Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can More be Done For the Kids?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
still doesn't cover ACTUALLY PHYSICALLY REMOVING THE KID FROM THE MF'ING CAR.

Stop asking for the government and Tesla to run your lives. What happens if someday, one of them really DOES decide to step in and take over what you can't handle?\

(also, I love that the very title of your linked PDF shows that it wasn't about the kids...... unless you named your child vehicle theft prevention)
I was just pointing out that you were wrong about the scope of NHTSA regulations.
I'm not sure why you're so upset. You can still drive an older car with zero safety equipment if you choose to do so.
But yes I think eventually we will not be allowed to drive cars on public roads.

I was just pointing out that you were wrong about the scope of NHTSA regulations.
I'm not sure why you're so upset. You can still drive an older car with zero safety equipment if you choose to do so.
But yes I think eventually we will not be allowed to drive cars on public roads.

I'm upset at people not taking personal responsibility for mundane parenting tasks.

What about instead of using the camera if they used the weight sensor? I've seen videos where it can detect that a backseat passenger doesn't have their seat belt buckled, so it must have weight sensors back there. Maybe if it detects that there is more then a few lbs of weight on one of the back seats it can turn on the A/C and immediately send you an alert on your phone.

It's weird that you'd buy a car with so many active safety features if they upset you so much.
In the real world people make mistakes.

safety features in a car don't make me upset. there's a cutoff though.

Tesla built an amazing car that will get me and my family safely from point a to point b, but at some point, when the car is in Park, I have to be an adult and take over everything else that comes with being a parent, including taking the kid out of the car.

Is Tesla also going to be obligated to ding if you left something in the trunk? God forbid the milk spoil.

How did we as a species even make it this far?

I am pleased that Elon jumped on the dog mode issue fix and made the feature more safe for our furry friends, garnering some positive press for the company in the process.

Yeah, except for when it doesn't work (google for examples).
Also, AC on or off, leaving your dog in the car will score you a court date for animal abuse/cruelty charges in many states.
Your defense of "but Tesla's dog mode kinda works most of the time, same as AP", will likely you earn you a heavy fine and a misdemeanor conviction. Have fun with that !

Could Tesla show the same technical leadership on baby excess heat deaths?

No, nor should it.
(a). It wont work reliably enough, ever.
(b). Parents are responsible for their kids, not the society at large, not the automakers, not the schools.
(c). Darwin.

a

Reactions: LN1_Casey
safety features in a car don't make me upset. there's a cutoff though.

Tesla built an amazing car that will get me and my family safely from point a to point b, but at some point, when the car is in Park, I have to be an adult and take over everything else that comes with being a parent, including taking the kid out of the car.

Is Tesla also going to be obligated to ding if you left something in the trunk? God forbid the milk spoil.

How did we as a species even make it this far?
So people are allowed to make mistakes only while driving a car but not when the car is in park?
OPs proposed feature doesn't sound like it would have any downside.

An active safety feature like a seat belt, ABS, airbags, etc are one thing.....

but the NHTSA isn't going to get into the job of keeping things safe inside the vehicle when it's not in operation. That's why there's no car alarm regulation.

Why does someone else always have to do everything? Whatever happened to personal responsibility? The government and car manufacturers are some of the LAST people on Earth you should be depending on to keep your kid safe when the car is not in motion.

If you can't function without a a car beeping at you, to, you know...check on the human life you created's current physical whereabouts and well-being, you maybe should not be spending money on a Tesla anyway, you should be in Parenting classes with that money, before your negligence kills someone.
Nobody said this needs to be a legal requirement. We have dash cams, sentry mode, none of those are required. Tesla is very focused on safety and this is one that could be done with little cost (as it would be adding on to other uses for the camera) and would prevent relatively rare, but high profile and tragic accidents.

