Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can one avoid the transportation charges if they pick up car at other locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is yes. What can't be avoided is the INITIAL transportation fee from the factory (I believe even if you live close to the factory in California, you are still paying).

My personal experience was buying my X in Vancouver. It was in Toronto. I specifically asked this question and they didn't respond before the vehicle ended up in Vancouver. Because they didn't respond and I asked if I could pick it up before it arrived, they offered to refund me $1000 for their lack of communication. I took the refund and never looked back (would have cost me more to go get it).

This would apply to inventory vehicles only as you will be paying a transportation fee on a factory order.

Best bet is to go into the service center and have someone commit to you and make the arrangements right there if you are seriously considering this.

• Informative
Reactions: vrykolas
Dear All

if i find an inventory car for example in Dallas and i fly there to pick up the car. Can one avoid the transportation charges of $2000 if you personal take delivery in Dallas

Thanks
You would still have to pay the $1200 doc & delivery fees but would not have to pay the $2000 fee to move the car to your location.

if i find an inventory car for example in Dallas and i fly there to pick up the car. Can one avoid the transportation charges of $2000 if you personal take delivery in Dallas
Yes, we did this with some friends— made a fun trip out of it.
And as mentioned above— you still need to pay the $1,200 doc & delivery fees. Just not the additional transportation fee— which is dependent on how many regions away it is. (It’s $1,000 per region distance away). I’m not sure how many regions Dallas is from St. Louis.

Just consider what you would do if you have any issues at pick-up. Also, if you want to wrap (after market paint or rock protection) the car or anything before driving it back home as any delays may add nights/hotel costs assuming you don’t have the car to camp it. ;-)

Last edited:
So if a Floridian flew to the California service center on a 99¢ Spirit Airline ticket, which state license plates would Tesla put on the car? Which states sales tax..which states safety checks? Where would the car be registered? Eligible for state specific rebates?

I have bought many cars outta state and the state that I am in (Texas) is where it's always registered.

Don't know why it would be any different in this situation. I do know however that Tesla won't let you do that. They want the car shipped.

Reactions: Quick2Judge
I did the exact trip, picked my car up in Dallas and did a road trip home to California. They did not charge the 2000 transportation fee. If you are doing it just to save the 2000, I would first check if Tesla would waive the 2000 fee even if they have to transport the car, I have seen them do it for inventory cars recently. In our case we wanted to.do the road trip.

Yes they gave me a temporary CA registration sticker to drive off and I paid CA sales tax, so Texas was not involved in any way. I don't qualify for the CA rebate because they now restrict it based on income, but I would have been able to get it if I had qualified. As far as CA is concerned it's a new car registered in California.

• Informative
Reactions: Quick2Judge
Dear All

Thanks

You can for sure pick the car up and avoid the transport fee. The one state where you dont want to pick up and then drive to another state is CA. You will have to pay tax in CA as well as your own state. CA always needs to get something.

I just picked up my Model S 90D in California and drove it back to Nebraska. Here is exactly what you can / can't do:

• You can have them move the car WITHIN a state and still avoid the $2000 delivery charge if you pick it up at a service center / delivery location
  • Once you move it outside the state you pay the delivery charge (typically $2000)
  • If you pick up in California, you WILL pay California sales tax for wherever you pick it up at. You will NOT have to pay sales tax in your state when you register it as long as your state / city sales tax is not greater than the CA tax you already paid. If it is greater where you register you will pay the difference between what is already collected and what your state charges
  • If you pay a higher tax in CA than your local tax would have been, you will not be able to be refunded the overpayment (CA keeps it)

I highly enjoyed the 1500 mile drive back. If you want to see the blog of our trip its here: https://journi.app.link/tzu4tAK7qG

Nick

Yes they gave me a temporary CA registration sticker to drive off and I paid CA sales tax, so Texas was not involved in any way. I don't qualify for the CA rebate because they now restrict it based on income, but I would have been able to get it if I had qualified. As far as CA is concerned it's a new car registered in California.
So i live in los angeles, and my inventory car is in Houston which i was supposed to pick up on Sat (9/30/2017) and drive back to LA, but i got a call this morning from my DS, that since i am picking from Houston i have to pay double taxes (in Texas and California), so as a work around he will get the car shipped to me for free to los angeles, the only downside is i still have to start my lease on 9/30/2017 but will get my car by 10/22/2017(over 3 weeks).

Sach32 who was your DS that arranged this for you, can you please call me at 646-552-4117

Sent you a pm

So i live in los angeles, and my inventory car is in Houston which i was supposed to pick up on Sat (9/30/2017) and drive back to LA, but i got a call this morning from my DS, that since i am picking from Houston i have to pay double taxes (in Texas and California), so as a work around he will get the car shipped to me for free to los angeles, the only downside is i still have to start my lease on 9/30/2017 but will get my car by 10/22/2017(over 3 weeks).

Sach32 who was your DS that arranged this for you, can you please call me at 646-552-4117