Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Model S P85D Ludicrous upgrade to the 100 kWh packs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can/could it be done? Sure, but Tesla won't be in any hurry to offer this based on past practices. Tesla has indicated that this type of upgrade is technically possible but it appears they would rather you just buy a whole new car instead. Kind of like upgrading your smart phone every 2 years right? Except 150x more costly.

Interestingly, my Ludicrous upgrade receipt clearly states that I received a "P90D Ludicrous upgrade." I have been curious since if that's a data entry error, an oversight, or if they only made 1 kind of upgrade (which would make the most sense). ow I have to also be curious if it matters in my ability to upgrade to a P100D.
Not that I'm sure I'm ready to spend another $20K on this car.

Interestingly, my Ludicrous upgrade receipt clearly states that I received a "P90D Ludicrous upgrade." I have been curious since if that's a data entry error, an oversight, or if they only made 1 kind of upgrade (which would make the most sense). ow I have to also be curious if it matters in my ability to upgrade to a P100D.
Not that I'm sure I'm ready to spend another $20K on this car.
Forgot to add that I have a March 2015 P85D with a L upgrade

Hmmm.... So within a year they will be able to and most likely sooner. That will make things interesting. I would struggle with rationalizing 200K+ taxes for a new P100D. But for 30K-ish I can likely make one.

I am not sure they will ever do an upgrade for the P85D. They mentioned increased weight needing new seat anchor design. I have a feeling by the time all of the P90 upgrades are done, they will want to be out of that upgrade business and on to how to support all the model 3s

I received information from the local service center that the upgrade from a P85DL to a P100DL is possible, but costs 50600 euros (yes - fifty thousand six hundred euros, so over 55000 USD)!!! You first have to upgrade to a P90DL for 27500 euros and after that the cost to upgrade to a P100DL is 23100 euros.

So the official EU price to upgrade a P90DL to a P100DL is 23100 euros (+/- something depending on local VAT).