Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Non-California residents pick their car up in Fremont?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They might as well....since Teslas and aircraft takeoff speed is similar.

Answer: Aircraft and Vehicle purchases are synonymous as far as registration is concerned.
Let me ask you this NikeWings.... you wouldn't save any money picking your car up in Nevada since you are a California resident .....would you?

Yes, I would save money but I'd need to register it in NV, else CA would hit me full throttle when I brought the car into CA.
No escaping anything here.

I live in Hawaii. I bought a used Tacoma from a Toyota dealer in WA ( a few years ago). They waived the sales tax because I was not a WA resident. How did I prove that I was not a WA resident? I provided two recent Utility bills from Hawaii for their review. That's all it took to satisfy their concern.

While CA collects sales tax even on non-residents, most states will waive the sales tax when you provide proof you are not a resident. They know you are going to have to pay it when you go to register the car for tags.

Before Tesla Honolulu had their dealer license, we owners had to navigate the tax payment and registration process individually. We mapped the process for those coming after us. The car arrived, we collected Bill of Lading, Title, Safety Inspection and went to Dept of Taxation and paid our excise tax, then with that receipt we could proceed to DMV for the registration. As an owner, we had to show we have paid the excise tax before DMV would allow us to register the car.