Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can no longer buy metal pedals for non-perf cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is one hell of a business plan. Make parts, but not make them available for sale. Pretty stupid for a company that has yet to post a profit.

100% agree. I also don't see how it's legal what they are doing. I'm sure if someone had a good lawyer and sued Tesla they'd probably win and force Tesla to start selling parts to places and ppl other than non-certified shops. It's just a matter of time until someone with enough time and money presses them via legal route to open up. I think it'd be to the benefit of all of us to be able to get parts for repair.

Why not buy the P85 badge as well, as I'm sure that also has a part number...

I actually know of a S owner who did exactly that.Tesla had no problem selling him the "P".

- - - Updated - - -

Will Tesla sell me Signature Red paint? I want that.

An approved body shop will. I actually mentioned how much I liked Sig Red once at my Service Center and they told me that the Tesla certified body shop can access that paint and would do it for me if I wanted.

An approved body shop will. I actually mentioned how much I liked Sig Red once at my Service Center and they told me that the Tesla certified body shop can access that paint and would do it for me if I wanted.

Ok, well if we're talking seriously, here, I don't think the body shops actually buy paint from Tesla. They mix it based on the color code and adjust it based on visual comparison.

Good! I'm tired of you non-Performance people trying to look like Performance people, but without the cost. I paid a major premium for those pedals and would see my car significantly devalued if sold to every non-P owner. Why not buy the P85 badge as well, as I'm sure that also has a part number... There is a reason Performance owners paid a premium for those things, to be unique. Now you want to muzzle in on our uniqueness? I don't think so!

... and for those without a sense of humor, this is a joke.

I realize this is a joke. But anyone who has this attitude should look at what happens with BMW and M vehicles. I see vehicles that are driving around with M badging all the time that are clearly not real M vehicles. I get a chuckle everytime I see one of these. I don't think people putting upscale parts on their standard speced vehicle hurts any of the real P vehicles.

At the same time I don't really see different pedals as that unique to P vehicles (even though Tesla only puts them on P vehicles). If Tesla won't sell them someone else will. In my opinion it's just a nice aesthetic upgrade that someone can make. The only person that really sees the pedals on a regular basis is the driver anyway.

I realize this is a joke. But anyone who has this attitude should look at what happens with BMW and M vehicles. I see vehicles that are driving around with M badging all the time that are clearly not real M vehicles. I get a chuckle everytime I see one of these. I don't think people putting upscale parts on their standard speced vehicle hurts any of the real P vehicles.
Of course, the only reason you know this is because the real M vehicles have other visual clues that allow you to separate the true Ms from the imposters. With the Model S, that badge on the trunk is literally the most reliable external differentiator. The sheet metal and trimmings are all identical across the model line. Now you can see red calipers and make a good guess, but if they're grey there's no other clues. The wheels, spoiler, and so on could all be had on the lesser models on at least one point in the run.

In any case, Tesla not offering parts is an issue. They're likely to get slapped for it eventually, especially given the tight control of out-of-warranty and salvage vehicles, but probably not anytime soon.

The only person that really sees the pedals on a regular basis is the driver anyway.

And this is what makes this particular restriction just plain silly. Back when I placed my order, Carbon fiber interior was exclusive to Perfs, but now is available to anyone. And the same folks decide to play the exclusive/restrictive game with metal pedals? Spare me. They'll probably not sell grey wheel center caps to me, next. Obvious workaround is to befriend a local P owner, and order through them.

Ok, well if we're talking seriously, here, I don't think the body shops actually buy paint from Tesla. They mix it based on the color code and adjust it based on visual comparison.

Fair enough, but I was actually surprised that a Tesla SC told me I could have my car painted Sig Red if I wanted to. I guess I had assumed they would impose some sort of restriction on the color. A company I once worked for had some sort of copyright on the green color they used in their logo, or so I was led to believe.

All Sig S cars have the metal pedals, even my non-Performance Sig. I have an S85D reservation, so I won't be able to get the new seats, or the metal pedals, both of which I'd prefer. OTOH, I get a choice of interior colors, better range and don't have to deal with 21" wheels/tires. Since I'm not a performance driver, saving $20K+ is also nice.

All that aside, Tesla is being inconsistent and that's irksome.

All Sig S cars have the metal pedals, even my non-Performance Sig. All that aside, Tesla is being inconsistent and that's irksome.
Yes, seems like a losing battle, particularly once salvaged cars start getting parted out. On the other hand, suppose you had modified the design of the pedals somewhere along the line--then you wouldn't want to sell a part that might not funtion correctly.