Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can no longer charge at home with Tesla Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I bought a Tesla Wall Charger in 2018 and had it installed, and it charged my Model S just fine until a month ago. After that, I got a popup on the dash that read, "Charging equipment communication lost (check power source and charging equipment):"

1661108772060.jpeg

I was referred to Tesla Energy for help with this problem. So far they've had me take photos of the sides of the plug prongs and charge port, but no solution as of yet. Has anyone else encountered this problem? What it sounds like to me is that the car got an OTA update and now when I try to charge at home, it is looking for a wall connector with WiFi, but the trouble is, my wall connector is not a Gen3 and therefore doesn't have WiFi. I think there's nothing wrong with the wall connector -- I think there's a few lines of software in the car that need to be modified. Thankfully, I can charge at a Supercharger just fine near my house, but I'd sure like to charge at home again!

What it sounds like to me is that the car got an OTA update and now when I try to charge at home, it is looking for a wall connector with WiFi, but the trouble is, my wall connector is not a Gen3 and therefore doesn't have WiFi.

I really doubt that is actually the issue, because all sorts of us still have gen 2 wall connectors, and charge just fine (I have 2 of them in fact, and they still charge fine).

Thankfully, I can charge at a Supercharger just fine near my house

The fact that supercharging still works is not actually relevant to whether the issue is with your charge port on your car, or the wall connector itself. You need to try another level 2 charger (either your mobile adapter at some other location, a friends wall connector / mobile adapter, or even a public level 2 (Not supercharger) charger somewhere else.

Until you do that, you wont know if the issue is your wall connector, or the charger in the car.

This is what the lights on the Wall Connector look like after plugging in the charge cable. The green light starts to go down vertically, then stops:

1662416402750.png

Then the popup on the dash comes up:

1662416575900.png

Then there is a "clunk" sound, and the charge port turns red:

1662416693658.png

Also, there is a 4 year warranty on the Wall Connector. If you are still having difficulty charging, please call Tesla Home Charging Support team at 877-961-7652 and select the option for wall connector. The team is available M-F 8 AM to 5 PM PST. They don't do emails very well. The response to my email was to call, where they generally solve the problem with you on the phone, including shipping a replacement.

Can you charge using a different Level 2 charger. If you can then it's your charger. If it does not charge using a different Level 2 charger then it might be your master charger. I had the same issue and it turned out to be the master charger in the car.

Can you charge using a different Level 2 charger. If you can then it's your charger. If it does not charge using a different Level 2 charger then it might be your master charger. I had the same issue and it turned out to be the master charger in the car.

I agree. But, the OP also says:
What it sounds like to me is that the car got an OTA update and now when I try to charge at home, it is looking for a wall connector with WiFi, but the trouble is, my wall connector is not a Gen3 and therefore doesn't have WiFi.

Not sure what makes him think it might be due to his car OTA update, but the post below actually refers to an incomplete OTA update causing a similar issue.

Hi. I bought a Tesla Wall Charger in 2018 and had it installed, and it charged my Model S just fine until a month ago. After that, I got a popup on the dash that read, "Charging equipment communication lost (check power source and charging equipment):"

View attachment 843384

I was referred to Tesla Energy for help with this problem. So far they've had me take photos of the sides of the plug prongs and charge port, but no solution as of yet. Has anyone else encountered this problem? What it sounds like to me is that the car got an OTA update and now when I try to charge at home, it is looking for a wall connector with WiFi, but the trouble is, my wall connector is not a Gen3 and therefore doesn't have WiFi. I think there's nothing wrong with the wall connector -- I think there's a few lines of software in the car that need to be modified. Thankfully, I can charge at a Supercharger just fine near my house, but I'd sure like to charge at home again!

I hope your charger problem has been sorted out. I drive a 2017 model S running the current firmware release 2022.20.8, charging on a gen 2 wall connector. It works just fine. I have helped several friends with their Tesla problems. I have seen one wall connector misbehave and ultimately traced the problem to a faulty connection to the circuit breaker in the main panel. The original connection was not first rate, but it had worked. After sometime the poor electrical connection got progressively worse and then the car would not charge and was complaining. I cut off an inch or so of the #6 wires that ran from the circuit breaker to the wall connector and made a new solid connection and torqued down the screws on the circuit breaker. Problem solved. The old wire was discolored from heat and both screws were loose At the circuit breaker. Tesla doesn’t deal with house wiring. They were no help in finding the problem. I hope this helps. Good Luck

Had the same issue a while back. AC Charging was busted (Level 1 and Level 2) but Supercharging, which is DC, worked just fine. A fuse in the onboard Charger had failed and needed to be replaced. I had to DIY the repair since Tesla replaces the entire charger vs just the fuses.