Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Model 3 charge at 10KW with J1722?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of the third party 40AMP chargers like the Juicebox can charge at 10KW through a J1722 connector. Do any of the model 3's allow this, and if so which ones? From older documentation I know the S can do this,

Long-Range Model 3 charges at up to 48A. (240V x 48A = 11.52kW)
Standard Range (and Mid-Range) charges at up to 32A. (240V x 32A = 7.68kW)

I have a Leviton EVB40 40A EVSE that will charge our Model 3 at 40A x 240V = 9.6kW
Clipper Creek HCS-50 will do the same and is available with a NEMA 14-50 plug.
Clipper Creek HCS-60 will provide the maximum 48A to a Model 3 LR.

The Clippercreek HCS-60 doesn't do anything the Tesla HPWC doesn't do and yet it costs $899.00 instead of only $500 for the Tesla HPWC. What do you get for all the extra money?

Yes, you would need an adapter if you wanted to charge an EV that is not a Tesla but my point is, they are both 48 amp connectors, why is the Clippercreek one so much more expensive?

Tesla -> J1772 adapter is $250. But J1772->Tesla adapter comes with the car. So if one wants to charge a Tesla and a non-Tesla, the solution would cost $750 ($500+$250) with the Tesla Wall Connector, and $900 with a Clipper Creek.

You are right about wondering why it is so much more expensive for the Clipper Creek. I think it is because Tesla isn't really trying to make money with the WC. I think it is Tesla's way of lowering the barrier to Tesla ownership.

So I can use a Tesla EVSE to charge my Volt? That's great news for when I get my Model 3. I'll be able to charge both vehicles off the Tesla EVSE.

Yes, you will need one of these to plug into your Volt:

https://www.amazon.com/TeslaTap-AMP...ords=teslatap&qid=1563373574&s=gateway&sr=8-1

You can also get a lower amperage one for $10 less but I would probably go for this 50 amp adapter or spend $60 more and get an 80 amp one which might be useful on non-Tesla EV's of the future. Most current EV's with J1772 ports can't make use of the extra current the Tesla HPWC is capable of putting out.

So I can use a Tesla EVSE to charge my Volt? That's great news for when I get my Model 3. I'll be able to charge both vehicles off the Tesla EVSE.

Yes, but you need an adapter, which as @notAnExpert points out, costs $250. It's unclear what hardware you already have or what you might want to buy for the Tesla. I see several possibilities:
  • You're currently charging your Volt on a 120v outlet, but want something faster for the Tesla
    • Buy a Level 2 J1772 EVSE -- You can then use the J1772 adapter that comes with the Tesla to charge it with the new EVSE, and charge the Volt with the new Level 2 EVSE, too. (If desired, you could buy a second J1772 adapter to keep one with the EVSE and one with your Tesla. This will cost an extra $95.)
    • Buy a Tesla Wall Connector -- This will charge the Tesla at a faster rate, but not the Volt -- at least, not by itself. You can buy the third-party $250 adapter to enable it to charge your Volt, too, if you want.
    • Install a NEMA 14-50 or NEMA 6-50 outlet -- You can then use the Tesla's portable EVSE to charge the Tesla and either continue charging the Volt on a 120v outlet or buy the $250 adapter to let the Volt charge off the Tesla's portable EVSE.
  • You already have a Level 2 J1772 EVSE for your Volt
    • Charge the Tesla via your existing J1772 EVSE -- You'll need to either use the J1772 adapter that comes with the Tesla or buy a spare to keep one with the EVSE and one with the car. This solution is likely to work fine if your EVSE is fast enough to meet your needs, but that depends on your driving habits and the capabilities of your existing EVSE. The Chevy Volt maxes out at 16A for Level 2 charging, which is 1/2 the maximum of an SR/SR+ Model 3, and 1/3 the maximum of an LR Model 3. Thus, if you bought a cheap 16A EVSE for the Volt, it might be a little slow for a Model 3 if you drive a lot -- but if you don't drive a lot, even a 16A Level 2 EVSE should be fine. (A 16A EVSE will regenerate about 15 miles per hour of charging.)
    • If your J1772 EVSE is a 16A model, you can upgrade it to a 32A or faster J1772 EVSE -- You can then charge the Volt directly and the Model 3 via Tesla's J1772 adapter. Upgrading the EVSE is likely to require replacing the wiring and circuit breaker, though; you'll essentially be paying for a second EVSE installation. It might be better to keep the current J1772 EVSE for the Volt and install a second one for the Tesla.
    • Buy a Tesla Wall Connector to either replace or supplement your current J1772 EVSE -- This is much like the preceding option, but you'll be getting an EVSE with a Tesla connector, not a J1772 connector. If you replace your current EVSE, you'll need the $250 3rd-party adapter to charge your Volt from the Tesla Wall Connector, thus increasing your overall cost.
    • Add a NEMA 14-50 or NEMA 16-50 outlet -- As with the case with current 120v charging of your Volt, you can add a 240v outlet for use with the Tesla EVSE that comes with the car. You'd then use Tesla's portable EVSE for the Tesla and keep using your J1772 EVSE for the Volt.

