Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can One *Prevent* Auto-Connect to Tesla Service Center WiFi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@SSedan:

Folks are getting pretty tired of the handful of offensive and ridiculous "get your eyes checked" responses to the new user interface concerns.

While the new, even smaller, font size for the "gears" (DPRN, etc.) is a concern for some on both the S/X instrument cluster and the larger touchscreens, that's not the primary complaint people are posting about.

For example, putting the most important piece of driver information -- THE SPEEDOMETER - on a row right next to a number of similarly-sized indicators of less important information is BAD and getting torched by posters. As anyone who designs information displays (or who knows the basic science) will tell you, the new layout forces the eye and mind to delay for a fraction of a second to pick out the information from a row of similarly sized indicators. And yeah, actually making it smaller *is* bad, too.

The point is that Tesla has buried the speedometer in a row of other "visual noise" , forcing the eye to work for an extra fraction of a second to pick it out each time. They also left-justified it in the row instead of having it larger and centered as before.

I'd guess that 95% of the time, people are looking over to see how fast they are going. That's why Tesla originally had the speedometer the way they had it: large, prominent, centered, and by itself on a row at the top of that left-hand info window.

That's also why physical speedometers on traditional cars are always large, centered, and prominently separated from many other smaller dials and displays. It's also why critical information like airspeed in an aircraft cockpit isn't buried along a row of dials that display which bathroom lights are on or some other less-important data.

And by the way, on the topic of font size, jut because people *can* read the fonts doesn't mean it's a good idea to shrink them and make the eye and mind have to concentrate ever so slightly more just to read them properly. That alone actually WOULD be a valid complaint to make.

Stop posting offensive responses to real-world safety concerns that people have with the update, dude
I understand that you are new here but this level of whining is what happens EVERY SINGLE TIME a UI update happens. It seems that around 20% of owners lose their collective mind over the most trivial aspects. I know that you a passionate about the speedo being moved an inch and a half to the left by the multi-paragraph dissertation you wrote, but really, it does not actually matter and it does not make the car work "less gooder" than it did before.

No they're not. Doesn't your DMV check your eye-sight before issuing you a driver's license?

@SSedan:
Folks are getting pretty tired of the handful of offensive and ridiculous "get your eyes checked" responses to the new user interface concerns.

Which car were you driving before the Tesla?

I'd bet that the "physical" speedometer had smaller text than on your Tesla. It wasn't a driving hazard then so the larger text on Tesla's UI isn't a hazard now. If you seriously can't read anything on the display then you shouldn't be driving, period.

I think Tesla UI philosophy can be boiled-down to: Keep your eyes on the road.

@SSedan:
While the new, even smaller, font size for the "gears" (DPRN, etc.) is a concern for some on both the S/X instrument cluster and the larger touchscreens, that's not the primary complaint people are posting about.

For example, putting the most important piece of driver information -- THE SPEEDOMETER - on a row right next to a number of similarly-sized indicators of less important information is BAD and getting torched by posters. As anyone who designs information displays (or who knows the basic science) will tell you, the new layout forces the eye and mind to delay for a fraction of a second to pick out the information from a row of similarly sized indicators. And yeah, actually making it smaller *is* bad, too.

The point is that Tesla has buried the speedometer in a row of other "visual noise" , forcing the eye to work for an extra fraction of a second to pick it out each time. They also left-justified it in the row instead of having it larger and centered as before.

I'd guess that 95% of the time, people are looking over to see how fast they are going. That's why Tesla originally had the speedometer the way they had it: large, prominent, centered, and by itself on a row at the top of that left-hand info window.

That's also why physical speedometers on traditional cars are always large, centered, and prominently separated from many other smaller dials and displays. It's also why critical information like airspeed in an aircraft cockpit isn't buried along a row of dials that display which bathroom lights are on or some other less-important data.

And by the way, on the topic of font size, jut because people *can* read the fonts doesn't mean it's a good idea to shrink them and make the eye and mind have to concentrate ever so slightly more just to read them properly. That alone actually WOULD be a valid complaint to make.

Stop.the.whining.

@SSedan:
Stop posting offensive responses to real-world safety concerns that people have with the update, dude

True, but most of the traditional ("analog", even in digital form) speedometers have significantly smaller digits compared to the new Tesla UI (at least on the M3, I can't speak for the S/X). And they are not necessarily prominent, in many cases the tach is the same size as the speedometer.

I asked before if you had actually tried out the new UI layout .. have you? My feeling is its not an improvement on the old layout, but neither is it the world-shattering disaster some here seem to think. And no, I'm not in my 20's, and no my eyesight isnt that great.

Is that actually verified? I've seen conflicting reports and assertions about whether Tesla can push a software update through cellular connections only. It appears early on, prior to a certain build in 2019 or something, they could use LTE if needed, but the vehicles all now say "WiFi is required" and many are interpreting this as also meaning Tesla can't do it either.

Do you have a source? Not saying you're wrong for sure, just that I'm seeing conflicting reports.
My 2021 model Y got its first update over cellular. I didn’t have WiFi set up in my garage yet, nor connected to my home WiFi and the update came over just fine, so only vector would be via cellular for the update.

Seems like an unenforceable clause, as you suggest is a possibility. If, for example, drivers feel the update makes the vehicle display unclear or unsafe in some way, etc. I smell all kinds of class action lawsuit possibilities here.

Unsafe? They could as easily or more easy accuse you of unsafe conduct not installing the update. And they could like explain something to prove its unsafe - more so than you could disprove. Besides all that, didn't you sign accepting the warranty as a contract when you purchased the car? It works both ways. You expect them to live up to the terms of the warranty but you figure you do not have to? You get to choose what's enforceable?

