Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can my battery pack be damaged by low SOC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bull

Chatting is great, just don't shoot the Bull.
Supporting Member
Oct 25, 2020
Tucson, AZ
I didn't charge before a lot of driving and arrived home just as my car hit 0 miles range. I got a notice to charge immediately to avoid damaging the battery so I started charging right away.

Can this actually cause permanent damage to the battery pack?

Sounds like your car is doing everything right. Permanent damage from one low SOC is probably not going to happen. Do it a lot? Well, that's just not good for any battery. So don't do it. Lots of threads on this. Just noticed you have a new Plaid! Nice!

At first I was thinking it might just help the BMS do a better job finding the top and bottom of the charge range. I have been seeing my range drop faster than expected with normal driving and was thinking there might be some calibration or balance issues. I wasn't too worried about it until I saw the alert mentioning damage just as I pulled into my garage.

I came from a pre-refresh 2021 LR+ which was very consistent with actual mileage per charge. The Plaid not so much. I do have to take some of the blame because it's really hard not to have a lead foot in the Plaid. :D

Yes. Extremes of SOC cause stress on batteries.
I'll charge it to 90% overnight and see what the range is. I have charged it to 100% a couple times before trips and it only gets to around 330-338 miles which is already a problem. Hopefully it does not get worse. It did not shut down by the way.

I'll charge it to 90% overnight and see what the range is. I have charged it to 100% a couple times before trips and it only gets to around 330-338 miles which is already a problem. Hopefully it does not get worse. It did not shut down by the way.
I wish my Plaid charged to 330-338! Currently only charges to 295 and gives me actual range of around 210-220. But you know that story…

Barring a miracle, expecting a new HV battery in 3…2…

Reactions: jebinc
I wish my Plaid charged to 330-338! Currently only charges to 295 and gives me actual range of around 210-220. But you know that story…

Barring a miracle, expecting a new HV battery in 3…2…
Yeah. Yours is the worst story I have heard about the Refresh Ss (Esses?). I do feel for you and hope you get a new battery pack so you can trust it. Too much screwy stuff happening with it. Fingers crossed that you will be fully enjoying your Plaid very soon.

• Love
Reactions: jebinc and WilliamG
Yeah. Yours is the worst story I have heard about the Refresh Ss (Esses?). I do feel for you and hope you get a new battery pack so you can trust it. Too much screwy stuff happening with it. Fingers crossed that you will be fully enjoying your Plaid very soon.
Cheers, appreciate the well-wishing in my very first-world problems. Hopefully I’ll hear something more on Tuesday when the tech is back in the office.

Reactions: jebinc