This has nothing to do with personal responsibility. These are freak accidents that can happen to people from all backgrounds. People like to pile on and claim that these accidents are caused by "bad parents" but the reality is that just isn't true. It's human nature to comfort ourselves to say that this is some special group, that we are better than that. Not accurate though.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...e3-a3a5-42be35962a52_story.html?noredirect=on

Why are you offended by this idea? Are you also mad that the passenger airbag will not engage if the person sitting there is too light?

No, nor should it.
(a). It wont work reliably enough, ever.
(b). Parents are responsible for their kids, not the society at large, not the automakers, not the schools.
(c). Darwin.

a
Are you confused as to what this would do? There wouldn't be "kid mode". It would be an emergency backup. Also "That infant died, oh well, LOL DARWIN amirite?"

How about not leaving kids in cars in the first place? When will people start being responsible, use common sense and stop relying on technology to safe their inability to think? This request is totally crazy and it should not be part of the car at all because it would encourage people leaving their kids in the car.
Soon people will be requesting things like: remind me to feed my child etc.
No, simply no. People need to take responsibility and use common sense and THINK too!
Or are we really at the stage where 'dumbing' population is actually a desired thing? I hope not.

We all know that every seat in the car has a weight sensor in it to detect occupancy. The seat belt alerts often get triggered in my car when I have the dogs back there. Does anyone know the capabilities of the weight sensors in the seats? Are they only designed to detect an object or occupant above a certain weight or are they able to get a rough estimate on how much weight there is in the seat at the time? If it's able to distinguish weight differences in say 5 pound increments then they could program an alert for the rear seat that you designate as having a child seat installed in. For example, install child seat in the back of the car and go through some setup/calibration process so that the car learns how much the child car seat weighs with no child in it. If you walk away from the car and it locks itself and it detects that the designated child seat in the back has more weight in it than just the child seat itself then that would trip the car alarm to alert the parent that there is still a child in the car.

How about not leaving kids in cars in the first place? When will people start being responsible, use common sense and stop relying on technology to safe their inability to think? This request is totally crazy and it should not be part of the car at all because it would encourage people leaving their kids in the car.
No, simply no. People need to take responsibility and use common sense and THINK too!
Or are we really at the stage where 'dumbing' population is actually a desired thing? I hope not.
I really don't understand this argument. Right now people can intentionally leave their kids in the car by using dog mode and we haven't seen an epidemic of people leaving their kids in Teslas. OP's suggestion is a feature to save lives when people accidentally leave their kids in the car.

We all know that every seat in the car has a weight sensor in it to detect occupancy. The seat belt alerts often get triggered in my car when I have the dogs back there. Does anyone know the capabilities of the weight sensors in the seats? Are they only designed to detect an object or occupant above a certain weight or are they able to get a rough estimate on how much weight there is in the seat at the time? If it's able to distinguish weight differences in say 5 pound increments then they could program an alert for the rear seat that you designate as having a child seat installed in. For example, install child seat in the back of the car and go through some setup/calibration process so that the car learns how much the child car seat weighs with no child in it. If you walk away from the car and it locks itself and it detects that the designated child seat in the back has more weight in it than just the child seat itself then that would trip the car alarm to alert the parent that there is still a child in the car.

or have the vehicle alert we're in PARK and a seatbelt is still locked. (child seats require the belt to lock em in) - so it's not complicated. but agree too much nanny will have authorities asking for your papers soon. (but we are very close already)

I fail to see how this would encourage parents to leave their kids in the car. I agree, it seems insane to me that someone would forget their kid in the car. However I am not a parent yet so I can't talk from experience. I'd like to think I would never ever forget my child in the car but I've seen enough stories about this problem to realize it can happen to even very attentive parents. Even if additional safety features only saved one life it would be worth it. The irresponsible thing would be to do nothing further to prevent these tragedies.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Tesla come up with a "kid mode" that takes care of your kids in the car like dog mode.. (At least I hope not)

The idea would be to use the already existing sensors to have a reminder to take your kids with you when you leave the car. Or maybe give you an alert 30 seconds after you leave the car if there is still weight in the back seat. This would only really be annoying for people who constantly ride around with crap in the back seats.

