Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Model 3 delivery acceptance be continually "pushed" to gain access to updated (2021) build?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fully appreciate the sentiment that "the best Model 3 is the one you can buy now". That said, I live in northern Wisconsin and a heat pump coming out would create an unacceptable amount of buyers remorse for me.

I read in the fine print at the final screen to reserve a Model 3 that:

"If you are picking up your Vehicle in a state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle, we will notify you of when we expect your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your Vehicle within three (3) days of this date. If you do not respond to our notification or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your Vehicle may be made available for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within six (6) months of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee."

This would seem to imply to me that, while I may lose my place in queue, that I can push back delivery (thus giving myself the ability to reset my VIN to an updated model 3 (say in Q1 2021) for up to 6 months. The benefits of this strategy would seem to be that if the rumored updates come sooner than expected, I'm already in the queue / have locked in a price. If they come later than expected, I can continually (up to 6 months) reset my VIN.

Any thoughts on this strategy? Again, I need a car NOW (I would rent in the meantime) but the thought of not having the heat pump / other updates is simply unbearable to me (given my residence in one of the coldest places in the country!)

Thanks!

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
@armyofone54 I'm in a similar situation. Although I don't need the heat pump, I'd like to have it installed in addition to some other updates I hear are coming to the Model 3. I placed my order earlier this month but have my VIN assignment status on hold until 10/1. Am hoping that maybe for Q4 we will see some of this implemented. I hate the waiting... :(

Yes, you can simply not take delivery of a vehicle and continually push your date back up to six months without losing your $100 deposit. It’s anyone’s guess if and when a new heat pump will be arriving on the Model 3, so you will have to decide if an indefinite wait is worth it to you.

I fully appreciate the sentiment that "the best Model 3 is the one you can buy now". That said, I live in northern Wisconsin and a heat pump coming out would create an unacceptable amount of buyers remorse for me.

"If you are picking up your Vehicle in a state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle, we will notify you of when we expect your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your Vehicle within three (3) days of this date. If you do not respond to our notification or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your Vehicle may be made available for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within six (6) months of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee."

This would seem to imply to me that, while I may lose my place in queue, that I can push back delivery (thus giving myself the ability to reset my VIN to an updated model 3 (say in Q1 2021) for up to 6 months. The benefits of this strategy would seem to be that if the rumored updates come sooner than expected, I'm already in the queue / have locked in a price. If they come later than expected, I can continually (up to 6 months) reset my VIN.

Any thoughts on this strategy? Again, I need a car NOW (I would rent in the meantime) but the thought of not having the heat pump / other updates is simply unbearable to me (given my residence in one of the coldest places in the country!)

Thanks!

If you dont have any particular need to take delivery, instead of making tesla assign you cars you keep declining, it would be better to contact them and say "Please put me on a list to not deliver my car before XX/XX/XXXX date". Note, that date doesnt mean you would get a car on that date, that date would be the date they put you back in the queue to be delivered.

Just tell them you are not able to accept delivery before january 1 of 2021 or some other date between now and 6 months from now, and they will put you on a list to not start matching you to a vehicle until that date.

Saves them time not wasting time matching someone to a car who wont take it, and still keeps your order in their queue, not losing your $100.

They wont mind that, but they likely WILL mind if they keep matching you to a vehicle and you keep giving bogus excuses to cancel vehicle after vehicle.

@OCR1 It's so frustrating not know. Do you know when they typically start production of the 2021?

Tesla does not time the release of new features to the change in model year like other traditional manufacturers. Any changes that have taken place to the Model 3 so far have been on random dates whenever the factory is ready to make the change.

I would just let Tesla know that you are concerned about the design of the current heat pump and would like to postpone delivery until such time as Tesla changes the heat pump to something comparable to the Model Y. At least then they know what they are dealing with as it relates to your order.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Tesla does not time the release of new features to the change in model year like other traditional manufacturers. Any changes that have taken place to the Model 3 so far have been on random dates whenever the factory is ready to make the change.

I would just let Tesla know that you are concerned about the design of the current heat pump and would like to postpone delivery until such time as Tesla changes the heat pump to something comparable to the Model Y. At least then they know what they are dealing with as it relates to your order.

