scratches on the wheels, one of which seems to have gone through the finish on the wheel. Barely noticeable at a glance, but she's definitely scratched (I can see black underneath).

I have the car scheduled to get a LDC-9H clear coating in a few weeks, and this will include the wheels. I would like to have the rim rash fixed up nicely before I get the clear coat applied.

Does anyone have advice for me? Can I have a body shop fix this? Can I fix it myself? Has anyone themselves repaired and re-finished rim rash before, or gotten it repaired by a shop?

So again, while I am the kind of person who uses his car to it's full potential... it is still a brand new car (6K mi) and I would really like these wheels to be tip-top before the LDC gets done.

Thanks in advance all!

I did the mobile fix for minor rash. I doubt anyone notices -- except the Discount Tire guys when I had tires rotated. They couldn't figure out why two rims on passenger side looked very slightly out of round to their trained eyes until I told them.

The better alternative to repair by adding material will probably cost $250-$300 per wheel and I don't think it's worth it since these wheels are so easy to scratch. The good old days of having lots of rubber to touch curbs first doesn't apply to these cars. Luckily, I seldom need to parallel park.

• Love
Reactions: kingleonidas
Why care? I've put 30k+ miles and I PPF'd the full front but I could care less. I took my car all over, through a corn field even (during harrowing hours long escape from Eclipse 2017 traffic). Its a car. It goes fast and it still looks super sexy.

Just drive it like you own it.

Reactions: Bebop
Why care? I've put 30k+ miles and I PPF'd the full front but I could care less. I took my car all over, through a corn field even (during harrowing hours long escape from Eclipse 2017 traffic). Its a car. It goes fast and it still looks super sexy.

Different people enjoy their cars in different ways.

I would not drive ours through a corn field but each of ours cars look like they are new and we prefer to keep it that way as that's how we enjoy car ownership. No right or wrong way here.

I was traveling recently and the hotel valet had scratched my wheel. My wheel was ceramic coated prior to the damage. After contacting my local Service Center for a vendor recommendation, the cost came out to be $250 for the repair (performed by SC) and $200 to have the wheel ceramic coated again (not performed by SC). The Service Center performed complimentary wheel alignment and balancing.

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 213

We are discussing curb rash and you are talking sexy. I suppose you think your significant other would be awesome with a giant oozing boil on the end of his/her pert nose.

We are discussing curb rash and you are talking sexy. I suppose you think your significant other would be awesome with a giant oozing boil on the end of his/her pert nose.

I always will think my wife is awesome. Sickness or health. But I married my wife and we're talking about a car.

Also curb rash isn't at all equivalent to that.

I'm not sure why my comment touched such a nerve. I'm just suggesting putting this in perspective.

21” are more rash prone?? Ugh! Because of tire profile being lower? :( getting arachnid wheels soon and now I donno!

Yes much more likely. the rims just stick out more than on the 19" and are lower to the ground.

If your super careful its less of a problem. The very early version of the car the mirrors did not tilt down in reverse, so the right side was very hard to parallel park. so that was the main source of my curb rash.

The 19" also just last a lot longer. how often do you want to replace tires? both cost and hassle... I'm very glad I switched.

I couldn't agree more. With only 6K miles on it, I've already had the car at two rural music festivals (with people approaching me to say "you have balls bringing that car into this lot!"), three long camping trips, a road trip from Wisconsin to the North Carolina seaside and back, and at least five trips to overnight camp down two-track dirt and gravel dead-end roads in the backwoods of nowhere. The curb/rock rash I have, could and should be much worse.

To answer your question... I don't make 6 figures (just over half that), so spending 80K on a car is an incredible achievement for me... and one that I have been working to accomplish since the day I fell in love with a Tesla roadster parked on the west side of Chicago 11 years ago. Where I come from, that personal investment is not to be taken for granted.

Because I'm going to ceramic coat the wheels, I want them in the best possible condition before that work gets done. I do not naively think that I will never sustain another scratch, ding, dent, rash or whatever... but the car is still brand new, and anything worth doing is worth doing right.

I also have the Xpel Ultimate film on the front and mirrors. Aside from the hilarious fact that insects stick to that stuff like glue... I'm so glad that I had that done. It takes the flying debris like a champ, and looks beautifully glossy and clean all the time.

Attachments

• 20180701_102323.jpg
    20180701_102323.jpg
    618.2 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Reactions: croman
I know Tesla includes alignment check/fix with the service visits, do they also check wheel balance?

If the wheel refurbishment is extensive I think it makes sense to also check wheel balance.

Good point. May vary at each service center but at my local service center they’ll do free rotate and balance upon request.

Thanks both, very helpful. After doing extensive homework about the options near my Chicago service center, as well as various mobile repair services... I was able to connect with Precision Mobile Wheel Repair. Certified and recommended by Tesla, and a better price than anyone else I found. My car is actually going back to Tesla in a few days so they can repair/replace some manufacturing defect parts, so Precision will come to Tesla to take care of the wheel work on site. Lucky me... I'll have a loaner the whole time (fingers crossed for a 3 to rip around)!

Although I doubt that the damage on my wheels is significant enough to warrant it, I will definitely make sure to bring up the balance and alignment.

Really appreciate everyone's valuable feedback here!

I was traveling recently and the hotel valet had scratched my wheel. My wheel was ceramic coated prior to the damage. After contacting my local Service Center for a vendor recommendation, the cost came out to be $250 for the repair (performed by SC) and $200 to have the wheel ceramic coated again (not performed by SC). The Service Center performed complimentary wheel alignment and balancing.

Oof! Too bad Valet Mode doesn't activate the steering actuator in the event of vendor ineptitude... ;)