How you could be against such a feature is beyond me.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Tesla come up with a "kid mode" that takes care of your kids in the car like dog mode.. (At least I hope not)

The idea would be to use the already existing sensors to have a reminder to take your kids with you when you leave the car. Or maybe give you an alert 30 seconds after you leave the car if there is still weight in the back seat. This would only really be annoying for people who constantly ride around with crap in the back seats.

How you could be against such a feature is beyond me.

Exactly. And they could offer an option to disable it if you do have something in the back seat. Or maybe just an option on the alert that says "It's nothing, stop bothering me" to dismiss it permanently for that one time.

Reactions: SSonnentag
The more people rely on technology the less they use their logic and common sense. Our parents didn't have all these gadgets and I dare to say that they are way more practical and versatile than the current generation that we are bringing up. Technology should sure make our live easier but it shouldn't strip us from intelligence, common sense, logic etc.
I think that leaving a kid ALONE in the car should be common sense that its a no no and as it stands, illegal in many states. What kind of parent leaves a kid alone in a car and walks off? Regardless, I propose a feature that would have require you to do a simple puzzle before you are allowed to drive just to make sure you are not dumbing down :D :D :D

You get the idea. I'm from Europe so I don't really understand the constant spoonfeeding people in NA often demand. (not all of course)
Sorry guys :)

I fail to see how this would encourage parents to leave their kids in the car. I agree, it seems insane to me that someone would forget their kid in the car. However I am not a parent yet so I can't talk from experience. I'd like to think I would never ever forget my child in the car but I've seen enough stories about this problem to realize it can happen to even very attentive parents. Even if additional safety features only saved one life it would be worth it. The irresponsible thing would be to do nothing further to prevent these tragedies.

Nobody said this needs to be a legal requirement. We have dash cams, sentry mode, none of those are required. Tesla is very focused on safety and this is one that could be done with little cost (as it would be adding on to other uses for the camera) and would prevent relatively rare, but high profile and tragic accidents.

This has nothing to do with personal responsibility. These are freak accidents that can happen to people from all backgrounds. People like to pile on and claim that these accidents are caused by "bad parents" but the reality is that just isn't true. It's human nature to comfort ourselves to say that this is some special group, that we are better than that. Not accurate though.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...e3-a3a5-42be35962a52_story.html?noredirect=on

Why are you offended by this idea? Are you also mad that the passenger airbag will not engage if the person sitting there is too light?

Are you confused as to what this would do? There wouldn't be "kid mode". It would be an emergency backup. Also "That infant died, oh well, LOL DARWIN amirite?"

Because I know some of our fellow Tesla owners.

How many have accepted the Autopilot disclaimers? The big one when you very first activate it in the car, then the one EVERY time your activate it.....

And yet, they still try to sue Tesla.

We are a terribly irresponsible litigious society with zero personal responsibility.

I mean, what could go wrong, amirite?

The more people rely on technology the less they use their logic and common sense. Our parents didn't have all these gadgets and I dare to say that they are way more practical and versatile than the current generation that we are bringing up. Technology should sure make our live easier but it shouldn't strip us from intelligence, common sense, logic etc.
I think that leaving a kid ALONE in the car should be common sense that its a no no and as it stands, illegal in many states. What kind of parent leaves a kid alone in a car and walks off? Regardless, I propose a feature that would have require you to do a simple puzzle before you are allowed to drive just to make sure you are not dumbing down :D :D :D

You get the idea. I'm from Europe so I don't really understand the constant spoonfeeding people in NA often demand. (not all of course)
Sorry guys :)
I'm sure this has never happened in Europe.
https://www.childsafetyeurope.org/publications/info/factsheets/children-in-cars.pdf

Reactions: PoitNarf