What you should do depends on what you have now in terms of EVSEs, what your driving habits are, how much free space you have in your breaker box, how close you are to maxing out your current electrical supply input, etc. If you need more advice, I suggest you start a new thread and provide more details about your current situation and needs.

FWIW, I replaced a Chevy Volt with a Tesla Model 3. I bought a 32A Clipper Creek J1772 EVSE for the Volt; I knew I'd eventually replace the Volt with a pure EV, so I future-proofed my EVSE purchase. When I bought my Model 3, I also bought a second J1772 adapter, so I could keep one with the car and one permanently attached to the EVSE. This combination works fine with my Model 3. (I've got a long-range variant, but I don't feel a need for 48A charging.)

I had a CC HCS-50P installed when we built our house, I figured a CC would allow me to charge BOTH a Tesla and our Volt. But based on this post I was going to sell it and use the EVSE that will come with my Model 3.

But now I'm just going to keep it and use the Tesla J1722 adapter to charge the Tesla. The UMC will sit in the trunk should I need it on road trips. That now makes more sense logistically and financially.

I had a CC HCS-50P installed when we built our house, I figured a CC would allow me to charge BOTH a Tesla and our Volt. But based on this post I was going to sell it and use the EVSE that will come with my Model 3.

But now I'm just going to keep it and use the Tesla J1722 adapter to charge the Tesla. The UMC will sit in the trunk should I need it on road trips. That now makes more sense logistically and financially.

That is what I'd do in your shoes. Your HCS-50 will plug into the Model 3 via the J-1772 adapter that all Model 3s come with. You can then charge the Model 3 (LR, not SR) at 40 amps, vs 32 amps with the UMC.

I didn't note the brand / model of the EVSE, but the Co-Op and Garden store on E. Washington St. in Sequim, WA has a J1772 that charged my M3 LR at its full rated capacity of 48 amps at 244 V. This on July 10 2019. 48 x 244 = 11.7 KW. That's about as good as it gets for L2 charging a Model 3. And, it was free! The Co-Op is an interesting store to wander around in, btw.

I didn't note the brand / model of the EVSE, but the Co-Op and Garden store on E. Washington St. in Sequim, WA has a J1772 that charged my M3 LR at its full rated capacity of 48 amps at 244 V. This on July 10 2019. 48 x 244 = 11.7 KW. That's about as good as it gets for L2 charging a Model 3. And, it was free! The Co-Op is an interesting store to wander around in, btw.

If you can find a Tesla destination charger that’s hooked up to 277 volts, you’ll see your true max just north of 12 kW. The charger will turn the amps down 45 or 46 as it will be limited by total power output.

Keeping the Clipper Creek sounds like the best solution. You seriously future-proofed with an EVSE capable of delivering 40A when you bought a Volt, so even with a long-range Model 3, you'll be getting close to the car's 48A charging limit. (The HCS-40P is a unit with a NEMA 14-50 plug, so if that's what you're using, you wouldn't get better speed out of a Tesla Wall Connector equipped with a 14-50 plug.) My own HCS-40, which delivers "just" 32A, works fine with my Model 3. Once on a road trip, I used an industrial Clipper Creek unit that delivered 48A with no problems. Thus, I think you'll be fine with the EVSE you already own. If you keep your Volt, you'll need to either deal with an adapter for one car or have two EVSEs, so it'd be equal hassle to keep the current CC EVSE vs. replace it with Tesla's, and it's cheaper to keep what you've got.