This sounds like the scenario where someone wants the benefits of coverage when it suits them. None of us are in a position or has the flexibility to get to choose what we want from an update and what we don't. Again, this sounds like a situation where someone wants to refuse an update that could have a fix that prevents an unsafe condition or action on either/both the driver & the car and you.

I stopped the upgrade to V9 from V8 a couple of years ago. But I am not sharing here how to do it, because I disagree with the idea or pausing or stopping updates.

The speedometer was moved to the far left of the screen due to many similar complaints over the past couple years from users like you saying it was too far out of the line of driving sight causing drivers to turn their neck and take their eyes off the road to see how fast they were going. I’d bet 90% of those same people are still complaining about the speedometer because it is slightly smaller and placed near other indicators of the same size. Some people will never be happy with changes. As MrTuna stated, some people buy a car and want it to remain the same. Tesla is the wrong car. Others like the knowledge that changes can come but only want changes they can specify, Tesla is the wrong car. There is no user customizable UI. If you want that, buy a late 90s Asian import with a double DIN stereo and add an aftermarket Android HU running Apple car play or android auto. Customize to hearts content.

Yeah. Funny thing is that some of those complaining don't even have or drive a Tesla! :rolleyes:

Owners generally look forward to firmware updates and I think we can all expect incremental changes to the UI to improve ergonomics and driveability.

The speedometer was moved to the far left of the screen due to many similar complaints over the past couple years from users like you saying it was too far out of the line of driving sight causing drivers to turn their neck and take their eyes off the road to see how fast they were going. I’d bet 90% of those same people are still complaining about the speedometer because it is slightly smaller and placed near other indicators of the same size. Some people will never be happy with changes. As MrTuna stated, some people buy a car and want it to remain the same. Tesla is the wrong car. Others like the knowledge that changes can come but only want changes they can specify, Tesla is the wrong car. There is no user customizable UI. If you want that, buy a late 90s Asian import with a double DIN stereo and add an aftermarket Android HU running Apple car play or android auto. Customize to hearts content.

Unsafe? They could as easily or more easy accuse you of unsafe conduct not installing the update....Again, this sounds like a situation where someone wants to refuse an update that could have a fix that prevents an unsafe condition or action on either/both the driver & the car and you....I stopped the upgrade to V9 from V8 a couple of years ago. But I am not sharing here how to do it, because I disagree with the idea or pausing or stopping updates.

@Akikki: I monitor the contents of the updates. If more come out that contain actual fixes or safety IMPROVEMENTS, and not marketing gimmicks to make more space for full self driving visualizations that very few Tesla owners use or want, I'll make a decision to install it. However, getting better "fart" apps and external speakers turned on is NOT worth compromising my safety by shrinking the speedometer and hiding it in a row of similar-looking but less important numerical icons. (Side note: Of course, who knows if my vehicle even has the speakers, given that Tesla randomly inserts things into some vehicles, but not others of the same Model, in the middle of a year-long model production cycle, making configuration control a nightmare? ;^) ) Also, you state that you stopped a previous update but...now you disagree with stopping updates? Umm...what? In any case, the great majority of feedback on here about the dangerous changes to driving information displays Tesla made with the Holiday Update is highly negative.

The speedometer was moved to the far left of the screen due to many similar complaints over the past couple years from users like you saying it was too far out of the line of driving sight causing drivers to turn their neck and take their eyes off the road to see how fast they were going.

@Mrbrock: What's the source of your information that Tesla moved the speedometer to the left to bring it closer to drivers' lines of sight? I haven't seen that stated officially, or even unofficially. Got a link? Source? Personally, I don't think any reasonable person would look at the layout before and after and claim, as you do, that moving it an inch and a half to the left makes up for massively shrinking it and moving it off its own prominent row and into a row of other, same sized, numerical icons. That assertion runs contrary to decades of research about human visual response times from both automotive and aircraft research. Would love to see any official Tesla explanation for the changes. Almost everyone I talk to seems to agree that safety took a backseat to making more room for full self driving visualizations on the screen. Not to mention other changes. Like...the battery indicator used to be green, yellow, or red based on available charge...a very handly way to tell at-a-glance if you needed to stop and charge. What possible rationale could they have for making it all grey now? It's crazy.

Not to mention other changes. Like...the battery indicator used to be green, yellow, or red based on available charge...a very handly way to tell at-a-glance if you needed to stop and charge. What possible rationale could they have for making it all grey now? It's crazy.

It's not "all grey" now. It is grey, yellow, or red based on available charge. They just deemphasized it when you don't really need to pay attention to it.

@Mrbrock[/USER]: What's the source of your information that Tesla moved the speedometer to the left to bring it closer to drivers' lines of sight? I haven't seen that stated officially, or even unofficially. Got a link? Source? Personally, I don't think any reasonable person would look at the layout before and after and claim, as you do, that moving it an inch and a half to the left makes up for massively shrinking it and moving it off its own prominent row and into a row of other, same sized, numerical icons. That assertion runs contrary to decades of research about human visual response times from both automotive and aircraft research. Would love to see any official Tesla explanation for the changes. Almost everyone I talk to seems to agree that safety took a backseat to making more room for full self driving visualizations on the screen. Not to mention other changes. Like...the battery indicator used to be green, yellow, or red based on available charge...a very handly way to tell at-a-glance if you needed to stop and charge. What possible rationale could they have for making it all grey now? It's crazy.

There is no source officially but read all the complaints on this forum pertaining to the M3 center screen and lack of a separate gauge cluster display. Also see the demand for some type of HUD or similar aftermarket gauge cluster. Without creating an additional piece of equipment or complete remodel of the interior the only way to accomplish this is to move the speed display as close to the drivers line of sight as possible. I agree with you on the shrinking of the size but at the end of the day it is still much larger than the font of most analog speedometers.