TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can Model 3 with EAP could auto stop while reversing?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ZooSean, Apr 28, 2018.

1. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

I did not see any video on that, so asking.

2. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

It depends on what you mean by auto stop in reverse.

The only automation you can use in reverse is summon and you can summon your car backwards into your garage or other space and it will stop automatically at a specific distance from the wall or other obstacle.

We didn't get EAP on the Model 3, so I don't know if it has all of the same summon options as the Model X, but I've let summon back my X into the garage.

3. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

I mean auto stop while about to hit something

4. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

Then no. The only features of EAP that can reverse the car are summon and self-park and they will stop for an obstacle it detects, which is not everything. For instance, pylons can go undetected by summon and be hit.

Autosteer and TACC don't function in reverse.

Automatic Emergency Braking isn't part of EAP, but it also has nothing to do with reverse. That and it only engages at certain speeds and isn't designed to avoid a collision, just mitigate the impact by reducing speed.

If you're backing up and about to hit something, the ultrasonics are likely going to be screaming at you to stop, but the car will happily keep moving into an obstacle if you ignore the warnings.