When I placed my order in early September, I had them put a hold until 10/1 (tomorrow) - but the more time passes the more impatient I get. LOL

My understanding is that Tesla typically begins rolling out new versions of the vehicle and doesn't announce the changes until after the fact. This would allow them to avoid the issue of people holding off on orders, because they know a new version is starting production on a specific date.

I've heard the same rumors about a heat pump, maybe even new lithium iron phosphate batteries from China, acoustic dampened windows, and other items that would make it more attractive.

The best suggestion I might have is to watch photos of new deliveries. If the items we've heard rumored begin to show up, then you can expect an official announcement soon after.

I'm not sure if there is a thread or category in this forum with new delivery photos and people who inspect their cars for the heat pump, but that's what I would look for. If someone else knows, could you please share the link to this?

Why not just put in the order when the car has the heat pump?

You gain absolutely nothing by putting an order in now. Your car will be delivered in the third month of the quarter, no matter when you make the deposit. So that means a December delivery (4th QTR), March delivery (1st QTR), June delivery (2cd QTR) or September (3rd QTR). That is the way it works.

If it were me, I would wait until the heat pump had been out for at least a year - to make sure that any issues are fixed. Manufacturers always make inline improvements as failures are reported. And there will be many. That is the nature of all new designs. Don't be an early buyer...

Why not just put in the order when the car has the heat pump?

You gain absolutely nothing by putting an order in now. Your car will be delivered in the third month of the quarter, no matter when you make the deposit. So that means a December delivery (4th QTR), March delivery (1st QTR), June delivery (2cd QTR) or September (3rd QTR). That is the way it works.

If it were me, I would wait until the heat pump had been out for at least a year - to make sure that any issues are fixed. Manufacturers always make inline improvements as failures are reported. And there will be many. That is the nature of all new designs. Don't be an early buyer...
They still have quite a bit of inventory from what I can see that would match my order, so not sure the deliver would actually be during the quarter ends from what I've been able to see online.

Thanks!

I ordered mine in February, told them when I was looking to receive it, and had them put it on hold. I just released the hold last week to assign a vin number. Had no problems from Tesla holding it that long. Would think this would be best route for you instead of keep turning down vehicles.

Pushing a subscription back for an unannounced feature is, appropriately, ludicrous

"appropriately ludicrous"...whatever that means? I guess it sounds good in your head. Waiting to buy a product until it has a feature that you not only value but absolutely require is not ludicrous. The model 3 order process makes this a bit more complicated because you could conceivably get in "queue" while the feature is unannounced and, by the time the feature is announced, be closer to the front of the queue. If it hasn't been announced, you can move to the back of the line again. In either case, it's better than waiting for the announcement. At least that's the theory I was seeking input on. If any of that is confusing to you, please feel free to DM me.

Reactions: ItsMeCarlos
The model 3 order process makes this a bit more complicated because you could conceivably get in "queue" while the feature is unannounced and, by the time the feature is announced, be closer to the front of the queue.

The queue is flushed out every quarter.

So if a new feature is announced (and it will be to drive sales), you can simply place your order right then. By the endof the quarter, your car will be delivered.

For example, I put my order in on July 11, the car arrived at the service center on Sept 12. Others put their order in late August. They also got their car in Sept.

You gain nothing by placing an order now for a car model that doesn't exist.

a feature that you not only value but absolutely require is not ludicrous.

I’m not sure why you think it’s “required”... the heat pump has a cutoff at 14F. In other words - below that, it’s not pumping heat at all. The car will use other measures (waste motor energy etc) to generate heat.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but especially since you’re in WI... might want to temper expectations a bit. Heat pumps are great and work well in many situations ... but not all. Given the extremity of what you’re up against, I wouldn’t expect miracles ... that’s all. At the extreme ends, you may not see much - if any - advantage due to the heat pump.

If you need a car now, then get a car now is my opinion... (which is worth what you paid for it ... nada!). Model 3 is fantastic in its current form!

Reactions: pjensen
I’m not sure why you think it’s “required”... the heat pump has a cutoff at 14F. In other words - below that, it’s not pumping heat at all. The car will use other measures (waste motor energy etc) to generate heat.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but especially since you’re in WI... might want to temper expectations a bit. Heat pumps are great and work well in many situations ... but not all. Given the extremity of what you’re up against, I wouldn’t expect miracles ... that’s all. At the extreme ends, you may not see much - if any - advantage due to the heat pump.

