Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Non-California residents pick their car up in Fremont?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a simple question. I live in Chicago Il USA.

Can non-California residents pick their car up in Fremont when the time comes?

Will it save any money to pick it up?

These are the details of my trip if I did.

Fremont California
Mojave Supercharger
Primm Supercharger
St. George Supercharger
Beaver Supercharger
Green River Supercharger
Grand Junction Supercharger
Silverthorne Supercharger
Limon Supercharger
Goodland Supercharger
Hays Supercharger
Salina Supercharger
Topeka Supercharger
Columbia Supercharger
Springfield Illinois Supercharger
Normal Supercharger
Country Club Hills Supercharger
Chicago

Route Direct
Route Thru Superchargers
plus.png

Distance 2,258.6 miles
Driving Time 33:53
Charging Time 11:13
Total Trip Time 45:05
Total Energy Used 745.9 kWh
2,486 RM
Average Efficiency 330 Wh/mile
Net Elevation Change 295 feet

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: Owner
Not sure if by "Frezno" you mean the California city of "Fresno" (where there is a Supercharger but not a Service Center or anyplace to take delivery of a new Tesla) or you mean "Fremont" where the Tesla factory is located and where you could take delivery of your new car.

My suggestion would be to contact Tesla and ask them your question.

Not sure if by "Frezno" you mean the California city of "Fresno" (where there is a Supercharger but not a Service Center or anyplace to take delivery of a new Tesla) or you mean "Fremont" where the Tesla factory is located and where you could take delivery of your new car.

My suggestion would be to contact Tesla and ask them your question.
That is what I meant. Fremont. I can't seem to change the thread title.

Great info. California charges tax no matter what?

There is at least one other thread/post/something covering this, I think. I also called my sales guy and he told me the same thing. I've been trying to find the post and if I do I will provide link. I was even trying to cut delivery time by flying to Chicago, where I used to live, but paperwork and taxes also killed that idea. In the end, I suffered the long (though not as long as the early adopters)wait in Ohio.

Seems like the delivery fee can't be waived, but I would be happy to go to the factory if they could and wouldn't charge me California sales tax. I can't think of a better way to really enjoy autopilot than a cross country road trip as soon as I get the car with the supercharger and destination charging networks.

Seems like the delivery fee can't be waived, but I would be happy to go to the factory if they could and wouldn't charge me California sales tax. I can't think of a better way to really enjoy autopilot than a cross country road trip as soon as I get the car with the supercharger and destination charging networks.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Maybe we can get a caravan going from California headed east.

Reactions: linkster
Just a simple question. I live in Chicago Il USA.

Can non-California residents pick their car up in Fremont when the time comes?

Will it save any money to pick it up?

By the time you get your M3, it may be possible to pick up at the factory without paying CA sales tax. There is a bill somewhere in the legislative process to allow out-of-state buyers to take delivery tax-free in CA.

But it would not save you any money because Tesla charges the same destination fee at the factory as at any other US delivery location.

The only advantage would be a factory tour and a nice long road trip home, albeit with many more SuperCharger stops than your itinerary proposes. Figure on 150 miles tops between superchargers.