If you need a car now, then get a car now is my opinion... (which is worth what you paid for it ... nada!). Model 3 is fantastic in its current form!

If the OP thinks they "Not only value, but absolutely require" some feature of the car, then the car should not be ordered at all until it is CONFIRMED to come with said desired feature. It would be a colossal mistake to try to "time" it, because EVEN IF tesla announces a heat pump for model 3, if this is a feature that someone "not only values but absolutely requires" (in this OPs words), there is no guarantee that a car that is delivered right after the announcement or anytime shortly after would have said feature.

OP would want to wait at least a month after cars are CONFIRMED to be DELIVERED with said feature, then order. Anyone around here for any length of time remembers the "All cars after XXX date have the full self driving (HW 3.0) computer" situation, where people who didnt order FSD thought they would wait to get that hardware anyway (even though they didnt need it unless they had FSD), and many cars built after the announcement still had the HW 2.0.

Since a Heat pump for OP is a feature that "is not only valued but absolutely required", OP should cancel their order and wait until the car is delivered to people with that feature. Anything else is just wasting someones time having to track an order for a person who is not going to take delivery.

Just adding to this...

I installed a heat pump in my office/warehouse three years ago. It works great when the temperature is above freezing (32F). It puts out a lot of heat. But as the temperature drops, the amount of heat drops. When it gets below 25 degrees, it really can not provide adequate heat. We don't go into the office on those (few) cold days.

The reason is the coil temperature has to be much less than outside air temperature. But the outside coils routinely frost over - the humidity condenses on the fins and then freezes. So the heat pump reverses, taking heat out of the room to heat the fins (to melt the ice). This takes 5 minutes or more. On a cold day, 25 dF, this happens every 20 to 30 minutes - depending on the dew point of the outside air.

Check your dew point temperature on a cold day. You can get this from a nearby airport. If the heat pump fins get below this temperature, it will freeze over. Some systems use resistive elements in the fins to heat the fins up, but that takes a lot of power. That is ok in a house or office, but not in a battery operated car.

A heat pump in a car is not going to work well at all - below freezing.

Anyone that wants this feature might want to wait and see how (poorly) it works first.

• Informative
Reactions: HeartSong
Just adding to this...

I installed a heat pump in my office/warehouse three years ago. It works great when the temperature is above freezing (32F). It puts out a lot of heat. But as the temperature drops, the amount of heat drops. When it gets below 25 degrees, it really can not provide adequate heat. We don't go into the office on those (few) cold days.

The reason is the coil temperature has to be much less than outside air temperature. But the outside coils routinely frost over - the humidity condenses on the fins and then freezes. So the heat pump reverses, taking heat out of the room to heat the fins (to melt the ice). This takes 5 minutes or more. On a cold day, 25 dF, this happens every 20 to 30 minutes - depending on the dew point of the outside air.

Check your dew point temperature on a cold day. You can get this from a nearby airport. If the heat pump fins get below this temperature, it will freeze over. Some systems use resistive elements in the fins to heat the fins up, but that takes a lot of power. That is ok in a house or office, but not in a battery operated car.

A heat pump in a car is not going to work well at all - below freezing.

Anyone that wants this feature might want to wait and see how (poorly) it works first.
It will still be better than the previous system, because there’s a temperature window where you reduce the battery consumption. Below that point, they still have the backup heating method through electric motors like the Model 3 already has. In terms of design, it shouldn’t be a negative.

It will still be better than the previous system, because there’s a temperature window where you reduce the battery consumption. Below that point, they still have the backup heating method through electric motors like the Model 3 already has. In terms of design, it shouldn’t be a negative.

This temperature window (where a heat pump is efficient) is between 40 dF and 70 dF. Below 40 dF air temperature, the fins will frost over and the car battery will be powering both the a/c compressor and resistive heating elements. This is a net negative.

So if you live in a warm climate with above freezing winters, the heat pump will be a net positive (in battery power consumption).

If you live in Minnesota or Wisconsin (or any place with a long, subfreezing winter), it will be a net negative.

So it depends on where you live, if the heat pump (and it complexity) is worth it.